Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

OrangesAndLemons

OrangesAndLemons

I'm romantic, but not strongly.  And I find most romance books uncomfortable to read.  Now, I also love classic books the best and I have heard a lot about the classic Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte.  What I want to know is: is it an uncomfortable book to read for all of those mildly/completely aromantic, since it is a romance?   Is it worth buying/reading?

arekathevampyre

No . As an aro person , I like this book a lot . I read a graphic novel version of it (accurate as the book itself - now I need to find comic classics again !!l) and at the point , I don't know I was aro yet . The romance is subtle and not sexual so I didn't have any issues reading this . Any books by Emily Bronte and her sister Charloette Bronte are really good . Their other sister Anne is also a writer but her books are harder to find . Super worth buying . Classics are really classics for a reason - modern day romo books tend to be sexualised and just ewww

knittinghistorian

Really, the book isn't mostly about the romance at all, in my opinion.  It's about what a character in Stephen King called "the effective half-life of evil".  It's about how one truly vicious, evil person can tear a family to pieces, but as soon as he's gone, things start to heal, and his life's work of destroying everyone near him comes to nothing.

I've read it and didn't find it romantic at all. It's more of a gothic melodrama, and the romantic relationships are dysfunctional and strange.

Luftschlosseule

Nah, the romance is more on a side note.

What helped me with these classics, Jane Austen and such, is the realisation that it's not neccessarily about romance, but about personal freedom. The women don't get to know a man really well, yet have to decide to surrender all their rights to them. If they marry, they have to obey, and if they refuse to marry, they'll spend their lives in seclusion. They have to find a guy whom they can stand to look at every day and who will allow them to live as freely as possible, without any violence 'cause in that case, nobody would help them.

Archived