Does anyone have a "Ace Anthem"?

Beaver Boy

Do any of you have any songs that mean something really ace to you? Bonus points if you can find ace 80s music.

When I was coming to the realization that I was ace, I kept on playing this song over and over because I now view it as kind of a metaphor for the discovery of my aceness. This is my personal experience and I realize the ace spectrum is very diverse so maybe you'll feel different.

Peace of Mind, by Boston

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-epOG6aSk

Super chill, calming, reassuring intro...

Now if your feeling kind of low 'bout the dues you've been payin'

Future's comin' much too slow

• Getting the idea of sex, but not really wanting it and thinking I'm just developing a little too slow

And you wanna run but somehow you just keep on stayin'

Can't decide on which way to gooooo... YA YA YA

• Thinking I might be some sort of GSM, but knowing I'm only romantically attracted to the opposite gender (back then I conflated sexual attraction with romantic attraction) and thinking I must be straight since I'm not attracted to guys, except as friends.
  • In other words, I want to run from being straight, but somehow I just keep on staying since I can't decide on what I am since I know I'm not gay, pan, or bi

I understand about indecision, but I don't care if I get behind

people livin' in competition

All I want is to have my peace of miiiiiiiiiiind...

• even though everyone else my age is starting to have sex and bragging about it as though it is a competition, I really don't care. All I want is to understand myself.

Now you're climbin' to the top of the company ladder

Hope it doesn't take too looooong

And you'll see a there'll come a day when it won't matter

Come a day when you'll be gooooooone

• Wondering what the big deal is about sex. I'm sex positive, and not sex repulsed but sometimes I think people are just faking they view sex as the best thing ever. I just hope they aren't fooling themselves...

...skip some repeated lyrics and lyrics I don't find ace...

Now everybody's got advice they just keep on givin'

Doesn't mean too much to meeee

• I've been fortunate enough to be spared this, but I can imagine how aces feel when they are always given advice such as "you just need to find the right person", or "you're too young to know".

Lots of people like to make believe they're livin'

Can't decide on who they should beeeeeee...

• Again, it seems like people might be faking sexual attraction (though I'll take their word for it that sexual attraction exists)
  • I think of the aces who couldn't decide if they were gay, straight, pan, or bi and just never considered the possibility of asexuality since there isn't much ace visibility

...skip some repeated lyrics...

Take a look ahead

Take a look ahead

Look aheaaaaaaaaaaad!

• Taking a look ahead at the future. While I know there will be challenges, I'm really excited to now view the world through the eyes of an ace (still feeling it - I realized I was ace under nine days ago)

Epic guitar solo ensues as my heart ascends into pure aceness... :cake::D:cake:

I always associate Haddaway's "What Is Love?" with AVEN and asexuals.  This is because whenever I used to go into the chatroom, everytime someone mentioned "What is love?" there'd ALWAYS be everyone coming back with "Oh baby, don't hurt me, don't hurt me no more!"

I've also noticed quite a lot of Queen puns, although I MAY have some.. erm.... influence with that.... :P:P

1 hour ago, Jade Cross said:

Dont think "Fat Bottomed Girls" will make a very good ace anthen XD

I know, rite? And that reminded me of the time I finally realized Mambo No 5 was a sexual song. All along, I could listen to it and just imagine clowns doing clown things in a circus.

But that is off topic. I was looking for ace anthems, not the opposite.

• 3 months later...

This one right here!:

https://nextstepcake.wordpress.com/2017/07/18/asexual-the-echoes-c-1985-lyrics-transcript/

Asexual is the title, and it was written in 1985. Unfortunately, it sounds like 60s doo-wop (not bad music, but not my favorite like "80s-sounding" music)

Interesting interpretation of that song, OP! I think that fits quite well. Also, Wake Me Up by Avicci seems super relevant, now that I'm actually reading the lyrics. As for me, there's the obvious Me, Myself, and I by G-Eazy as one of my ace anthems when I'm feeling particularly overwhelmed by heteronormativity!

But the song that's gotten me through it all is Fuck This Place by Frightened Rabbit. (P.S.: If you haven't heard Frightened Rabbit, I recommend them wholeheartedly. Incredible band.) The first verse goes like this:

An itch, my eye
Twitch like a memory
Forgotten bars
One of those cities
One of those nights
Everyone's darling
Everyone's sweetheart
Just this drink to hold my hand
One glass of anything
Anything cheap
And I'm here just because
Everyone else has come just to be seen

Oh, I don't know these buildings
I think I'm lost

It reminds me of all those times I spent at bars or clubs or other places trying to find someone I liked, someone I could be with (romantically or sexually). I couldn't figure out why everyone else seemed to be having a much better time than I, and I couldn't convince myself it wasn't for me until I realized that I'm not broken, I'm just aroace. It was a big relief, and having this song to put my feelings to a tune helped a lot. It's a really beautiful melody, if you haven't heard it.

Link to song in spoiler:

Spoiler

Guest Jetsun Milarepa
4 hours ago, Beaver Boy said:

This one right here!:

https://nextstepcake.wordpress.com/2017/07/18/asexual-the-echoes-c-1985-lyrics-transcript/

Asexual is the title, and it was written in 1985. Unfortunately, it sounds like 60s doo-wop (not bad music, but not my favorite like "80s-sounding" music)

OOH! Sounds like an anthem, but the doo wop could be better standard. Maybe needs a remake/cover version?

That "Asexual" song by The Echoes sounded interesting. I'm not sure how I feel about it; to me, the lyrics and whole song really just started to sound like it was all about, and only about, the sexual guy's feelings and his complaint about his asexual girlfriend not being as kind or as affectionate as he is, not showing asexuals in a positive light (i.e., as though sexual people are the ones being treated unfairly and emotionally hurt by asexual people.)

For me, what I like about The Beatles' I'm Happy Just To Dance With You, is that it tries to show that asexual or non-romantic people still have affectionate feelings for other people, just that they show it in a different way (i.e., that just because they might not be interested or feel comfortable with certain romantic gestures or sex, that that doesn't mean they're cold, emotionless, cruel people who enjoy teasing or withholding affection for others.)

The lyrics are from the point of view of an asexual or non-romantic person, rather than a sexual person complaining about an asexual partner.

From https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/beatles/imhappyjusttodancewithyou.html

"I'm Happy Just To Dance With You"

Before this dance is through
I think I'll love you too
I'm so happy when you dance with me

I don't want to kiss or hold your hand
If it's funny try and understand
There is really nothing else I'd rather do
Cos I'm happy just to dance with you

I don't need to hug or hold you tight
I just want to dance with you all night
In this world there's nothing I would rather do

Just to dance with you
It's everything I need

If somebody tries to take my place
Let's pretend we just can't see his face

Just to dance with you
It's everything I need

If somebody tries to take my place
Let's pretend we just can't see his face
I've discovered I'm in love with you

My personal one

But my friends go for: 

I don't personally like it for this use but some others might

We don't have to take our clothes off by Jermaine Stewart :lol:

(As a bonus it is very 80s ;) )

10 hours ago, Beaver Boy said:

This one right here!:

The trouble with that is it's not "for asexuals" - it sounds more like a sexual person complaining about an asexual person. :(

I do like the Beatles song that @InquisitivePhilosopher posted and Simon and Garfunkle song that @Tintinfan's friends like. :) 

"Air Catcher" by Twenty One Pilots.  It speaks to me as a heteroromantic, torn between people's expectations, being true to yourself, and having feelings for someone who doesn't understand.  Sad song, but true to life.

Spoiler

Another good one is (the well-known) "Love Song" by Sara Bareilles.

22 hours ago, Miss Anne Thrope said:

The song "No Sex, No Laid" by YouTube musician Hot Dad is very much an asexual anthem. (But be warned: it uses a lot of graphic language).

https://youtu.be/QlDnQHI0c-4

That video has the best comment: "some people save their virgnities for marriage, but I'm saving my virginity for death" by user no name

RoseGoesToYale

Not the whole song, but I think the chorus of Hall and Oates "I Can't Go for That" applies.

I 'll do anything
That you want me to do
Yeah, I'll do almost anything
That you want me too, ooh
Yeah

But I can't go for that, nooo
(No)
No can do

I can't go for that, nooo
(No)
No can do
I can't go for that, nooo
(No)
No can do
I can't go for that
Can't go for that
Can't go for that
Can't go for that

On 11/9/2017 at 2:40 PM, Tintinfan said:

My personal one

Yes, this one fits very well. I fell in love with the song when it came out. Wow - 1983 - I was 13 or 14 years old! :lol:

The song "Smash" by The Offspring - it's about non-conformism, and always been important to me, personally

That, or perhaps the song at the end of Portal

"But there's no sense crying over every mistake

You just keeping on trying 'til you run out of cake

And the science gets done and you make a neat gun

For the people who are still alive"

The Ace of Spades by Motorhead

On 8/6/2017 at 9:32 PM, Jade Cross said:

Just as long as its not "Let it go"

Why not? ;)

39 minutes ago, Beaver Boy said:

The Ace of Spades by Motorhead

I like the song, but what's asexual in it...?  Don't think Lemmy was much into asexuality, quite the contrary ;) 

8 minutes ago, Florenna said:

I like the song, but what's asexual in it...?  Don't think Lemmy was much into asexuality, quite the contrary ;) 

Ace of Spades is the term for aromantic asexual. I'm not sure why, but it is.

8 minutes ago, Beaver Boy said:

Don't know how it's possible, but that's the first I hear of it :o And I'm not even a newbie here... But thanks for explanation! 

(Now I realize I somehow even missed the very obvious "ace" in the song name :redface:, I guess because it's not used at all in the sense it is here... Oh well.)

I wish I could also post an Ace anthem but can't think of any, will get back to this if and when I do...

I suppose my Ace Anthem would be A-Okay by Adam Winney. It's one of the first songs that i head about being ace, and it helped me with coming to accept it. I will listen to it, if i feel i dont belong somewhere, or if i just feel super proud of being ace that day

On 11/13/2017 at 10:06 AM, Beaver Boy said:

Ace of Spades came around because Ace is a shortening of Asexual (originally it was ase, but, when you say it aloud, it sounds like ace, so, it just morphed to ace).

Since Ace has the card connection, people started assigning romantic orientation based on the suit (Ace of hearts for a romantic asexual, ace of spades for aromantic, ace of diamonds for lithromantic (I think), and I can't remember ace of clubs off the top of my head at the moment.

I have also seen people use ace in the fighter pilot connotation as well, with the number of people they have 'shot down' being the number of people they have had to reject.

1 hour ago, Zash said:

Since Ace has the card connection, people started assigning romantic orientation based on the suit (Ace of hearts for a romantic asexual, ace of spades for aromantic, ace of diamonds for lithromantic (I think), and I can't remember ace of clubs off the top of my head at the moment.

Ace of clubs is for grayromantic or graysexual, I believe

On 11/13/2017 at 8:06 AM, Beaver Boy said:

I think it might be because the Spade looks, vaguely, like an arrow tip?

Ace-Spades.jpg?fit=200,250

Archived