Ms. Maya the Bee

Homer   
Homer
9 hours ago, .Lia said:

Imagine someone being able to ignore all staff members. It means staff members couldn't see their posts. And so therefore, their posts couldn't be hidden or edited or removed, regardless of their content.

:huh: Isn't it the other way round? If I put (member 1) on my ignore list, I won't see (member 1)'s posts. However they would still be able to see mine, even if they are a mod, right? It's an ignore function, not a "hide" function. I cannot hide my posts from you by putting you on ignore. Or is there something I miss?

Other than that, I agree. If I put a mod on ignore, I'd miss out on greenies, for example. Not helpful. Plus, a member's perception of a post is beyond any poster's control. If (member 1) posts something like "grass is green" and someone decides to complain about how offensive this claim is, there's nothing (member 1) can do about it. There's nothing (member 1) can do about the way people perceive posts. They might have an intention, but there's no way to guarantee that everyone will get it. Even if "allowing people to control what they see" were a thing (which basically would require mind reading), there's still no way to have any influence on what one thinks of this post.

There are rules about what people are allowed to post on here (see ToS), just as much as there are rules about who's eligible to run for elections (which are displayed in the opening post of every single "New Staff Member Needed" thread).

--

Has there ever been a case where an elected member was rejected by the backroom staff? As in, we know folks voted for you, but we don't want you here, kthxbye?

Edited by Homer
Holy shit, putting "member 1" in [ ]s is tagging someone o.O

.Lia   
.Lia
25 minutes ago, Homer said:

:huh: Isn't it the other way round? If I put (member 1) on my ignore list, I won't see (member 1)'s posts. However they would still be able to see mine, even if they are a mod, right? It's an ignore function, not a "hide" function. I cannot hide my posts from you by putting you on ignore. Or is there something I miss?

I want to reply to your whole post but it will have to wait until I get to work. For now, this bit: I was under the impression that once on ignore, on either side, the users couldn't see each other. Maybe that's off a bit as I don't use the ignore button. I'll test some things out with the test account, then :)

Homer   
Homer

Taken from http://www.asexuality.org/en/ignore/:

Ignoring a user allows you to block some or all of their content from showing. Users are not notified that you are ignoring them.

So they'd have to "ignore me back" in order to not see what I post.

skıt   
skıt

The problem is PMs get blocked too. If someone blocked every Admod it would be near impossible to communicate with them.

.Lia   
.Lia
1 minute ago, skıt said:

The problem is PMs get blocked too. If someone blocked every Admod it would be near impossible to communicate with them.

I was going to bring this up, as well, once I got settled.

You also wouldn't be able to see updates to the ToS (Admods post what was added/changed), declass logs (if you blocked all staff and not just Admods), election threads, etc.

Homer   
Homer
16 minutes ago, skıt said:

Well it depends since you can pick what kind of content you want to block, but I don't see why anyone would elect to block posts, but not PMs of a fellow AVENite (Admod or not)

.Lia   
.Lia
5 hours ago, Homer said:

Has there ever been a case where an elected member was rejected by the backroom staff? As in, we know folks voted for you, but we don't want you here, kthxbye?

Missed this.

No, this has never happened, to my knowledge. If someone is eligible to run, and there are no concerns (that are really serious concerns) and they win, they're in until the leave or until they're removed because of a ToS breach (or they're not re-elected if PT). 

Ms. Maya the Bee   
Ms. Maya the Bee
4 hours ago, skıt said:

Not necessarily, my ignore list currently still allows anyone on it to pm me (a change I made when running in an election)

skıt   
skıt

I'm pretty sure it's impossible to make it so you can ignore Admods one way and not the other. Actually, I'm pretty sure it's impossible to change how the ignore settings work on here at all. 

.Lia   
.Lia
3 minutes ago, Ms. Maya the Bee said:

Not necessarily, my ignore list currently still allows anyone on it to pm me (a change I made when running in an election)

Just because you made that change for the election, doesn't mean everyone else will make that decision, or that you would considering how emotional you are in regards to this subject.

Homer   
Homer

Bonus, there's a fair chance people didn't even notice that change. Ages ago, I tried to PM someone and they had their messenger disabled. I'm not inclined to check whether this has changed. They don't do PMs, that's all I needed to know.

Skycaptain   
Skycaptain

@Homer, reference members being rejected as staff despite being elected by the membership. When I stood for a second time (after being demodded for collecting a warning) there were concerns raised by the extant admod team as to whether I'd fit in, learnt from the mistakes I made etc, but I was accepted, and I hope that I have repaid their faith. 

The AVEN staff listen to the membership, and ideally heed their opinions, or at least state why (for legal or practical reasons) a majority viewpoint of members cannot be implemented 

Kyon.   
Kyon.

Just wondering - if someone disables their messenger, can they still receive messages from admods?

Ciri   
Ciri
31 minutes ago, Kyon. said:

Just wondering - if someone disables their messenger, can they still receive messages from admods?

Nope. I tried it. 

SapphireDelvai   
SapphireDelvai

Add this extension:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/smart-web-filter/bhjmndmoehjnjgpkmbokmnplifghldlo?hl=en

Add the member's member title or username. If you add the username, you will not see when someone quotes and will instead have a "Show spoiler" button for all quotes and posts by that person. If you put the member title in, you just won't see the posts that belong to them. Click enter
Change the ration to 44 if you're only blocking their posts

Change the ration to 120 if you're blocking posts and quotes 

Cons:

Big spoiler button but then again isn't that what the ignore feature is already?

If you block quotes by a person you can't see what another member responded to that quoted person. idk why you'd want to if you had that person blocked but just throwing it out there.

Pros:

The very thing that is being asked for here

Law of Circles   
Law of Circles
7 minutes ago, SapphireDelvai said:

Cons:

Big spoiler button but then again isn't that what the ignore feature is already?

If you block quotes by a person you can't see what another member responded to that quoted person. idk why you'd want to if you had that person blocked but just throwing it out there.

I'd like to add that if the person you're blocking is an admod, you won't see green/red posts by the admod anymore. It seems like anyone using this extension to block admods would have to accept that the chance that they might get warned because they missed a greenie and continued doing something they were asked to stop.

SapphireDelvai   
SapphireDelvai
5 minutes ago, Law of Circles said:

I'd like to add that if the person you're blocking is an admod, you won't see green posts by the admod anymore. It seems like anyone using this feature to block admods would have to accept that the chance that they might get warned because they missed a green post and continued doing something they were asked to stop.

Unless you stay out of the forums that mod moderates. Which I know a lot of people already do so that's not going to be much of an issue for them.

Also this is just to get rid of problematic posters that are hateful/rude. I don't think it should be used just to avoid green posts in general

but yeah, if someone has a green post happen and doesn't see it, that's on them. I personally won't have a problem though as I never visit those forums.

Law of Circles   
Law of Circles
6 minutes ago, SapphireDelvai said:

Unless you stay out of the forums that mod moderates. Which I know a lot of people already do so that's not going to be much of an issue for them.

Sometimes mods make green posts outside of their designated forum. If it's an especially heated situation, sometimes a mod might prefer to take immediate action rather than wait for that forum's mod to come online. Also, mods often cover forums for mods that are on leave of absence. Staying outside of a specific moderator's forum may reduce the chance that you'd encounter greenies from them, but there are still situations where having them blocked could be problematic.

I'm not saying people shouldn't be allowed to do it, but it's a definitely a "use at your own risk" sort of thing, IMO.

SapphireDelvai   
SapphireDelvai

yeah. the post was updated to reflect that. Again, I know me and a few others don't go to that forum so it will be useful for some if nothing else.

Skycaptain   
Skycaptain

Speaking as a moderator here, I don't think putting a staff member on ignore, then missing an official notice would be well received. It wouldn't just be green posts that get missed, but policy announcements, acknowledgements that reports have been received etc. 

Speaking as a member, genuine antipathy between a staff member and a member to the extent that either would want to place the other on ignore is an extremely rare occurrence. In such a situation could either party let it be known so a third party could relay essential messages? 

SapphireDelvai   
SapphireDelvai

So after 24 hours of using this my results are pretty good so far. With the problematic posts now hidden, things actually feel calmer here than before. I've been using the member title method so far, and I still see all the quotes in case anyone says something interesting in response to the ignored members.

SkyWorld   
SkyWorld

If it's so problematic, then it should be reported.

*Edit: I think the situation can be best handled privately with the admod team rather than publicly.

Janus DarkFox   
Janus DarkFox

If one is able to ignore admods, they will also never be able to receive private messages, PMs also be nudges, warns and bans, take any discussions about a mod with an admin, an admin with another admin or maybe webmaster, only course of possible solution.

Teagan1   
Teagan1
On 8/12/2017 at 9:10 AM, skıt said:

is it possible to only prevent this form of blocking mods? or at least to let members block a mod's posts only? the only problem is pm's not being possible. 

.Lia   
.Lia
2 minutes ago, Teagan1 said:

is it possible to only prevent this form of blocking mods? or at least to let members block a mod's posts only? the only problem is pm's not being possible. 

That's not the "only" problem. If you don't see an Admods posts, you won't see green/red posts, which drastically increase the chance of a warning. Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean you can't be warned for continuing on the same topic that an Admod asked you to stop.

Teagan1   
Teagan1
Just now, .Lia said:

If you don't see an Admods posts, you won't see green/red posts,

the horror the horror

Just now, .Lia said:

which drastically increase the chance of a warning.

on average, not for a single person who knows they're blocking admods. 

1 minute ago, .Lia said:

Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean you can't be warned for continuing on the same topic that an Admod asked you to stop.

this does not negate the issue that sometimes the peer-level relationship between one member and one mod can go sour and the member wishes to not see the mods posts - some mods who the Majority of their posts aren't green and are just their style of writing and personality and opinions. and there are more than one mod. if a mod finds out, oh this person has blocked me, then they know to avoid that person... 

Teagan1   
Teagan1

@Ms. Maya the Bee have you reported the mod you wish to block? if they make you feel unwelcome in the community imo they're not performing their duties and the staff being allerted to this seems like a logical thing to do. or if you don't want to be known as the person who complained, did you private message a mod you trust, and request discretion in your complaint of the mod? 

.Lia   
.Lia
3 minutes ago, Teagan1 said:

the horror the horror

on average, not for a single person who knows they're blocking admods. 

this does not negate the issue that sometimes the peer-level relationship between one member and one mod can go sour and the member wishes to not see the mods posts - some mods who the Majority of their posts aren't green and are just their style of writing and personality and opinions. and there are more than one mod. if a mod finds out, oh this person has blocked me, then they know to avoid that person... 

Admods want to prevent all warnings if they could. Obviously that's not possible, but they'd rather post green/red and prevent a warning than just hand out a warning. Warning a member is a lot of work with the system that is currently in place. 

Regardless: the Admods will not change the ability to ignore Staff within the forum software, and they won't be changing their stance on using outside sources to do so.

SapphireDelvai   
SapphireDelvai

I've been using a Tampermonkey code for the past week or so which works wonders. No "show this post" button or anything. A few flaws but it's much better than my previous version to be able to ignore whoever you want.

PM and I'll send you the code (it's a bit too long for this post)