Environmentally friendly practices

Snao Cone

What environmentally friendly things do you do?   

94 members have voted

1. 1. What environmentally friendly things do you do?

• Green transportation (public transit, cycling, walking, etc)
    • Reduce/Reuse/Recycle
    • Composting or other green gardening
    • Solar panels/geothermal energy
    • Dietary choices (vegetarianism, locally produced food, etc)
    • Donations to environmental organizations
    • Activism
    • Other (share below!)

This poll is closed to new votes

As I have to drive, I live 37 miles away from where I work, I drive a small economical car with low emissions, I have solar panels on my home, I buy mostly second hand clothes from charity shops, I also donate clothes and other items to charity shops, I don't do composting as I don't have a garden, I try to buy local produce, so I do what I can for the environment.

on my days off work, I refuse to drive unless it's absolutely necessary, I like to walk or cycle, see a bit of what's around me 

Yesterday, I took my car in for its 90,000 mile service, whilst there, I did a bit of research into electric vehicles, to be honest, until they become more affordable, I couldn't afford to buy an electric vehicle, the other problem is the fact that they don't cover many miles on a charge, the installation of a PowerPoint, especially with no guarantee of a parking place, it isn't a viable option unfortunately

• 2 months later...
On 8/20/2017 at 4:16 PM, Famethyst said:

I also print double sided when possible and save paper printed on only one side for scratch paper. 

I do the same. I also try to use double-sided printed paper for other purposes.

Although I engage in a few environmentally progressive practices, the most rewarding is the educational work I do. The college I attend, Prescott College, is a member of the Ecoleague, which is a consortium of colleges dedicated to ecology, environmentalism, and sustainability. Although my field is Humanities with emphasis on Religion, I incorporate an environmental and sustainable aspect into my studies and teaching. Examining how social oppression leads to repressed ecological identity in minorities, for example. I truly believe when people 'know better' (better being subjective and based on individual preference) then they 'do better'. Since taking care of the planet is one thing I consider to be good and worthwhile, I try to do a better job at doing my part. Educating others so that they can decide how to care for (or not care for) the Earth, is the most rewarding work I've ever done.

On 8/17/2017 at 11:57 AM, Still said:

I do the most environmentally friendly thing of them all: not breeding :D

I like this.

In towns and cities I walk everywhere I can get away with unless I need the vehicle for carrying purposes. I grow all produce in a garden for the year. Anything breaks down I strip it for parts. I go dumpdiving at the landfill and pick out good things that people throw away. I pick up cans and bottles from the roads if I'm travelling. My house doesn't have solar or wind power yet but it will in the near future.

I transplant trees from clearcutting and ditch cleaning operations onto my propery in the fall. I scavenge most of my firewood from farmer's fields. They clear cut entire forests down and pile them up in the fields just to burn them. Granted I'll be burning the wood too, but I burn it for the purpose of heating, not because it was in my way. If I cut trees down on my property I replant new ones. I don't eat a lot of meat and get most of it from game hunters if I can. It doesn't go to waste at least. I don't scavenge roadkill but I know some other people around that do. I keep an eye out for construction sites and often take thier waste material.

I get washing water and water for the garden from a dugout(a manmade hole in the ground that's large enough to automatically collect and retain water) and all my drinking water from a spring. My toilet consists of the deepest hole I could dig by hand and build a small structure over. Old food goes to a compost pile or the chickens.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

I try to do as much as I can to limit my consumption of resources. In my time I've grown my own veg, composted, recycled, cycled and walked. I once drove a small smart car, but only for 5 years and that was when I lived on an island with a bridge to the mainland1

• 7 months later...

@Snao Cone

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to re-start new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived