The "Sex" 'urge': Fact or Fallacy?

vega57

5 minutes ago, Telecaster68 said:

Define 'define'.

See, I can play this game too.

To remove the fineness of something?

39 minutes ago, vega57 said:

Define "sex". 

That's a reasonable request. Sex means different things to different people.

3 minutes ago, asexjoe said:

Yet they still refuse to believe that there is an innate craving for any of these different things for anyone. What do they define sex to be? That way one could see what they don't believe it's possible to have an innate craving for.

Maybe that could shed some light on the matter.

Telecaster68

I think @vega57 could take some lessons from the master of making themselves look ridiculous with legalistic semantic hairsplitting:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSpqrv0-Vhq7-WILJMGEfZ

13 minutes ago, asexjoe said:

Exactly, Joe.  And if sex means different things to different people, could it also stand to reason that the "sex" "urge"  could also mean different things to different people?

1 minute ago, vega57 said:

Exactly, Joe.  And if sex means different things to different people, could it also stand to reason that the "sex" "urge"  could also mean different things to different people?

So, again, what makes you outright refuse to recognize the possibility of the mere existence of any of these urges for anyone?

5 minutes ago, Homer said:

Yet they still refuse to believe that there is an innate craving for any of these different things for anyone. What do they define sex to be? That way one could see what they don't believe it's possible to have an innate craving for.

Maybe that could shed some light on the matter.

Sex is ambiguous. The word "fucking" is not.

Take away the crushing cultural pressure to fuck, to like fucking, and to actively seek and attract partners to fuck, and there would be a lot less fucking going on and probably a lot more masturbation.

I don't know where you live, but nobody ever pressured me into fucking anyone or anything... or even wanting to do so in the first place.

3 minutes ago, vega57 said:

I could argue that certain urges or cravings are innate. I think Homer has a point though.

Telecaster68

Just looking back at the post @vega57 is refusing to reply to...

-----------

Elephants, bird, fish, seahorses and bees all pair up and have sex to reproduce. So do humans. The differences of exact mechanics aren't important.

To cut through the chaff, straw men and arguments from authority, your argument is this:

Humans have no innate urge to have sex. In this, they are unlike
all other sexually-reproducing species on earth (apart from
chimps, for some reason).

Saying human animals are just different kinds of animals when it comes to sex for some undefined reason simply isn't borne out by what we know about evolution, biology, and most people’s every day experience. Clearly that doesn't mean it’s wrong, just that it needs examining carefully to see if the argument holds up.

So, some questions:

• At what point in the evolution from previous species, did humans, en masse lose this innate urge?
  • What were the mechanisms involved?
  • Why did they lose it?
  • How did these humans hundreds of thousands of years ago with no sexual urges end up having sex anyway?
  • Why did the humans who’d lost that urge become more successful than the humans who didn't?

----------

... it occurs to me that one reason someone might not want to respond to it, is that they were aware the answers to those questions showed the ridiculousness of their position. Obviously that's not the case with @vega57  though so I wonder what on earth could it be?

We're going to end up at solipsism soon.

Think about it - I can't prove that other people exist. Maybe they're all projections of me, in which case it's impossible for me to have partnered sex - it's always just masturbation! Clearly, that means I must be asexual. :D

1 hour ago, Homer said:

I don't know where you live, but nobody ever pressured me into fucking anyone or anything... or even wanting to do so in the first place.

I live in California. It's everywhere.

J. van Deijck
2 hours ago, Homer said:

It's when people crave sex, duh

I knew it was something strange. :huh:

Just now, alpha decay said:

I knew it was something strange. :huh:

It's perhaps one of the key differences between organic creatures and machines.  :P

J. van Deijck
Just now, Snao Çoñé said:

It's perhaps one of the key differences between organic creatures and machines.  :P

they have different software? :D

Just now, alpha decay said:

they have different software? :D

Omg! :lol: 😂😂😂😂 i'm laughing so hard right now :P 

MY sex urge died decades ago..or probaly forgot to mention to my brain it exists!

J. van Deijck
27 minutes ago, Jayce said:

Omg! :lol: 😂😂😂😂 i'm laughing so hard right now :P 

MY sex urge died decades ago..or probaly forgot to mention to my brain it exists!

yay I made you laugh :D :3

but the question was serious.  s

do you think I have a fault in my code? something like syntax error? :huh:

2 minutes ago, alpha decay said:

do you think I have a fault in my code? something like syntax error? :huh:

I have many algorithms that function ineffectively or circuitously. I don't think differences in the sex urge is a fault in my code.

J. van Deijck
1 hour ago, BionicPi said:

I have many algorithms that function ineffectively or circuitously. I don't think differences in the sex urge is a fault in my code.

do you think we're missing something? :huh:

1 hour ago, alpha decay said:

do you think we're missing something? :huh:

I think maybe we didn't import a module/class, but everything seems to run, and we're passing the critical tests right?

J. van Deijck
5 minutes ago, BionicPi said:

I think maybe we didn't import a module/class, but everything seems to run, and we're passing the critical tests right?

yeah. we're functional it seems :P (does this include Turing test or so?)

1 minute ago, alpha decay said:

yeah. we're functional it seems :P (does this include Turing test or so?)

Honestly, I sometimes fail the Turing test so that's optional...

7 hours ago, alpha decay said:

something like syntax error? :huh:

Synf*cks error

*hides in shame*

On 8/12/2017 at 8:39 AM, Telecaster68 said:

To decide this process is the product of some kind of late 20th century brainwashing is staggeringly stupid. 

That's why no one argued that.

On 8/12/2017 at 9:50 AM, Telecaster68 said:

For millions of years, every species on earth apart from some single cells, has reproduced sexually. None of them except humans have any symbolic culture, so it's impossible that the drive or knowledge of how to reproduce sexually is passed on like this.

That's not the point. Many, many, many, species pass on information necessary for the continuation of a species through learning, humans are certainly not unique in that regard. Raptors that are not taught to hunt by their parents will die of starvation because hunting is not innate to them. Also, just because different animals behave similarly doesn't mean they do so for the same reasons. I think many sexual people would figure out sex without ever being exposed to it(although certainly not all sexual people would and asexuals would be extremely unlikely to) however, this is not a good argument. 

On 8/12/2017 at 10:22 AM, Snao Çoñé said:

Do you think human beings are not sexual unless taught to believe they are? Or do you think the details of how human beings have sex aren't innately known and thus people must experiment to learn what feels good?

I would say no to the first and yes to the second question.

On 8/12/2017 at 10:57 AM, BionicPi said:

Can I take an out and say some form of sexual pleasure, generally, partnered sex, maybe? This thread has about 5 commenters now, so I don't know how we're going to form a conclusion... I know that some people have said something along the lines of they need sex, but I don't know how they translate need to their feelings and how that compares to other people. I had mostly wanted to dispute the references to animal instinctual sexual activity, since I remember numerous things, both in and out of school, on the more instinctual nature of animals and the more learned nature of humans. 

Yeah, most of what I've read indicates that people discover sexual pleasure on their own, but I have less to support either unlearned or learned copulation.

Humans often make errors when trying to find things that make themselves uniquely human which are later corrected by studying animal behavior. 

On 8/12/2017 at 11:11 AM, Telecaster68 said:

it is for all other mammals, so why not us?

How do you know it's innate for all other mammals? Even if it's innate for you it doesn't mean it is for all other mammals. 

On 8/13/2017 at 4:17 PM, Telecaster68 said:

Everyone on this thread who actually has a libido has more knowledge than you on this. It's no more out of control than hunger for food, but it is that strong, and that instinctive.

Vega has said she has masturbated since age 10 so I'm not sure why you're counting that as not having a libido. My libido is in no way comparable to hunger. If I don't feed myself I feel exhausted and I can't think correctly, if I don't masturbate, I'm momentarily distracted, not really comparable at all. That doesn't mean I don't have a libido. 

J. van Deijck
3 hours ago, Homer said:

Synf*cks error

*hides in shame*

:lol: my life is complete now.

Archived