Ms. Maya the Bee

Ms. Maya the Bee   
Ms. Maya the Bee

Aven users are encouraged to put users on their ignore list to avoid conflict,

if a member happens to be a moderator, declass team member, or project team member however, it's not allowed.

You can't add those members to the list, and if you happen to have one on your list from before they had that position, it still acts like they aren't on the list.

It's a big problem when a staff member is causing members to feel like this also.

.Lia   
.Lia

This isn't really a "problem". It's logistics. If members could put staff members on ignore, it could cause a lot of problems. It's not something that will change, ever.

Ms. Maya the Bee   
Ms. Maya the Bee
6 minutes ago, Ms. Maya the Bee said:

It's a big problem when a staff member is causing members to feel like this also.

So then, my second point.

Ms. Maya the Bee   
Ms. Maya the Bee

Aven members are messaged to tell them to put members on ignore to avoid conflict.

It can't be done when the cause of conflict is one of the aven staff.

.Lia   
.Lia

I addressed your second point in my post. It's not something that will change, because members being able to put staff on ignore could cause more problems than most could come up with. Imagine someone being able to ignore all staff members. It means staff members couldn't see their posts. And so therefore, their posts couldn't be hidden or edited or removed, regardless of their content. It will not change. If you have a problem with a staff member, then don't read the posts that they post as members. It's the only solution, and it will continue to be the only solution (unless the staff member is explicitly breaking the ToS, then PM an Admin).

Edited by .Lia

Ms. Maya the Bee   
Ms. Maya the Bee

Then there's a problem with what content staff members are allowed to post.

.Lia   
.Lia
Just now, Ms. Maya the Bee said:

Then there's a problem with what content  staff members are allowed to post.

Staff members are allowed to post the same content as any other member, for the most part. In most areas, the guidelines for what staff is allowed to post are more restrictive than they are for members. So either you're reading posts you're sensitive to, and in that case you may want to avoid those topics all together, or you're misunderstanding ToS clauses and how they apply to AVEN members and staff.

Ms. Maya the Bee   
Ms. Maya the Bee

Not a good enough solution.

.Lia   
.Lia

Only one you got. Sorry.

Ms. Maya the Bee   
Ms. Maya the Bee

There needs to be a better one. Allow users to control what content they see.

Don't allow AVEN staff to make members feel like they need to escape.

.Lia   
.Lia

First, you control what you see. You control what you do and do not click on. 

Second, if a staff member is posting as a member and within the ToS, there is nothing staff can do about how you feel about those posts.

What would you have the Admods do, then? Demod every Admod who offend a member? Tell every Admod they can only post about puppies and rainbows and penguins and cake? Have every Admod's member posts "vetted" by members before they're posted? 

Ms. Maya the Bee   
Ms. Maya the Bee
Just now, .Lia said:

First, you control what you see. You control what you do and do not click on. 

By that logic just don't go anywhere on the whole forum.

.Lia   
.Lia

If someone is that sensitive to all topics posted on AVEN, then a break from AVEN might not be the worst idea in the world.

Also, when reading threads, you notice who posts (or you can look) and skip over the posts of the people who you don't wish to see content from.

Ms. Maya the Bee   
Ms. Maya the Bee

"just don't go there" is a really poor solution that doesn't work, especially when the members who aren't allowed to be ignored can post ANYWHERE

Ms. Maya the Bee   
Ms. Maya the Bee

No. That doesn't work.

.Lia   
.Lia

So answer my question, rather than ignore it. You want a better solution. Come up with one.

Of course it works. You simply don't want to find a solution, you just want to complain about what you perceive as a problem.

Ms. Maya the Bee   
Ms. Maya the Bee
Just now, .Lia said:

So answer my question, rather than ignore it. You want a better solution. Come up with one.

I already did. Allow users to control who can be on their ignore list. 

.Lia   
.Lia
Just now, Ms. Maya the Bee said:

I already did. Allow users to control who can be on their ignore list. 

Yeah no. That's off the table. You will not be able to ignore staff. Find something else.

Ms. Maya the Bee   
Ms. Maya the Bee
Just now, .Lia said:

Yeah no. That's off the table. You will not be able to ignore staff. Find something else.

Change that rule. 

Don't hire people who make members feel unsafe.

.Lia   
.Lia

Admods/AVEN doesn't hire anyone.

That rule will not be changed.

Find. Another. Solution. And then maybe Admods can discuss that idea as a possible new policy.

Ms. Maya the Bee   
Ms. Maya the Bee

Don't allow them to become staff. It's the same as hiring.

.Lia   
.Lia

No, it's not. AVEN/Admods don't hire anyone, and they don't endorse anyone for staff. The community votes for them. 

Ms. Maya the Bee   
Ms. Maya the Bee

The restrictions are too low.

.Lia   
.Lia

You've yet to make any suggestions to fix your perceived problems.

kelico   
kelico

This is something I've wondered about before. But unfortunately, there would be a problem if members could put admods/staff on ignore (so they wouldn't see important greenie messages or receive PM's, too, I think). I do understand what you're saying though, Maya. At this point, all that can be done when an admod is making a member feel unsafe is to bring up the issue with an Admin (via PM), or if there are posts that might be breaking the ToS, report them. 

Ms. Maya the Bee   
Ms. Maya the Bee

I want to be left alone now, I can't deal with any more messages now

Polygon   
Polygon

Er, there's always the option of just not reading stuff that certain people post (looking at the name first before reading the post). Is that not viable? 

Jayce   
Jayce

My ignore list is empty because i simply don't put people on ignore, do i always agree with what they post? No but i don't see a reason to put staff on ignore because they say something i don't like. If i had to do that the many times i disagreed with my team mates when i was in the backroom, only a few would survive :P besides, I deal with humans who have opinions, not everything can be rainbows and fluffy unicorns.

Maya, your concern is genuine but please try to understand that it's not possible to have staff on ignore if their job is to enforce the TOS on AVEN. You can always put them on ignore once they've stepped down, besides: Admods will be put under review should they do unacceptable things, that has always been the rule in the backroom.

chair jockey   
chair jockey
7 hours ago, Jayce said:

Admods will be put under review should they do unacceptable things, that has always been the rule in the backroom.

Demonstrably false. But also off-topic for this thread, so ignore it.

Jayce   
Jayce
1 hour ago, chair jockey said:

Demonstrably false. But also off-topic for this thread, so ignore it.

Oh? Tell me why that info is false and why it's off topic/ should be ignored? I was responding to the OP's concern's, wasn't I?

I've also got plenty backroom experience to back up my arguement.