was the ouija board actually made to be a game ?

arekathevampyre

arekathevampyre

Hey all . 

I am sure most of you heard of the ouija board (and the horrors of it) . 

Read online that the ouija board was made to be a game when it was first invented (and marketed to be a family game) . 

How true is this ? 

Can anyone validate this ? 

PS : if you have any ouija board related horror stories , please post them over at the paranormal thread I created a few months back . Thanks !!

"Summon a demon the whole family can enjoy!"

I propose this thread become mostly slogan pitches.

Not really because I'm a mod and have to make sure things stay on topic, but that would be fun.

I've never used a ouija board though nor know it's history :P

It was supposed to be a game. The name is a combination of oui and ja, both words for yes in French and German.

My sister and her friend thought it would be cool to use one at our house a long time ago. While they were using it there was this extremely loud bumping noise that sounded like something picked up the washing machine and threw it onto the floor. I'm a skeptic but I still have no plausible explanation for that phenomenon.

9 minutes ago, Puck said:

"Summon a demon the whole family can enjoy!"

(screaming is heard in the distance) Oh don't worry! That's screams of joy and excitement! :D 

But anyway, I always found this kind of stuff interesting. Not even sure if I believe in it, but it's not something I want to find out the hard way if it's real or not. :'D

Never mind that was not the video I meant to post. I'm sorry! 😕😕😕 It was produced by the William Fuld company until 1966 when it was purchased by Parker Brothers

arekathevampyre

@ABryonJ.maybe? no worries . 

everyone . It is cool to read about it's history and know more . But it will stay like that . DO NOT TRY . I see people selling it online and I was just shaking my head . 

According to wikipedia:

Following its commercial introduction by businessman Elijah Bond on July 1, 1890,[1] the Ouija board was regarded as a parlor game unrelated to the occult until American Spiritualist Pearl Curran popularized its use as a divining tool during World War I.[2] Spiritualists believed that the dead were able to contact the living and reportedly used a talking board very similar to a modern Ouija board at their camps in Ohio in 1886 to ostensibly enable faster communication with spirits.[3

It is proven it is your brain who do it. People who responded to it was blindfolded and the board was non-sensical.

Grumpy Alien

It's always been a game.

Diamond Ace of Hearts
3 hours ago, arekathevampyre said:

@ABryonJ.maybe? no worries . 

everyone . It is cool to read about it's history and know more . But it will stay like that . DO NOT TRY . I see people selling it online and I was just shaking my head . 

Hey all . 

I am sure most of you heard of the ouija board (and the horrors of it) . 

Read online that the ouija board was made to be a game when it was first invented (and marketed to be a family game) . 

How true is this ? 

Can anyone validate this ? 

PS : if you have any ouija board related horror stories , please post them over at the paranormal thread I created a few months back . Thanks !!

Are you... actually serious?

Of course it's a game. (Notice I don't say it was a game or was marketed as a game, it is a game.)

There is no occult power in a glass and a piece of cardboard. It was designed by people as something to do, denounced as evil by one of those weirdos who will denounce anything they don't understand and - humans being what they are - hysteria ensued. It's funny actually, the psychological phenomena of how the Ouija board works and how the panic about it caught on are a little similar.

It's the equivalent of those people who say that Harry Potter gives kids brain damage or video games make you a psychopathic killer or ... I don't know ... skittles make you gay. Except that the Ouija board one caught on in a bigger way.

To borrow from the modern popular idiom, it's fake news.

Scottthespy

The fun(damentaly terrifying) thing about paranormal stuff is, even when it IS completely fake from the start, such as the Ouija board, it can still have a tangible effect through the beliefs of the players. Even if no one is deliberately directing it to mess with others, people will subconsciously spell out answers they want to hear, or are convinced are true. And then paranoia links unrelated things to the game. What was that weird sound? The building settling...or DEMONS?! Why did that glass break? Did the cat knock it over and run, or was it A MESSAGE FROM BEYOND?! People psyche themselves out and turn random crap into signs from beyond. But even further...

Studies have been done on the power of the human brain. Placebo effect is one of the most well documented and easy to find information on...give some one fake medicine but tell them its real...often it works as if it was real, even on pretty serious illnesses that shouldn't just get better on their own. The reverse of this effect is hypochondria, where a person thinks they're sick so hard they actually develop symptoms...for the illness they don't have. In that general line of thinking, its not to hard to imagine that the human mind could be capable of effecting things other than its own body...and with more people subconsciously believing, you get more chances for the effect. Things moving, lights without sources, odd sounds...some things can be chalked up to hallucination or misremembering, others could be attributed to misdiagnosed natural phenomenon,  and still others could be this 'power of the mind' thing. 

Now, I'm actually a believer in ghosts...though not the vengeance driven demonic entities we see in horror movies. More often than not they're shadows, imprints left by violent electromagnetic action brought on by intense emotional states. Like how a place where a lot of bad things happened will often have a bad feeling that clings to it, even for people who don't know what happened there. But anything that crops up from using a board game that was invented by a couple of toy makers within the last century is going to be purely the fabrication of the players. Even still...depending on who you play with, that might be even worse. 

I experimented with it when I was psychotic and practicing satanism:P

It's your subconscious that moves it. Since I can somewhat "control". I was able to "break" the Ouija bored. I can confirm that there are no spirits or demons involved.

People who claim there are, are usually exaggerating and or having experianced sleep paralysis/hypnagogic hallucinations out of fear and anxiety of using it. 

If it didn't get me possessed when I was a psychotic broken mess, its not supernatural. Trust me, I tried VERY hard to experience bad things via demons etc.

Slightly off topic, so, please forgive me:

Our next door neighbor was incredibly superstitious, and easily scared.

She refused to have a Ouija in her house. Afraid of attracting ghosts.

She also thought a Howdy Doody doll

Spoiler

19517a_lg.jpeg

was possessed, and gave it to us.

One day, my mother decided to play a trick.

She knew when our neighbor was coming home, so,  mom went into her house, placed the doll at her dining table, holding the pointer on the Ouija board.

For added effect, she put a lit cigarette in the dolls mouth.

The screaming we heard when the neighbor got home was quite impressive.:lol::lol::lol:

arekathevampyre
6 minutes ago, Tja said:

Reveal hidden contents

19517a_lg.jpeg

She knew when our neighbor was coming home, so,  mom went into her house, placed the doll at her dining table, holding the pointer on the Ouija board.

The screaming we heard when the neighbor got home was quite impressive.:lol::lol::lol:

the doll looka kind of creepy though haha

3 hours ago, Tja said:

Reveal hidden contents

19517a_lg.jpeg

the doll looka kind of creepy though haha

Oh yes, Howdy Doody is a creepy doll. I really don't like ventriloquist dummies and he takes most of the cake (the other one is in an episode of Buffy). The Howdy Doody Show is a really creepy show too.

As for the Ouija board thing - it's supposed to be a game, but as Scottthespy says above, people are very good at scaring themselves silly.

Go ahead, an easy trick to do is to get a ring and put it on a piece of string and ask questions about things. Back and forth for yes, clockwise circle for male, counterclockwise for female, etc. No matter how steady you keep your hand, if you tell yourself the answer, that will be what the ring on the string will give you.

The Ouija board was meant to be a game.

The spirit board, I believe, predates the Ouija brand.

Now, the real question is do they have occult power?  If you believe they do.  If you think they will draw demons they will draw demons.  Whether these demons are actual creatures or simply figments of an overactive imagination, they'll certainly haunt you and the terror you feel will be real.  

Because of superstition and how even sometimes rational folks can fall victim to it, it's nothing I recommend people messing around with though.

More amusing is the variety of ways people enunciate ouija, about the only pronunciation you don't here is oui-ja 

Archived