Welcome Older Asexuals

There may be something underlying the tales, like the destruction of a small island or something, but if you're asking if I believe the stories about a highly advanced society and the literal truth of the stories the answer for me is nay. Like cryptozoology, I would say there is a mix of truth and myth, depending on each story. Sometimes there is a more mundane explanation than the myths tell us. Sometimes there's outright hoax. And every once in a while something real is found, albeit usually not quite what the myths and tales might lead us to expect. It's fun to examine these things and think about what might be out there, undiscovered so far. But without clear proof I remain sceptical of any unsubstantiated claims.

Thank you Mr. LG. I will have to locate that book for myself. It sounds great.

I am currently reading "The House by the Churchyard" by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu, first published in 1863. It's a Victorian historical novel and mystery by the author of "Carmilla", the prototype novel of female and lesbian vampires. :twisted: Pre- Victorian mannerspunk, village gossip and powdered wigs abound. :blink:

Wow! How great is that to get different scenarios swirling in your mind!!

At the present time, I am going through all of my research notes and data sheets from my schooling concerning Lemuria/Atlantis. Sometimes I'm like a pit-bull with a certain topic, and I wholeheartedly believe that my mentor would not have stressed the evidence proving Lemuria's existence if he had any doubts.

My desk is a whirlwind aftermath of papers, folders and such. I most certainly will let you and "daveb" know what I unearth; hopefully to change his nay to a yea. You, "Mr. LG", I feel has an open mind on the subject, from your previous comments. Later! :)

Hi Runester. I've done a bit of research on Lemuria and Atlantis myself. Apart from the works of Blavatsky and the Theosophists beginning in the late 1800's on into the 20th cent., there are also the works of Rudolf Steiner and Max Heindel in the early 20th cent.(both Christian mystics). I also have a book here called "Lemurian Scrolls" by Satguru Sivaya Subramuniyaswami published by the Himalayan Academy in 1973. A very interesting subject to study. Of course there is also the book "I Remember Lemuria" by Richard Sharpe Shaver, but not to be taken as seriously as the others.

I pretty much reject Theosophy and Madam Blavatsky's spiritual/historical output. The Christian mystics you refer to, are strict 'fundamentalists', having all leanings in that area. My current effort involves the tablets found in various places; where my original knowledge stems from. What a marvelous 'library' you have, Mr. LG. Please know that I make notes of everything you send, as I appreciate your contributing to my knowledge.

Thank you for the posting!!

@"Mr. LG": Thank you for the book reference. Is "The Game of Thrones" upon what the HBO Series is based? I find it very fascinating!

Hi Mr. LG,

This is a welcome thread, for people to introduce themselves and be welcomed (and showered with cake). If you want to get in on or start discussions you might be better off in other threads in the "Older" forum (or other forums, as appropriate) or starting your own topics there.

(I hope this doesn't sound abrupt or dismissive. It's meant to be helpful. :) )

Ah. Doesn't always translate well digitally, eh? :P (I know, I've been there, too)

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I'm older but I'm certainly pretty youthful. I look good and feel good, in fact, I've just lost 45 pounds so I'm really feeling good these days. I'm the mother of a 14 year old daughter, divorced and basically married to my creativity. I enjoy sexiness, but not sex. How did I know I was asexual? Well, um...sex was always a bore to me, simply that. I liked the lust and the affection, but once the sexy turned into sex, I knew it was just not for me.

So, here I am. Finally among my kind, hahaha...

I'm Hartley, good to meet all of you.

Welcome, Hartley! And congratulations on the weight loss! (I lost about 55 pounds over the past year myself) It's a great feeling, and I know it's not easy. Have some :cake: (it's virtual, and therefore totally non-fattening. :lol: )

Being married to your creativity sounds cool, too. May I ask what kinds of creative stuff you do?

Welcome, Hartley, and have some cake!

(I'd put the traditional cake icon there if I knew how. Anyone? daveb?)

There are two ways.

1. When using the Full Reply you should see a list of emoticons on the right side of your screen. One of those is the cake emoticon. Click on the one you want to insert into your post.

2. Simply type colon and then the word cake and then another colon, no spaces, when you are typing a post.

easy as pie (or :cake: )

:)

I don't see a Full Reply button, just an Add Reply. Many times have I clicked on the "Options" button in Add Reply, which brings up 14 emoticons, but no cake. I keep knowing that it must be somewhere! But I'm glad to know about and try the colon cake colon option:

:cake:

Voila! And thanks!

Well, I'm older but I'm certainly pretty youthful. I look good and feel good, in fact, I've just lost 45 pounds so I'm really feeling good these days. I'm the mother of a 14 year old daughter, divorced and basically married to my creativity. I enjoy sexiness, but not sex. How did I know I was asexual? Well, um...sex was always a bore to me, simply that. I liked the lust and the affection, but once the sexy turned into sex, I knew it was just not for me.

Glad to see you made it over here Hartley! :)

The really funny Mr. LG is my husband...he's the guy with the cute cat sitting in the window avatar. Don't expect much from him though. He types very very slowly. :lol:

• 1 month later...

Hi Hartley - first, congrats on the weight loss! Also, I have a 13 year old daughter - it is a great age, I think! Glad you are here and I look forward to your posts. Welcome :cake: for you!

daylily

Welcome Hartley and I hope you feel proud of yourself on the weight loss. Don't worry about the AVEN welcome :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake: , it's fat and calorie free :D . Great to have you with us and I hope you'll enjoy :D

• 1 month later...

I don't want to concider myself "old" but definitely belong here. I have so many questions I don't know where to start. I'm 47. Beginning relationships started sexual but very quickly I got bored and eventually becomes a burden. First husband of 18 years and 3 children died of an overdose. Did I do this to him? 2nd husband just 1 year was arrested for sexual misconduct with a minor. Did I do this to him? Now 1 year into my 3rd I think I've figured out my problem. I've never orgasmed but thought It just wasn't the right man. I love him and don't want to hurt him but our marriage is in trouble. I try to pretend but it's so hard. Is there anything I can do to make me normal?!!!

I don't want to concider myself "old" but definitely belong here. I have so many questions I don't know where to start. I'm 47. Beginning relationships started sexual but very quickly I got bored and eventually becomes a burden. First husband of 18 years and 3 children died of an overdose. Did I do this to him? 2nd husband just 1 year was arrested for sexual misconduct with a minor. Did I do this to him? Now 1 year into my 3rd I think I've figured out my problem. I've never orgasmed but thought It just wasn't the right man. I love him and don't want to hurt him but our marriage is in trouble. I try to pretend but it's so hard. Is there anything I can do to make me normal?!!!

Hi Janieg, welcome to AVEN, and have some cake! :cake: :cake: :cake:

I too was married for 18 years and had three kids, and am now re-married. I've been with my current husband 18 years (married for the last 13), and even though we are soulmates, we are not compatible sexually. So we've got that challenge to deal with, plus his mental health (he suffers from severe depression). Sexually, I've done a compromise thing for most of the relationship, but in February of this year I decided to be more true to myself. Not being interested in sex or participating in sex is what is "normal" for me. I feel more comfortable now, knowing that my body is my own.

Good luck with sorting out your thoughts and feelings about it all. No two people have exactly the same situation, orientation, or personality, so what is right for me or someone else may not be the right thing for you.

Thanks ms trish. I have a best friend named Tricia. I haven't told her what I've figured out either. She would listen and understand I'm sure. This is a good site. Learning a lot. But I really don't get the cake thing:/

Really wondering what my husband would do if I told him. I don't think ... No... I know I couldn't handle him seeing other women for sex and then home to me for dinner. Totally wouldn't work. Pretty sure I'm just gonna suffer a while longer. I know it's not fair to him but idk. Ugh!!

He gets very jealous when other guys talk to me. He thinks I'm gonna run off with someone else because I'm not sexually attracted to him. He just doesn't understand that I'm not sexually attracted to any man. Just love to be around people. Men and women. Few beers, some dancing, dinners out. We have a lot of fun.

My husband and I have alot in common and have fun but the tension is getting thick. Ttyl

But I really don't get the cake thing:/

It's an AVEN tradition to offer new members virtual cake. Have some more! :cake:

Glad you are enjoying the site. There is a lot to read and learn for those questioning who they are and what they want, and trying to sort it all out. Hope you get lots of good info and support here.

Welcome and :cake: Janieg!

(there are "legends" about the cake, around here somewhere, as well)

• 2 weeks later...

I too am not quite 50 yet but my body says I'm old!!!!!!!!!! I also wish we had the option of a chat room. There is something very different about being able to get IMMEDIATE feedback. (Patience really is not one of my strong points) Anyway, I am 49 with 3 kids (yes, I have been married twice but neither worked. Now, I am happily a nonsexual, where was this website 20 years ago???????!!!!!!!!! I will look forward to new posts, I have waited a long time to find people who not only don't think I am crazy, (well at least for my sexual views)but who also share my views!!!!!!!!!!!! WAHOO!!!

I also have had 2 children, married for 23 years and the last 3 years have been absolutely not interested in sex. I have had my own room and bed for over 2 years and ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT. Not that sharing a bed is a bad thing, but everytime I got in it, it must have meant it was time for sex? But finally, somebody that may possibly understand how I feel because my soon to be ex does not.

Hi Janieg, welcome to AVEN, and have some cake! :cake: :cake: :cake:

I too was married for 18 years and had three kids, and am now re-married. I've been with my current husband 18 years (married for the last 13), and even though we are soulmates, we are not compatible sexually. So we've got that challenge to deal with, plus his mental health (he suffers from severe depression). Sexually, I've done a compromise thing for most of the relationship, but in February of this year I decided to be more true to myself. Not being interested in sex or participating in sex is what is "normal" for me. I feel more comfortable now, knowing that my body is my own.

Good luck with sorting out your thoughts and feelings about it all. No two people have exactly the same situation, orientation, or personality, so what is right for me or someone else may not be the right thing for you.

I too am married to a man with depression which was present prior to our marriage becoming sexless. My soon to be ex and I are friends and soulmates but not compatible as a married couple. In order for him to have his sexual freedom and me not feel guilty because he doesn't get any, we are splitting up. Though I will miss him daily, I am sure that this decision will make us both happier and even better friends. No more unhealthy guilt for me. I am going to enjoy my (sexless) life to the fullest. :D

I too am married to a man with depression which was present prior to our marriage becoming sexless. My soon to be ex and I are friends and soulmates but not compatible as a married couple. In order for him to have his sexual freedom and me not feel guilty because he doesn't get any, we are splitting up. Though I will miss him daily, I am sure that this decision will make us both happier and even better friends. No more unhealthy guilt for me. I am going to enjoy my (sexless) life to the fullest. :D

Sounds like you have a good and healthy (and mature) attitude/approach. Sometimes we have to make decisions that might be difficult, but are better for everyone in the long term.

Best wishes! :D

Hi freedom, I didn't see your response until just now. It does seem like there are several similarities in our situations.

I can imagine what a difficult decision it has been for you and your husband. Splitting up is so painful when you love each other and enjoy each other's company. In my case, I think my husband's depression is an even bigger deal-breaker for me than my lack of interest in sex is for him. He doesn't want to break up, but his depression has been so severe the past couple years that I feel myself getting pulled under with him. It is difficult to live with this much gloom, but I do love and care about him so much.

I wish you and your husband luck in remaining close friends while following your own paths. If my husband and I separate, I will, as you say, "miss him daily."

• 3 weeks later...
Ragdollphysics

hello everybody, i'm new, i'm 40 something, only discovering about myself and aven in recent weeks, so apologies if i make mistakes

never married, i never wanted to and wasn't interested in motherhood, all i feel now is relief

like a weight lifted, i spent 40 years being fake, and how hard is that!

i'm enjoying being in my 40s, i find a new confidence, i've had a career change, went back to college, left my man of 10yrs, he was gay and in denial for a long time until 18 months ago, we were always friends, and we are best friends now, we both moved on and live apart, we're both much happier,

i lost out financially (leaving him made me homeless but i knew i had to get on with it) i was suicidal, i knew it was leave or die

i enjoy living alone, it's been 6 months, i enjoy my freedom, i keep fit by dancing, cycling, MTB, i'm told i look 35 and i feel 25

like a lot of athletes, i had a sports injury which resulted in reconstructive surgery so i was in physio 3 years (acl) so i went thru that whole realisation of my own mortality a few years ago

now i'm more chilled and i make the most of the good times

i enjoy spending more time with my siblings and their young children and our parents (i moved back to where my family live and where i grew up and all my childhood friends are here too)

my future feels positive, i miss nothing of my old fake life, least of s e x

my body is my own, my life is my own, and all the pressure to conform to society's ideals have vanished :)

thank you ppl of AVEN for creating for me a safe haven <3 and i hope to meet lots like me, be inspired and inspire

/cheery wave :)

Welcome, Ragdollphysics! Have some :cake:

Sounds like you're in a pretty place in life and poised for things to get even better. I think that's one of the good things that comes with experience and learning to understand our own selves better. :)