What do you think about long-distance / online relationships?

Guest Deus Ex Infinity

arekathevampyre
5 minutes ago, Antihero. said:

I speak monotonously and apparently even sound somewhat mechanical and cold to some due to that fact.
Some people don’t like it, I don’t really care whether the lack of emphasis in my speech bugs them or not. Not gonna change anyway.  

Actually I think the substance of what is said is the important thing and not how it sounds, that's just trivial.
Except one is a singer or an actor, then it does matter a lot of course ;)

sounds good . 

J. van Deijck

my voice is too squeaky I guess, and a bit too high-pitched for my tastes, so if people can accept it, that actually means something. :P

oh and I tend to sound mechanical, too.

J. van Deijck
8 minutes ago, Antihero. said:

Glad to hear that  :D;)

what's better than a voice that sounds mechanical :D

Guest Deus Ex Infinity
On 3.8.2017 at 9:51 PM, Serran said:

I am in a LDR / online relationship right now, have been since November. It's hard and I'm not going to lie and say it's not. You have to trust each other and you have to be OK hardly ever seeing each other, if you live far enough away travel is really expensive. And, it could take  years, as in, 5+, to be able to live near each other in the end. But, you can absolutely fall in love and keep a relationship going through virtual means - especially with Skype, facetime, etc now :) I miss being able to hug and cuddle her when we're not together, but the Skype calls / texts are better than any RL dating experience I've had with other people, so I wouldn't trade it for anything. 

As for cheating/flirting, it doesn't even occur to me to worry about that with my partner. I've told her if she is interested in other people at any point, tell me and we can be friends, no hard feelings. But, I trust her. :)

Sounds like a perfect constellation :D Congrats!

Guest Deus Ex Infinity
2 hours ago, arekathevampyre said:

I have that when I was a new born for extended period of time . People are always asking about my voice , which annoy me . But since I am broke , I am gonna go without it . 

Me too *hugs*

My experience with online/long-distance relationships has been that online communication can create an illusion of closeness, that may or may not translate into in-person compatibility IRL. 

In all 3 of the relationships I've been in that began online (the longest relationship lasted a year), none ultimately worked IRL. The online connection simply wasn't present IRL, which I'll admit was pretty disappointing. I so desperately wanted things to work out IRL and to connect in-person like we had connected online...sigh. (Broken hearts thankfully mend though, and we all have an endlessly renewable source of love inside of us:)

That said, I've heard of many long-distance relationships working out. But if you're hoping for a relationship to ultimately work out IRL, my experience has led me to talk/skype/visit in-person asap to see if the virtual connection also exists IRL. 

It's really difficult in the asexual world with so few people nearby IRL. Someone might be great in real life, but if you don't first connect online, it's a non-starter. Similarly, if you connect well with someone online, you may then have high expectations for connecting in-person, which may not happen IRL, and can potentially lead to huge disappointment. I guess my thoughts would be to live fully in the moment and be mindful of any expectations.

As someone who's "love language" is touch (though not sexually, duh...) I would struggle to have a seriously long term relationship without seeing that person in person. But I could see it being different for other people, so nope, don't think any less of you for it. I could see cheating being an issue, especially for a sexual... and flirting... Not sure about that one... I think it'd just have to slide so long as action didn't follow words. Half the time when I talk to ladies, I mean it in a completely platonic sense and wind up sounding flirty though, so my view on it isn't exactly what you're looking for... 

• 2 weeks later...

I crave real, deep communication, in whatever form. An online relationship suits me fine. I've had some intense ones that go for years.

Most of my "relationships" for the most part have been long  distance even if the first 2 were only over the span of a 2 town distance away. Its not that far, yes but when you nor the person you're dealing with don't have a car or a license to drive then that can get distant really quick. My current relationship actually IS a true long distance relationship though since I moved and the guy I'm with is still in NY. It can work as long as the participants are willing to put in time.

Archived