• Announcements

• Kelly

New Team members Needed--Moderator, Project Team, and Declass Team: Voting   12/10/13

See:   http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/164659-new-declass-team-member-needed-voting/   http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/164657-new-moderator-member-needed-qa-co-mod-and-world-watch-mod-voting/   http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/164656-new-project-team-member-needed-resources-and-education-director-voting/  
    • Kelly

AVENues Holiday Special Edition is now live   08/17/17

The new edition of AVENues is done!   See:        
    • Lady Girl

Ace Community Census   11/06/17

It’s time for the 2017 Ace Community Census!   see:   http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/162675-announcing-the-2017-ace-community-census/  
    • Heart

Help fund AVEN's servers!   11/06/17

AVEN is doing its annual fundraiser to raise donations for server costs! See http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/163251-aven-server-fundraiser/ for more details.  
Amcan

Welcome Older Asexuals

teatree

Looks like it was originally posted in 2006, so that was a long time ago (in Internet terms!)....

Decaf
35 minutes ago, teatree said:

Looks like it was originally posted in 2006, so that was a long time ago (in Internet terms!)....

Thanks, teatree. Apologies for not being more observant.
In 2006, I was still in my 40s *sigh*

teatree
3 hours ago, Decaf said:

Me too!

Decaf

:-)

will123
9 hours ago, Decaf said:

Times three and had just figured out my situation.

Decaf
15 minutes ago, will123 said:

Times three and had just figured out my situation.

You were 120? ;-)

daveb
27 minutes ago, Decaf said:

You were 120? ;-)

So that's where his user name comes from! :lol:

will123
2 minutes ago, daveb said:

So that's where his user name comes from! :lol:

LOL!

Decaf

Lol x

daveb

In 2006 I was just leaving my 40s (turned 50 that year), and had no clue about asexuality or where I fit. :) 

Decaf

I first heard the word in 1979 or 80, but there wasn't a community or the internet etc, so there was no way to take that information any further.
In the early 2000s, someone set up an ace Yahoo group and that's when I began actually identifying as ace because I realised I wasn't alone.
I would have been 39 or 40 at that time. I'm 56 now.

will123
12 hours ago, daveb said:

In 2006 I was just leaving my 40s (turned 50 that year), and had no clue about asexuality or where I fit. :) 

I know what you mean. "I don't want to have sex with a female and not interested in guys. What is wrong with me?" It wasn't a consuming thought, but it was in the back of my mind when someone would make a suggestion to me about so and so being available, or I know a friend/co-worker/cousin that is single. I generally didn't pursue the matter (the situation with the girl named Suzanne was the one time I did) because I was pretty sure the other person would have a different idea of where the pairing should go.

As far as I was concerned I just felt that I wanted a female 'friend', like a male buddy. Do things together, but not involve sex or romance.

daveb

I didn't even know I didn't want sex. I thought I just needed to get much closer to someone emotionally first. And even then I thought I just didn't know how to do it right or that there was something wrong with me. I don't remember how I came across AVEN (something to do with wikipedia or google or some other random web wanderings post-relationship). And that's when it finally clicked. :)

Decaf

The way I describe my asexuality is to say that the way straight men feel about men, and straight women feel about women....that's how I feel about everyone.

will123
On 9/30/2017 at 0:10 PM, daveb said:

I didn't even know I didn't want sex. I thought I just needed to get much closer to someone emotionally first. And even then I thought I just didn't know how to do it right or that there was something wrong with me. I don't remember how I came across AVEN (something to do with wikipedia or google or some other random web wanderings post-relationship). And that's when it finally clicked. :)

That kind of becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy doesn't it? I thought of that too at times. "Why bother because with no experience I'll just screw it up".

Daniela

I call myself asexual since I am 16 but only now I found out this is an 'official' sexual orientation. What a relief to know this as my whole life I considered myself as someone abmormal. I am in doubt however if I could be a 'semi sexual' although I am still not very familiar with these terms. 

Btw I am 46 year old woman ☺

daveb
4 hours ago, Daniela said:

I call myself asexual since I am 16

Welcome and :cake: !

Daniela
On 11/3/2017 at 11:00 PM, daveb said:

Welcome and :cake: !

Thank you!

chandrakirti

There's been a whole lot of new peeps recently, so welcome! This is good news. In 2006 I was a 46 year old harassed single mum looking after an elderly mum and holding down a three shift rota job. I'd no time to think about sex:lol: so it wasn't till things quietened down that I began to see the light of asexuality.

vogonpoet

Hello (again). I've been away for a while.  I'm trying to make the time to stay involved.  I need some kind of support network, especially during the holidays.  I intend to rejoin the DC area meetup group, even though I'm old enough to be everyone's mother (or grandmother).  Believe it or not, I was spurred on (pun intended) by BoJack Horseman-- Todd being an ACE, and the depiction of that as "being OK" just BLEW my MIND.  I'm sure it's been a major topic of conversation on AVEN. 

Anyway, good to be back, and though I find the sheer volume of forums, topics and posts to be overwhelming, I'll stick mostly to this one and see how it goes.

Cheers, Leigh :ph34r:

teatree

Hello @vogonpoet and welcome back. I have never heard of Bojack Horseman, so apologies--I just Googled it to find out! Yes, there are sure a lot of forums here, but I tend to stick to just a couple so as to not get overwhelmed.

Mocha Jo

There is so much here that I don't have time to post on more than one or two. The over 50 thread is about the only one I tend to check in on. But I read a lot. I am amazed that it took me so much of my life to figure out why I can't keep a relationship going no matter how much I want to. I am not usually that dense, LOL.

will123
10 hours ago, vogonpoet said:

Hello (again). I've been away for a while.  I'm trying to make the time to stay involved.  I need some kind of support network, especially during the holidays.  I intend to rejoin the DC area meetup group, even though I'm old enough to be everyone's mother (or grandmother).  Believe it or not, I was spurred on (pun intended) by BoJack Horseman-- Todd being an ACE, and the depiction of that as "being OK" just BLEW my MIND.  I'm sure it's been a major topic of conversation on AVEN. 

Anyway, good to be back, and though I find the sheer volume of forums, topics and posts to be overwhelming, I'll stick mostly to this one and see how it goes.

Cheers, Leigh :ph34r:

That should keep you busy enough. Welcome back :)

~pixie~

Hello!  Just reintroducing myself to the all the "older asexuals!" LOL  I was here for a while some years ago, but life happened...  Anyway, I'm 52.  I'm pretty sure that classifies me as being "older," although I don't FEEL "older" at all!  Whenever I think about being 52, all I can think is, "That can't possibly be! I don't feel THAT old!"  Oh, well, I guess it's better than being 52 AND feeling my age! LOL

Sleighcaptain

Welcome back ~pixie~:cake::cake:

~pixie~
17 minutes ago, Sleighcaptain said:

Welcome back ~pixie~:cake::cake:

Thank you! :D

daveb
4 hours ago, ~pixie~ said:

reintroducing myself

Welcome back and :cake:

chandrakirti

welcome back @pixie , the site seems to be edging towards 100,000 now according to what I've heard.

~pixie~
8 hours ago, daveb said:

Welcome back and :cake:

6 hours ago, chandrakirti said:

welcome back @pixie , the site seems to be edging towards 100,000 now according to what I've heard.

Thank you! :)