Asexuality making you more open to attraction to other genders?

LookingGlassAlice

LookingGlassAlice

I wasn't sure how to word the topic title so I hope it doesn't sound too weird. Basically I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

i used to basically just assume I was straight, because I wasn't attracted to females (I thought). I read about asexuality in the past but I didn't really think it applied to me at the time, I don't remember why. Then the last few years I read up on it again and finally figured out I'm (probably?) asexual. However lately I've thought about it and as far as romantic orientation, I feel like I don't really care much what gender people are. I guess I started to realize once you take sex out of the equation it seemed less important? I'm not sure exactly. I've only dated guys so I don't know for sure. I'm not interested in sex with any gender people but I definitely find all different types of people aesthetically attractive, and I think I could be romantically attracted to any gender?  I'm not sure if I'm explaining this well. Basically realizing I'm asexual made me realize I might be bi or pan I guess?

The_Reluctant_Dragon

Even though I'm aro ace,  when I think of myself in a queer platonic relationship, I'm pretty open to whoever. When I thought of myself in that situation, I always wanted to like hug and maybe even kiss the person I'm with and be very close with them. And, I always thought I would only want to kiss and hug a girl and not a boy and never anyone else. Now, I don't give a crap. Girl, boy, or anyone else. As long as we have a bond.

ace.of.hearts13

This actually is exactly what happened to me:) 

That's what happens for some asexual people, but there are also quite a few people who identify as hetero- or homo- romantic, and therefore are still not attracted to all genders.  I can't say I understand it from personal experience, since all my attraction flows either to no one (sexual attraction, romantic attraction) or to people of all genders (aesthetic attraction, platonic attraction), but attraction is weird.  Just because someone isn't interested in sex doesn't mean that they can feel other types of attraction to everyone :) 

• Like 2
neon signs in the night

This happened to me the other way around in a sense. I felt the same way romantically about all genders so I assumed I was bisexual / pansexual. It wasn't until I was in a relationship that I had to face up to the fact that I am asexual.

Ruru+Saphhy=Garnet

I suppose....though I haven't experienced much romantic attraction, when I have, it has been towards men 99% of the time, and masculine women 1% of the time.

I'm not into romance any ways, but I prefer to date men. But i am open to dating butch women.

But, when I think of myself in a queer platonic relationship, I see myself with feminine women. When I have experience platonic attraction, it has always been towards women exclusively. I can be pals with anyone regardless of gender/less identity or biological sex, but when it comes to a QPR, I see myself with a woman only.

I'm pretty much aromantic so I'm not really interested in others romantically. But I feel like I'm a lot more comfortable with certain things that other guys may not be comfortable with. I don't care about seeing another guy (or girl for that matter) naked. I don't care about having to share a room with anyone as long as they don't have annoying sleeping habits. And et cetera. I'm just very detached and not concerned with a lot of things. 

Kind of in the same boat right now. 19m, I've never felt anything until recently feeling demi-romantic toward 2 of my friends, I'm just really frustrated and confused about it.

I'm feeling like I've lost interest in being romantic with anyone. Or maybe I never actually was interested in a romantic relationship and it just sounded good in theory. It's been confusing because of the fact that I'm not really that interested in guys anymore. I'm not that interested in people in general because I am very detached. It can be nice to have people to talk to, but I am never sad about being alone or anything. Maybe it's my depression, idk.

J. van Deijck

all I can say that even though I can find people of all genders aesthetically attractive, I'm able to develop romantic feelings for men only.

at least for platonic feelings, I think I can consider myself pan. :P (still mostly men, but not exclusively)

• Like 1

I had to sit and think about this for a while, but asexuality didn't make me more attracted to other genders. Before I found out about asexuality, I just figured I was bisexual or pansexual. Then when I looked more into it and all the different types of attraction, it's made me realize how restricted and separated my attraction really is. I don't feel as romantically attracted to cis-women as I would with trans women, it's more aesthetic. However, with those who identify as men and those who are nonbinary, it's completely untampered with.

I don't really view people by genders, so probably not.  I always found myself better able to bond with the opposite sex and that is still true nowadays.

I might not necessarily care about genders but I don't really feel like that necessarily makes me panromantic.