Usage Of Trigger Warnings (Poll)

Just Me!

To what extent are trigger warnings used?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. If a thread/spoiler states only [TW], with no specification, will you read it?

• Yes
    • No
    • It depends
  2. 2. If a thread/spoiler states only [TMI], will you read it?

• Yes
    • No
    • It depends
  3. 3. Do you have a 'trigger' which you cannot bear to read about?

• Yes (sexual content)
    • Yes (non-sexual content)
    • Not specifically
    • No
  4. 4. Have you ever placed a trigger warning on content?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

Guest Invisible Pumpkin

I could read the content no matter the tag, if I could be interested in learning more about the topic or if I'm familiar with the person that's posting it.

I have used warnings in the tittles myself, most because I don't know what can offend other person around, not because the content is triggering for me. 

AVEN #1 fan

I usually use it (lol) when I'm talking about problematic stuff and I try being specific about it, but it's kinda hard to avoid TWs. .. subjects that doesn't rly impact neurotypical people are unsuspected that they can and do trigger people. Even small things, sometimes I put TW for language, other times for smoking or body problems or sex, other times I find it unnecessary especially if the title is obvious like if I wrote a title like this "we must talk about alcohol and teens " or "how bad poc women have it" or "how I struggle with my incurable illness " , off course people who are triggered by these subjects won't read the thread. ... but then, I wonder, there's rly sensitive people out there.... what if just reading the title already triggered them? Oh gosh... that's unavoidable sadly.

ItWasNiceKnowingYou

My curiousity doesn't care about TW or TMI warnings that much.... I usually end up reading whatever it is if i feel like it.

I usually try to put TW on any sensitive content i post 

I'm alright with reading them, but I think it's useful to announce what the subject is, rather than just saying there's something TMI/triggering. 

Otherwise, it seems like putting a label saying "allergy warning" on food, but not actually saying what potentially dangerous ingredients it contains. 

People could enjoy talking about some "TMI" topics, but hate others. By saying what's TMI/triggering about the topic, they know what they can read and what to avoid. 

swirl_of_blue

I'm not squeamish with TWs. I even seek out and read stuff that I know might trigger me, in an effort to desensitize myself and make myself stronger. I try to use trigger and TMI warnings out of courtesy for other people, but find it hard to know when that invisible line is crossed. Some people are so sensitive, that I feel all that I write should be at least under a spoiler tag.

Lonemathsytoothbrushthief

I mean personally I'd be triggered by sexual stuff and if I was in a bad frame of mind suicide/self harm wouldn't be a good idea either. And the TW would definitely be beneficial, because exactly the point is that otherwise I will just read through stuff even after realising it's triggering me, and it's not desensitising or whatever because it's down to that whole not needing sex either thing: I'm not going to desensitise myself in an unhealthy manner for the mere possibility that I might want sex in the future. There are too many  reasons for me not to want it. I'm ace, sex averse, mentally have always been in sort of not-quite-alright shape despite not really having anything to the extent that I want a diagnosis(except aspergers/ASD, because that helps me explain everything, and anxiety), and physically dysphoric about the parts it involves, so there is basically no point in me desensitising myself to sexual content.

Here's the thing. This is how I feel with what I would consider very mild triggers. When I was really having trouble with thoughts, it was a brief moment in my life and I've done pretty well in eliminating that feeling altogether, and my dysphoria still seems pretty mild compared to pretty much everyone else imo. But I'd still have a much more negative experience without the TW in some cases, so I appreciate them. I also think many people who mean well also need to learn how to use TWs, because to be frank I see people put in TWs for a topic, which is then only mentioned with the same word once in the writing. A TW is not necessary if your warning already contains all of the words you're warning people about. I'm not a psychologist or anything but I just think situations like that are going to be used as excuses by other people to not put warnings in where they're actually warranted.

Yes, yes, no, no.

I don't use them.  Pretty much any given subject or situation can be potentially "triggering" to someone out there.  You will unavoidably run into "triggering" things in life and it will usually not be kind enough to give you warnings in advance.  The nice thing with the internet is if you have a problem with what you're reading/seeing, the Back button is right over there somewhere ^^^

One of my biggest pet peeves in an open conversation (that is, multiple people are or are potentially involved) are people who expect the subject should cater to them.  In a 1-on-1 situation, yeah, persisting in broaching an uncomfortable subject for the other person is generally a dick move to only be used when a circumstance really warrants it.  In a group situation, or open forum like this one though?  Nope.  Majority rules, and if the majority wants to discuss a potentially sensitive subject, it's up to the sensitive people to go elsewhere, not up to the majority to tread upon eggshells trying to cater to them.

I use them when discussing certain sensitive topics in detail. But, I read spoilers/TMI/TW stuff. I don't have a particular trigger, though I dislike incest talk for personal reasons. 

1. Yes(honestly I've seen worse than anything that is allowed on this site lol).

2. Yes

3. No

4. I think I might have done it once or twice.

Trigger warnings are so overused online today that I find it's hard to take them seriously as indicative of anything, since they often seem to be placed in front of material that's just politically incorrect or that discusses political opinions with which the author happens to disagree. I'm also wondering about the effect on the democratic process for a society where individuals demand the right to be able to tune out anything that might be upsetting to hear about.

1. If a thread/spoiler states only [TW], with no specification, will you read it?
Sure, if the thread interests me and I have some time on my hand.

2. If a thread/spoiler states only [TMI], will you read it?
In case it is interesting enough for me to care.

3. Do you have a 'trigger' which you cannot bear to read about?
No. I can bear to read about opposing opinions, reality and different aspects of different people’s lives just fine. No “trigger warnings” or “safe spaces” needed! 

4. Have you ever placed a trigger warning on content?
No and I won’t. This whole "trigger warning" thing is completely ridiculous from my point of view.  

J. van Deijck

1. If a thread/spoiler states only [TW], with no specification, will you read it?

if the thread as a whole is something that interests me, then yes. it's not easy to actually trigger me, unless I'm feeling really bad.

2. If a thread/spoiler states only [TMI], will you read it?

rarely. the reason is that I'm not really interested in having such information about people, but in general, it also depends on the thread's context.

3. Do you have a 'trigger' which you cannot bear to read about?

not really 'cannot bear', but I rather avoid threads where people talk about sex and masturbation because I really feel better not knowing such details about others.

4. Have you ever placed a trigger warning on content?

yes, only because I'm aware some people can handle less than others.

side note: sometimes when there's a spoilered part marked as tmi or tw, I click on it simply out of curiosity.

Félinferno

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Yeah, medical-related topics, due to being a severe Hypochondriac and having anxiety. I'm pretty much fine with everything else though.

4. No. I don't really do the whole 'Trigger Warning' thing.

• 2 weeks later...

1. Y

2. Y

3. Yep, a certain animal 'triggers' panic attacks for me. Totally an overused and destroyed term though, I feel horrible using it now. I only use the word when I'm talking about oscilloscopes now. : P

I tend to use TW for rape or suicide, but thats about it. I don't talk about TMI stuff in general. 

The only real triggering things for me are insults, but those are banned off of AVEN...at least the direct ones. Some people are pretty intolerant of different opinions.

Sometimes I'm bothered by things that remind me of my past, but I'm strong enough to discuss things without issue or mental strain.

WinterWanderer

I'm not personally triggered by things I read. But I appreciate it when people provide TW's for posts that discuss abuse, violence, or sexual content in great detail. 

I think that sometimes people go overboard with what they consider to be "triggers"... but regardless, if someone tells me that they are triggered by something, I will respect their wishes and not mention that subject. 

The only things that trigger me are images of spiders. They send me into panic attacks. (Caused by a mixture of traumatic experiences and natural distrust of them.) Unfortunately, no one gives out TW's for those haha

I'm not triggered by anything, and read these threads. 

If I'm making a  thread with potentially triggering content I'll put an appropriate alert in the title, likewise if I'm making a midthread post (usually risqué  innuendo) I'll spoiler it with a note as to what is in the spoiler 

• 1 year later...

@Just Me, Myself and...Zie?

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to re-start new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived