UK National LGBT survey

zoeearth

• 2 weeks later...

This is the UK government's LGBT survey. Even if probably nobody on here is directly involved with it, this falls under our rules for researchers, so we had a discussion about it. Sorry for the delay with that.

Anybody who lives in the UK and is minimum 16 years old can take part in this survey.

This survey has been approved for advertising on AVEN.

timewarp

Project Team

Now for my personal opinion, strictly as a member. I've done this survey and was extremely unhappy about it. I feel the UK government is massively ignoring our existence as asexuals. Luckily on the last page there is a free-text field with up to 500 words. I used it for complaining about that and I would encourage everybody to do the same. Let them know that we exist and that we have our own specific issues that are worth addressing. I think in a way it's at least an opportunity.

Elftober Country

Just completed the survey, it made me feel even more depressed about my current circumstances :( 

I filled this in some time ago and also noted in the free text field that even though I'm in a same sex relationship, the survey gave me almost no space to talk about my experiences as an asexual person. It was hard to answer the questions while trying to keep the distinction between being out as asexual vs being publicly perceived as a lesbian.

I tried to make it clear that even though I'm mostly open about my girlfriend publicly I've almost never felt the same amount of security to be open about my asexual identity. Hopefully they'll address this.... 

cavalier080854

Even before reading the comments here, I had already answered the survey and registered my complaints about it being sexual orientated. As well as being unhelpful for Aces, with a few facts thrown in. I did not like the victimhood framework being pushed (though I do not deny that it does exist).

The LGBT community petitioned the UK census for orientation being in the 2021 census. From the opening AVEN page earlier, it seemed that the LGBT ignored us in this effort. Because an open letter was sent by academics to get Asexuality included. wtf If this is so, then why are the LGBT ignoring us, where were we in the proposal negotiations, why were we left out? We are even in the new acronym LGBTQIAA+ so this should never have happened.

I wonder if the LGBTY and the straight communities care or even know we exist, LGBT should know better. AVEN should give the UK  LGBT activists and the UK survey a good kick up the backside. This very frustrating.

NOT HAPPY

44 minutes ago, cavalier080854 said:

Even before reading the comments here, I had already answered the survey and registered my complaints about it being sexual orientated. As well as being unhelpful for Aces, with a few facts thrown in. I did not like the victimhood framework being pushed (though I do not deny that it does exist).

The LGBT community petitioned the UK census for orientation being in the 2021 census. From the opening AVEN page earlier, it seemed that the LGBT ignored us in this effort. Because an open letter was sent by academics to get Asexuality included. wtf If this is so, then why are the LGBT ignoring us, where were we in the proposal negotiations, why were we left out? We are even in the new acronym LGBTQIAA+ so this should never have happened.

I wonder if the LGBTY and the straight communities care or even know we exist, LGBT should know better. AVEN should give the UK  LGBT activists and the UK survey a good kick up the backside. This very frustrating.

NOT HAPPY

@michaeld was invited to the consultations for the 2021 census. Several of us did quite a bit of preparation work for that and also the open letter from researchers was part of that. It seems that all that has come out of it is that - if the sexual orientation question does get included in the 2021 census - it will have a fill-in "other" option rather than the "other" option without any possibility to comment any further. Given the current state of the matter we might have to count that as a success. I just wonder what help the fill-in option will be for asexuals who don't know about asexuality (I was one of those until two or so years ago).

cavalier080854
4 minutes ago, timewarp said:

@michaeld was invited to the consultations for the 2021 census. Several of us did quite a bit of preparation work for that and also the open letter from researchers was part of that. It seems that all that has come out of it is that - if the sexual orientation question does get included in the 2021 census - it will have a fill-in "other" option rather than the "other" option without any possibility to comment any further. Given the current state of the matter we might have to count that as a success. I just wonder what help the fill-in option will be for asexuals who don't know about asexuality (I was one of those until two or so years ago).

Thank you for the extra info about my reference to the open letter which was based on pure conjecture, not fact.

Sigh, It seems everyone gets maximum attention and coverage except Asexuality. We were mentioned in the dictionaries from 1830 which I looked up in the British Library in 1971, a long time before the latest infinite number of genders, who receive a lot of, sometimes negative press, but press nevertheless. I feel we are destined to be ignored to the end of time because the remaining 99% are so loud. :( 

I filled this out weeks ago but it needs some signal boosting round here.  The more aces that fill it in the better!  

On 8/20/2017 at 11:13 AM, timewarp said:

Now for my personal opinion, strictly as a member. I've done this survey and was extremely unhappy about it. I feel the UK government is massively ignoring our existence as asexuals. Luckily on the last page there is a free-text field with up to 500 words. I used it for complaining about that and I would encourage everybody to do the same. Let them know that we exist and that we have our own specific issues that are worth addressing. I think in a way it's at least an opportunity.

I felt the same, and I wrote them a mini essay too. ;)  I just hope that enough asexuals respond that they don't ignore our input as a handful of weirdos... 

• 1 month later...

Archived