Asexuals That Were Formerly Married

will123

Assexuality Affecting Marriage  

3 members have voted

1. 1. What biological sex are you?

• Female
    • Male
  2. 2. When you told your partner that you were asexual, did this result in the end of your marriage?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. If you answered no in the previous question and you are no longer married, were other factors at play that ended the marriage? (The marriage was doomed even without your disclosure of asexuality)

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

Sorry about the rambling pre-amble, but I will get to a point ;)

When I was telling a friend the other day about being asexual, I mentioned about society's pressures on people to get married and have children. He knew what I meant and related the situation of his 'sister-in-law'. Apparently after ten years of marriage and two children her husband came out as gay. I guess she asked why the 'sham' marriage then? From what my friend said, he told her that he was expected by his family to get married and have children. I think from what he as said in the past that the sister-in-law is divorced.

I have read some folks experiences here about aces that realized they were asexual after they were married. Anecdotally, it appears that the majority of these persons are female. Just wondering if this is actually the case.

Horse Ham Radio
11 minutes ago, will123 said:

Anecdotally, it appears that the majority of these persons are female. Just wondering if this is actually the case.

Most aces are female, so you would expect this :P

I was engaged. He used my Asexuality as an excuse to beat the shit out of me for refusing sex or wait on him hand and foot. One night I ran away and never went back. My dad told him he'd kill him if he came anywhere near. 

Thank fuck I didn't marry him.

• 2 weeks later...

Im a widow, so Im not sure if my situation counts..... but I honestly dont know if we would still be married. Probably not I guess. But it would have been due to my mental illness and other disabilities, more due to him not helping me in ways I needed or supporting me than just me being not good enough. He was allowed to sleep around if he wanted to, but never did.

I am divorced, but I can't really respond to this poll because I didn't know about asexuality so couldn't tell husband about it,  and the divorce was not because of that.

1 hour ago, tomboy4life said:

Im a widow, so Im not sure if my situation counts..... but I honestly dont know if we would still be married. Probably not I guess. But it would have been due to my mental illness and other disabilities, more due to him not helping me in ways I needed or supporting me than just me being not good enough. He was allowed to sleep around if he wanted to, but never did.

Tomboy, I have read other posts where an asexual (usually female) is thinking of entering into a 'sexless' relationship with a sexual person. Unless an allowance like you've mentioned is discussed, wouldn't the sexual person be likely to 'stray'?

Before I heard about asexuality, I was seeing a girl for almost two years. We were never sexually intimate over that period of time. Even without sex being part of our friendship, I really enjoyed our time together. The end was when she asked me if I saw the two of us having sex. I said unfortunately no. That evening was the last time I saw her. I wonder how things would've gone if I had said, you can be sexually active with others, but I'd still like to be friends and continue to socialize with you?

This was a weird one to try to answer, because while yes, I was married (for over ten years) and yes, my marriage did end primarily because of my asexuality....I did not actually even know there was such a term until 2014 when I read an article about it and, subsequently, found my way to AVEN.

• 11 months later...

@will123

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to re-start new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived