Does anyone have a "Ace Anthem"?

Beaver Boy

3 hours ago, fuzzipueo said:

I think it might be because the Spade looks, vaguely, like an arrow tip?

Ace-Spades.jpg?fit=200,250

Could be.  It is also sorta an inverted black heart too.

paperbackreader
On 11/13/2017 at 3:42 AM, tunasupreme said:

Came on here to post this song - yay - someone else has done it!

@Paperbackreader-  Another Neil Hannon fan!  Virtual high five to you.

On 06/08/2017 at 6:33 PM, Beaver Boy said:

I know, rite? And that reminded me of the time I finally realized Mambo No 5 was a sexual song. All along, I could listen to it and just imagine clowns doing clown things in a circus.

But that is off topic. I was looking for ace anthems, not the opposite.

Every time I listen to the opening lyrics of "Mambo No 5" I immediately hear "1, 2, 3, 4, 5 - once I caught a fish alive!"

...and now I've said that, I bet many of you can't shake the ear-worm now neither!

When I tried to think of one, what first came to my mind was "Independent Women" by Destiny's Child, for some reason :P Not sure the lyrics bear that interpretation out though... A better option might be "Survivor", by the same group - the whole idea of the lyrics is "I'm better & stronger without you", whoever that 'you' is, and it's life-affirming and quite anthemic, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ctm_kVwGQ4Y

And how about Green Day's "Basket Case" - I like the song, but always wondered at the part with'"I went to a shrink, to analyze my dreams, she says it's lack of sex that's bringing me down"... Yeah, because that's the nr 1 reason that's bringing everyone down :P 

On 11/14/2017 at 11:28 AM, fuzzipueo said:

I think it might be because the Spade looks, vaguely, like an arrow tip?

Ace-Spades.jpg?fit=200,250

Just had to.

• 4 weeks later...

I know of a number of songs written by asexual-spectrum artists about their asexuality. 

I wrote a song called F*** Animals after I saw a post online by someone who was feeling a lot of fear and guilt over not being able to perform sexually and not wanting it when their partner did and then thinking there was something wrong with them. And then I saw the comments.

I wouldn't call my song an anthem, but I do think it's an important aspect about the asexual experience that I wanted to express. 

For Me by Dearlie is probably one of the most well-known songs about asexuality. I remember sharing this on AVEN about three years ago when it still had about 300 views or so and now it almost has 30,000. It focuses on the emotions and the universality of the asexual experience while never mentioning anything about asexuality or sexual attraction. 

Asexy (Proud to be Me) by Queer Sounds was an asexual anthem I helped to write with Masque, who is the other part of QS. We made a lot of references to asexuality and celibacy, but ultimately it's a celebration of the asexual community and the fact that we've all come to accept and love ourselves. We later made a music video for this song on AAW that same year.

As @LettACE mentioned, A-Okay by Adam Winney is an ace/aro anthem. It's a more direct and light-hearted song about asexuality that makes specific mentions as to what it is and what it isn't. But at its core, it's another anthem about finding acceptance in who one is.

Asexuality and D&D by Skull Puppies is another song about asexuality that a lot of people don't know about. I think the singer identified as demisexual at the time (though I don't know for certain) and the song seems to be about their own experiences. 

nothinbuttrouble
On 11/9/2017 at 8:58 PM, Miss Anne Thrope said:

The song "No Sex, No Laid" by YouTube musician Hot Dad is very much an asexual anthem. (But be warned: it uses a lot of graphic language).

https://youtu.be/QlDnQHI0c-4

fucking love this one

WaywardDaughter

I'm aroace so that reflects in my songs

Hello - Martin Solveig 

I feel like dancin' - All Time Low

Pretend Love - The Avett Brothers

I don't wanna be in love - Good Charlotte

This Is Me - The Greatest Showman

Miracle Drug - U2

Anyone but me - Danny Worsnop 

Love Love Love - Of Monsters and Men

Sorry - Halsey 

For Me - Dearlie 

Hope you like some! 

Janus the Fox

Pretty much any 1950s to 1990's romance song of most of any romantic themed subtopic.

Avril Lavigne - Don't Tell Me

"Did you think that I was gonna give it up to you?"

"Don't think that your charm and the fact that your arm is now around my neck will get you in my pants."

"Get out of my head, get off of my bed! Yeah, that's what I said!"

"This guilt trip that you put me on won't mess me up. I've done no wrong."

Lotta_Biscotti
On 11/9/2017 at 2:50 PM, InquisitivePhilosopher said:

For me, what I like about The Beatles' I'm Happy Just To Dance With You, is that it tries to show that asexual or non-romantic people still have affectionate feelings for other people, just that they show it in a different way (i.e., that just because they might not be interested or feel comfortable with certain romantic gestures or sex, that that doesn't mean they're cold, emotionless, cruel people who enjoy teasing or withholding affection for others.)

The lyrics are from the point of view of an asexual or non-romantic person, rather than a sexual person complaining about an asexual partner.

From https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/beatles/imhappyjusttodancewithyou.html

This one's my ace song, too! Always been fond of it. :cake:

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/9/2017 at 2:15 PM, chandrakirti said:

OOH! Sounds like an anthem, but the doo wop could be better standard. Maybe needs a remake/cover version?

On 11/9/2017 at 8:42 PM, daveb said:

The trouble with that is it's not "for asexuals" - it sounds more like a sexual person complaining about an asexual person. :(

I do like the Beatles song that @InquisitivePhilosopher posted and Simon and Garfunkle song that @Tintinfan's friends like. :) 

Maybe someone should do a response-remake. Like, the asexual woman he's hitting on being like, 'of course your lines are ineffectual, what part of I'm asexual don't you understand?' but to dubstep or modern acapella or something.

Actually, if anyone with a musical background is interested in doing that, I'd be up to collab XD I can write the lyrics

Otherwise, yeah, Wake Me Up is an apt choice now that you mention it.

"How soon is now?" By the Smiths. There lead man is most likely ace (he would never say it like that because he rejects the use of labels), I believe this song is about his feelings of trying to find intimacy in the 80's, well before DJ and AVEN. 

On 11/13/2017 at 9:57 AM, Florenna said:

Why not? ;)

I like the song, but what's asexual in it...?  Don't think Lemmy was much into asexuality, quite the contrary ;) 

RIP Lemmy and Eddie Clark.

Never noticed  this thread before posting this:

6 hours ago, Dawg4280 said:

"How soon is now?" By the Smiths. There lead man is most likely ace (he would never say it like that because he rejects the use of labels), I believe this song is about his feelings of trying to find intimacy in the 80's, well before DJ and AVEN. 

I've never really listened to the lyrics. I can't get past the guitar! LOL

• 1 year later...

What’s Love Got To Do With It by Tina Turner is a great song that can be applied to asexuals. With lyrics like “Who needs a heart when a heart can be broken”, it provides the right amount of sass and makes a point. Also, it’s 80s and rock in roll.

Pumpkins_and_penguins

Waving through a window from Dear Evan Hansen.

It's about someone with anxiety but it captures how I feel when conversation turns to sex and romance

robnrdbrd

What about Krusty the Clown's suggested changes to the Red Hot Chili Peppers' song?  ;)

Well, okay, but here where it says, "What I got you gotta get and put it in ya," how about just, "What I'd like is I'd like to hug and kiss ya."?

katinthehat

Take the meaning of the song literally, and BAM! My ace anthem. I'm also using this as my theme song for when I put in my two weeks from my current job. 🤣

chairdesklamp
On 11/15/2017 at 3:53 AM, Glyn said:

Every time I listen to the opening lyrics of "Mambo No 5" I immediately hear "1, 2, 3, 4, 5 - once I caught a fish alive!"

...and now I've said that, I bet many of you can't shake the ear-worm now neither!

I misheard Billy Idol's "Flesh for Fantasy" as "Fish for Fantasy." My granpa fed us fishing when I was a kid and I love fish.

I also misheard the living daylights outta Prince and Sheila E's "Erotic City"

"If we cannot make-believe maybe we can make some time

Baby, you and me,

Rotten City, come alive"

Which, well, after Koube I lived in NYC, this being before it gentrified in the 90s (what made me have to leave), so, yeah. 

As for the topic at hand, Hall and Oates themselves say "Kiss on My List" is supposed to be "an anti-love song. 'Your kiss is nice, but it's not my top priority'" My guess is the key is the part where he says people ask him what makes him happy, and he lies and says her kiss is on the list. I dunno. There are lyrics in the description, so see for yourselves.

Don't know if this is necessarily an ace anthem but this song made a lot of sense to me long before I'd even heard the term asexual (which is only fairly recently!)

Please note it's a lot more upbeat than it's title suggests!

Lyrics for those that would like them:

Spoiler

I had a plan at 10 years old
To try my best do as I'm told
But that don't catch the pretty peoples' eye
I didn't have the coolest hair
The newest clothes or the richest parents
So I sat alone as the pretty girls walked by
I tried my best at making jokes
Only to trip over my words and choke
So I ran back home and stayed inside my room
I swore I'd never go back alive
Shallow talk breeds shallow minds
But that was just a jealous boy's excuse

'Cause everybody's dancing and I don't feel the same
This room is full of people who barely know my name
And I don't feel like dancing on my own again
Another year without a friend
Another year when I just close my eyes and dance inside my head

With age comes insecurity
Embarrassment and tragedy,
Increasing fear of growing old lonely.
I said I'd put on my dancing shoes
But I've got two left feet and no good moves
And the pretty girls found cooler kids than me.
So I sat and waited patiently until the day I'd finally be asked,
But it never came, no, it never came!

And I found it hard to take some time out of the days that I spent wishing I could be
Anyone but me

Another year when I just close my eyes and dance inside my (head)

• 4 weeks later...
Strange_Charms

Oh dang, I have a lot actually. The only thing is some are aroace and others are just 'plain' ace anthems. I guess I'll separate them that way...

Aroace:

• Never Been in Love- Will Jay
  • Crush Culture- Conan Gray
  • im so tired... - Lauv & Troye Sivan
  • Oh No! - Marina & the Diamonds

Ace:

• A Friend Like You- Andy Grammar
  • Ur Cool- SAARA
  • I Feel Like Dancin' - All Time Low
  • When the Sun Found the Moon- P!ATD

Archived