Do I Fit the Label?

Blackmare

So my entire life I've never had a crush, okay? Not one inkling of romantic interest in 15 years on this earth. But I've also been behind the growth curve for the past 4 years, meaning my body thinks that I'm eleven years old right now. Keeping that in mind, could I still be aromantic? I've heard many people say that they knew their sexuality/romantic identity very young, but I've also heard that romantic (and sexual) attraction happens later when a person's body has matured enough, which mine has not. So can I still be aromantic?

I believe that you can know, even when your body isn't mature. I knew when I was eight; my knowing resulted from me sitting on the floor for a while and logicking out why romantic attraction makes no sense and why I do not want to partake in it. 

Honestly, if you want to use "aromantic" to refer to yourself, go right ahead. The definition of aromantic is someone who doesn't experience romantic attraction. You don't, so you fit. And this sort of thing is fluid. If it changes sometime, it changes, and that's fine.

You definitely can be. It's always possible that it may change in the future, but there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to call yourself aromantic now, even if it does change. If you feel like aromantic is a label that fits you right now, I say go ahead and use it!

It's entirely possible. As a romantic ace, I got crushes very young and I've been behind the growth curve too - this to say, if you haven't felt romantic attraction like a crush by now, then you are probably either aromantic or grey/demi-romantic. Whatever you feel describes you best, we're all here to encourage you as you figure this out :cake:

Lana Overland

The thing to keep in mind is that your sexuality isn't like a tattoo. If you feel that you're ace right now whether that be "because of" your age or history or any illness, you can describe yourself as ace if that describes your experience. Don't worry yourself too much in what you might feel in the future, if you don't feel attracted to anyone now then you could be ace if you want to describe yourself like that. If you change you're mind or you decide that it doesn't describe you later on then you can change how you describe yourself. The important thing to keep in mind is to keep an open mind, you're young so it might change. You can continue to experiment even if you're ace, and if it doesn't fit you that's okay, but if ace describes you now, go for it

I experienced romantic leanings as young as 6, when my best friend in school was a boy named Michael, and we actually talked about getting married when we were older. I had a mad crush on Mr. Spock in Star Trek at the age of 9, when the series first aired. I knew I was romantic well before I knew anything about sex (although I had an inkling even at a very young age before I knew what sex was, that I wasn't interested in going that far), and a good four decades before I heard of asexuality and realized I was an Ace.

Archived