What is being Genderfluid?

Rosette

I know the general basics of it, but it still doesn't make much sense to me. For instance, I usually see people compare it to what kinds of products you like or clothing. And to me that seems odd because when I was younger, I used to love pretty much anything guy related, for instance only buying toys from the boy's section at stores. And I also don't like wearing dresses (never have) and prefer to wear pants and on random occasions will be okay with wearing a dress if it's my own self making that decision. But what I don't really get is how does what kinds of items you like make you genderfluid? Or is it just the feeling of being male and/or female instead? 

I've always liked guy things and generally wear male clothing such as t-shirts and want to buy things such as ties in the future but I don't think of my interest in such things as making me 'feel more male'. I think even if I wear such things or buy such things, that I'm still female. 

Sorry if this seems lame. :huh: Or uninformed in any way. 

Luftschlosseule

Imagine the sea. It is changing constantly, swept away or coming back to the shores. It's always there, but never the same.

So it is when you're genderfluid. For me, my personal spectrum goes from woman to agender. Some moments I am more on the side of woman, some moments I am more agender - but not on a day to day basis. It changes through the day. It's different how big the change is, on most days I am more on the agender side of things than not, but since yesterday I am more woman than agender.

It's an innate sense of self. Tied to it is what I like, what I feel comfortable in, and since my clothing is visible and I have clear terms to name it it's easier to speak about that.

I have phases in which I like a certain piece of clothing, or a certain style or hairstyle, but that is over months, unlike my genderfluidity which is changing every minute. Often so subtle that I won't notice it, and then there are very confusing days on which everything changes on a noticeable level every few minutes.

I'm mostly shifting between agender and transmasculine. My gender usually doesn't change that often or quick. But I like the sea metaphor. Sometimes I can feel a gender change coming for days, often my gender ebbs away really slowly too.

My dysphoria affects how I dress, but my style is pretty consistent I'd say. But I guess for some people it's a pretty clear and distinctive shift, so their expression changes accordingly.

Enne Kristin

Seems the genderfluid population in germany is quite high ;) third person from FRG here :)

I am identifying mostly "inbetween", neither masculine or feminine, or a combination of neutral, masculine, feminine. The intensity of those components shifts very intensely sometimes, though. So there are times I feel very feminine, on much rarer occasions very masculine. Or ... neutral gender, even absence of gender. Sometimes, this is disturbing, especially if a "switch" in gender happens suddenly, or some changes occur quickly one after another. This happened to me often when I was younger (I am 42 now...), today I almost can control "who I am today". But it may still happen that I am surprised entirely by myself. My mannerism, the way how I talk etc change, I make decisions differently, I react differently, I stand differently, I walk differently... So it  happens that though I present according to my agab, people call me m'am, "Chefin" (german: female boss) or talk about me as "the young woman with glasses"...

I use many labels for what I am... Genderfluid, Librafluid, Androgyne, Multigender...

Archived