Darn teenagers

Snao Cone

I was at a baseball game last night (and stayed for a full three innings before getting bored) and an enthusiastic preteen sitting behind me was behaving in a humorously embarrassing way. I reasoned my way out of judgment for the guy based on how I vaguely recall acting for much of my younger years.

The same applies to the behaviour of teenagers here (or elsewhere on the internet, like Tumblr) who are, er, commented on by many older folks about being ridiculous and making up words. I did a lot of that when exploring ideas, and guess what - I am now a functional person who uses normal words to communicate with other people, and I don't demand what concepts I invented (or so I believed at the time, as they were new to my growing mind) be recognized and adopted by everyone.

I think the more out-there ideas that are making people feel uncomfortable are just a thought process for young people exploring themselves. And they come to places online because they don't feel like they can relate to enough of their peers. If that makes some older folks feel like they're being pushed out of this environment...well, I'm sure not everyone goes through this phase, and I'd imagine as time passes some parts of our past can slip from our memories, but I think we should give younger ones a little room to play with language, and that we should be considerate of this when imparting our wisdom that these details won't matter as much in 15 years' time.

Elftober Country

The first thing that popped into my head after reading this was "stop trying to make fetch happen" Oh lordy, how old am I :ph34r:

Sage Raven Domino

I agree with Snao. Without experimentation, there's no progress, and you never know if your latest invention is viable until it passes or fails the test of time. A lot of genius inventions seemed ridiculous at first.

You know what's wrong with today's youth? They don't have enough life experience. That's where they've gone wrong. ;)

I'm missing this completely. Probably because of where I do/don't go on here.

Could you suggest a thread I might read to experience/understand these things?

3 minutes ago, Midland Tyke said:

I'm missing this completely. Probably because of where I do/don't go on here.

This topic is inspired by this thread in which a concern is raised about how allowing people to explore gender (among other things) is ruining the site for older people.

Sage Raven Domino
5 minutes ago, Midland Tyke said:

Do you mean that you wish to get familiar with neologisms? Well, look at the gender and pronoun sections under the avatars of the posters whom you encounter while reading any thread - they're often filled out quite creatively :P

Perhaps the current hottest thread about gender terminology is the galactian alignments thread.

4 minutes ago, Snao Çoñé said:

This topic is inspired by this thread in which a concern is raised about how allowing people to explore gender (among other things) is ruining the site for older people.

Thanks, I'm aware of that thread. I've contributed to it. What I've not seen is where older people have been made to feel unwelcome by teenager behaviour.

Elftober Country

Oh god, is this gonna get moved to Hot Box :ph34r::blink::o

Sage Raven Domino

^^^ To clarify, I think that, while terms for some of the 'extra gender alignments' are needed, it takes time to think of good terms for them that would be self-explanatory enough.

chair jockey

We are experiencing the temporary predominance of young people on AVEN because people born between the birth of the internet and the beginning of the ubiquity of smartphones happen to be young. In a couple of decades they will be older, and most young people will be using online media other than the internet, so AVEN will be a place predominantly for "older asexuals."

Sage Raven Domino

It depends on whether the AVEN Board wishes to expand the network to new communication channels once they appear. Never say 'never'.

chair jockey
1 minute ago, EMPrise said:

It depends on whether the AVEN Board wishes to expand the network to new communication channels once they appear. Never say 'never'.

Still, people born before the internet came into existence or even before personal computers existed (raises hand) will increasingly not be part of the living population, while older living people will have been born during the internet's existence. Then it won't be a matter of the internet being largely a place for young people any longer.

Sage Raven Domino

On a side note, new forms of having sex may eventually become mainstream, and some of the current aces will become grey-sexual due to fancying those new forms of sex. In particular, I'm looking forward to having a VR girlfriend next or even this decade even though I don't like sex when it's done the old way.

50 minutes ago, EMPrise said:

Do you mean that you wish to get familiar with neologisms? Well, look at the gender and pronoun sections under the avatars of the posters whom you encounter while reading any thread - they're often filled out quite creatively :P

Perhaps the current hottest thread about gender terminology is the galactian alignments thread.

Stellarian Dragon....* looks at custom member title* Oh wait... :D    

My main experience with teenagers in the outside world recently is them being angry and shouting abuse at me from under the bridge. Online teenagers are much less scary. :ph34r:

Good thing I'm a teen that's shy and never talks I guess.

I'm a teenager and teenagers annoy me, at least at school. no one ever shuts up and they're always pushing each other or arguing about something stupid.

Sage Raven Domino

One's physical age isn't always an accurate indicator of their 'mental age', though. I'm middle-aged physically but teenaged mentally :P Vice versa, you're likely maturer mentally than most of the teens surrounding you.

30 minutes ago, Kyon. said:

My main experience with teenagers in the outside world recently is them being angry and shouting abuse at me from under the bridge. Online teenagers are much less scary. :ph34r:

Wait, sorry, were those teenagers or do you have a Troll infestation in real life?

Elftober Country
Spoiler

4802abeb6f2ef7989d734a836d03e318--cyber-

Gender is intertwined with sexuality, and therefore, with asexuality. Gender talk makes sense as a topic for an asexuality website. 

the youth bring creativity, the elderly bring wisdom. 

chair jockey
6 minutes ago, Teagan1 said:

the youth bring creativity, the elderly bring wisdom. 

And the middle aged take American jobs much more than immigrants do. ;) *

* This middle-ager ain't taking anyone's job, though, so there are exceptions.

Autumn Season
13 hours ago, (D)anny said:

I'm a teenager and teenagers annoy me, at least at school. no one ever shuts up and they're always pushing each other or arguing about something stupid.

Ugh, don't remind me. I'm so glad I'm out of this hell.

By the way, I thought this kind of behavior was normal. But mom told me that the children and teenagers were quiet when she went to school. QUIET! It's hard to believe.

6 minutes ago, Autumn Season said:

Ugh, don't remind me. I'm so glad I'm out of this hell.

By the way, I thought this kind of behavior was normal. But mom told me that the children and teenagers were quiet when she went to school. QUIET! It's hard to believe.

it's weird how schools went from,"sit down and be quiet" and everyone listens to trying to say "sit down and be quiet" and no one listens.

They stopped beating children, at one point.

17 hours ago, (D)anny said:

Unfortunately, it still happens even as adults. 

When I was young, I was always taught I'd grow up to be a heterosexual woman, because that was the only possibility for anyone assigned female at birth. If not for all these teenagers, I'd probably still be sitting miserably in that box, wondering why I didn't feel like I fitted there. So I am all in favour of these crazy, modern teenagers with their crazy, modern genders and sexualities, and I will fight for their right to make up as many new words as they want to, if it'll save people like me from decades of lonely misery! :D

...That's online though. In person, teenagers almost always terrify me. :ph34r:

I wish the new ideas about gender had been around when I was growing up.  I think my younger life would have been a lot different if these new ideas had been out there then.

Sadly, more fluid ideas about gender don't seem to have reached parts of Yorkshire yet.  I have talked to people from round here who are disgusted whenever Grayson Perry or Eddie Izzard appear on the telly.

Archived