• Holy crap how many apples are there?!
    • I dunno -- I've never really noticed any differences
    • Not entirely convinced half of these are even real
    • Any apple as long as it's in a pie
    • The red one?
    • oranges > apples

This poll is closed to new votes

Apathetic Echidna

I like Jonathan (which is definitely different from Jonagold) and Golden Delicious (which is also very different from Jonagold). I do not like Jonagold :angry:

Breathing....

I like my pink ladies but I rarely have them. Apple crumble is my favourite desert.

Jazz, Granny Smith, and there was a third one I really liked but I don't remember what it was. I think it began with a P?

Unfortunately, I'm allergic to apple skin, so I can't really eat them.

Also, my uncle runs a Facebook about apples.

11 hours ago, Mad Broom said:

Jazz, Granny Smith, and there was a third one I really liked but I don't remember what it was. I think it began with a P?

Unfortunately, I'm allergic to apple skin, so I can't really eat them.

Also, my uncle runs a Facebook about apples.

The only P's I can think of are Pink Lady and Pacific Rose, but those were already up there. A quick search also revealed Paula Red. It's near impossible to create a comprehensive list though.

That's really cool! Do you know what it's called? Does he have his own orchard?

I don't have a specific preference, but do generally prefer the yellow ones or ones that are part yellow/part red. The main thing though, is whichever kind they are they need to be juicy, flavorful, and definitely not mealy! :) The trouble is I don't know how to tell just from appearance and feel, so I try to pick ones that look fresh and un-bruised. I think sometimes, with yellow varieties you can have a better chance of good apples if you can see some "blushes" where they ripened in the sun on the tree (or maybe I'm just fooling myself?).

Never heard of most of those.

Granny Smith are my favorite. Plain, or, covered in caramel.

9 hours ago, daveb said:

I don't have a specific preference, but do generally prefer the yellow ones or ones that are part yellow/part red. The main thing though, is whichever kind they are they need to be juicy, flavorful, and definitely not mealy! :) The trouble is I don't know how to tell just from appearance and feel, so I try to pick ones that look fresh and un-bruised. I think sometimes, with yellow varieties you can have a better chance of good apples if you can see some "blushes" where they ripened in the sun on the tree (or maybe I'm just fooling myself?).

Hmm. In my personal experience, apples of the same variety tend to be pretty consistent in terms of mealiness (this is why I don't like Red Delicious or McIntosh), though I suppose improper storage can make them softer (I don't know how to tell from looking at them though). I've taken to keeping a running list of apple varieties I've tried and the ratings I've given them, and I try to try each variety at least twice to figure out what I like.

On 8/15/2017 at 1:45 PM, Famethyst said:

The only P's I can think of are Pink Lady and Pacific Rose, but those were already up there. A quick search also revealed Paula Red. It's near impossible to create a comprehensive list though.

That's really cool! Do you know what it's called? Does he have his own orchard?

I'm almost always wrong when I guess what letter things begin with. None of those sound familiar.

He doesn't have an orchard, and the group is Apple Aficionados. It has 8 members (including myself), hasn't been active in 2 years, and I think it's private.

Any apple as long as it's in a cake :) Also, apple-flavoured snacks. Not a big fan of apples otherwise, unless they are really sweet and juicy.

Also oranges >>>>>>>>>>>>> apples :P

SpaceDustbin

Elstars and Fuji! Though I use elstar or jonagold mostly for cooking & baking

I'd say one of my favorite apple varieties has to be "Autumn Glory". It's a relatively new variety of apple that I think tastes pretty good.

That being said, I actually don't eat apples very often because the texture often bothers me (I have really sensitive teeth).

• 3 weeks later...

I don't buy apples at the grocery store. So the apples I like only grow in 6a. I like Paula red, Sumer Rambo, golden delicious, melrose, macintosh, etc. I've never met a local apple I hated. 🍏 🍎

• 3 months later...

You forgot mutsu (tastes kinda like a granny smith).

• 1 month later...

Big apple fan here, and I like all sorts of apples. I voted for Braeburn, Jazz, and Pink Lady as my preference though. 

Mezzo Forte

Pink Ladies are my favorites, but I still do enjoy honeycrisp and golden delicious ones too.

However, my Floridian blood mandates that I declare oranges as better than apples. Pretty sure I'd lose my citizenship otherwise. :P

Gala, fugi, McIntosh.

Another vote for Cox's orange pippin.

And the apples off my vigorous apple tree, which are somewhat similar, fairly acidic and aromatic. Which is lucky, because it produces about 5 times more apples than my grafted apple tree, but I don't know the variety. It's at least 90 years old and still going strong.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't tried many apple varieties, and the ones I have tried... the crappy/tasteless ones from the grocery store... don't seem to have a huge difference in flavor that I can tell. I don't really like them. And so, I rarely eat apples at all. 

that said, I have picked Cortland apples straight off the trees I rode beneath on my friend's horses, and those were some of them best apples I have ever tried. (we don't have them Here. This makes me sad.)

• 5 months later...

@Famethyst

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to re-start new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived