How Do You Feel About Nonbinary Genders?

MaxIsSocallyAwkward

MaxIsSocallyAwkward

I just wanted to ask everyone on here how they veiwed nonbinary genders.

Honestly binary is very specific and a stupid system as it only has two with different combinations in our culture. That's my opinion. Also bathroom segregation doesn't even work, and in my opinion does nothing to help anyone.

People are people, and categoryizing for gender is bizarre, what's the point in gender if we only have to specified categories? Honestly it's pointless when it's so restricted to me.

ChillaKilla

They're real

I feel like everything is subjective, so one thing might not be the same for someone else. It's like how the definition of "a man" changes depending on who you ask.

Grumpy Alien

Indifferent

They're people like everyone else and deserve respect, not "lol i identify as an attack helicopter i'm so funny lololol memes"

29 minutes ago, Zenzencat104 said:

Also bathroom segregation doesn't even work, and in my opinion does nothing to help anyone.

Lets not forget that most people are cisgendered and straight. If someone walks into the wrong bathroom/shower room, their intentions are more likely than not to be less than appropriate. Walking into the incorrect bathroom draws attention, and puts people on edge, which acts as a deterrent to those who wish to do harm. On the other hand, this deterrent can also lower the risk of couples having sex in public bathrooms.

Digs_Dead_People

They're just people.

I'm a touch biased because I identify neither as female nor wholly male.

I feel like it makes sense for nonbinary genders to exist, but I think that sometimes people might go too far in the creation of new terms based on some very very specific and subjective traits. To me it just seems unnecessary to come up with a new gender because of something that I would just consider an aspect of someone's personality, regardless of their gender, but I guess that's a line that would be pretty hard to define. 

In any case, I think nonbinary genders in general are valid and everyone's gender is their own to define and describe so even if I came across terms that to me didn't make sense I wouldn't personally argue with that person because it wouldn't be my place to "police" that. 

21 minutes ago, Rwkropf said:

On the other hand, this deterrent can also lower the risk of couples having sex in public bathrooms.

Evidently it still happens. 

NerotheReaper

They are valid, but I sometimes wonder if people are a bit invasive like what is in someone's pants and how they feel gender wise. 

ChillaKilla
11 minutes ago, NerotheReaper said:

They are valid, but I sometimes wonder if people are a bit invasive like what is in someone's pants and how they feel gender wise. 

You have no idea <_<

To Each Their Own
14 minutes ago, NerotheReaper said:

Very true!  

When you are transitioning, binary people usually ask you, "How far are you going to go? Are you going to...you know..." Like, is that THE most important and fascinating question about non binary transitioning binary people can think of? Really? What's the morbid curiosity about what's in someone's pants? 

2 hours ago, Rwkropf said:

Lets not forget that most people are cisgendered and straight. If someone walks into the wrong bathroom/shower room, their intentions are more likely than not to be less than appropriate. Walking into the incorrect bathroom draws attention, and puts people on edge, which acts as a deterrent to those who wish to do harm. On the other hand, this deterrent can also lower the risk of couples having sex in public bathrooms.

why would people have sex in a public bathroom? 1. it's public. that's weird and kind of rude to the other people around. 2. there's little space in them.

6 hours ago, m4rble said:

Evidently it still happens. 

Indeed, just imagine what it would be like if the deterrent were removed.

4 hours ago, (D)anny said:

why would people have sex in a public bathroom? 1. it's public. that's weird and kind of rude to the other people around. 2. there's little space in them.

As m4rble stated, it does happen on the odd occasion. I'm glad I've never walked into a public bathroom when this has been happening.

Besides, as far as the whole trans/non-binary bathroom issue, I think that there are more important issues to worry about than who uses what bathroom.

Nonbinary peeps are A+ 10/10.

7 hours ago, (D)anny said:

I think that's the whole appeal to it. The thrill of doing something you could get in trouble for. Itt sounds mega unappealing with how dirty public restrooms are.

For me it's a very real and valid thing i experience every day and learn more and more about. I honestly feel people shouldn't define people by the content of their pants.

5 hours ago, Amaretti said:

I think that's the whole appeal to it. The thrill of doing something you could get in trouble for. Itt sounds mega unappealing with how dirty public restrooms are.

Ewww ._. I only go to the public restroom in my local railway station as they are super modern and someone walks in and cleans them as soon as someone has done their business.Zero chance they've done nasty things in there! I don't even go to the restroom in the local mcDonalds or anywhere else they've got these things.

Yes, they're very real and it's nothing new and has been around for a long long time. I could elaborate on this if people want, but I'll currently spare the wall of text.

About the bathroom thing, I either go to a single neutral public bathroom or just avoid public bathrooms altogether. I feel like it's too unsanitary for me... too many people and I don't want them to hear me do my business (which is why I always prefer to have the fan running) and I don't have to feel so out of place when going to one of the gendered bathrooms.

• 1 month later...
The_Reluctant_Dragon
On 8/3/2017 at 1:48 PM, SkyWorld said:

Yes, they're very real and it's nothing new and has been around for a long long time. I could elaborate on this if people want, but I'll currently spare the wall of text.

About the bathroom thing, I either go to a single neutral public bathroom or just avoid public bathrooms altogether. I feel like it's too unsanitary for me... too many people and I don't want them to hear me do my business (which is why I always prefer to have the fan running) and I don't have to feel so out of place when going to one of the gendered bathrooms.

Agree 100%, non-binary people exist. And, the bathroom thing, I usually will try to go to the family bathrooms, and if not, I would just not go at all.

On 2.08.2017 at 11:20 PM, Max_That_Trans_Guy said:

I just wanted to ask everyone on here how they veiwed nonbinary genders.

What kind of question is that, even?

Some people are non-binary. Fact. And how do you feel about sky being blue? O_o

I don't get the fuss about it.

It baffles me how some think that our human brains are so un-diverse that they can fit into a simple 2 way system.

Honestly, we really should scrap the idea of gender all together. Too many people are forcing gender norms onto people who don't want them, or demanding they separate the toilets, when really we just need clean separated stalls, so no one peeps. Forcing someone into a box isn't going to help them grow as a person. We are curious by nature, and need to see the value in self-exploration.

Well nb people exist.

And on the toilet thing, just separate stalls so no-one can stare at you work just fine. No need to drag gender into it.

On 02/08/2017 at 11:32 PM, Liebelit said:

I feel like it makes sense for nonbinary genders to exist, but I think that sometimes people might go too far in the creation of new terms based on some very very specific and subjective traits. To me it just seems unnecessary to come up with a new gender because of something that I would just consider an aspect of someone's personality, regardless of their gender, but I guess that's a line that would be pretty hard to define. 

In any case, I think nonbinary genders in general are valid and everyone's gender is their own to define and describe so even if I came across terms that to me didn't make sense I wouldn't personally argue with that person because it wouldn't be my place to "police" that. 

^^ This! Let's coin a phrase - microlabelling. I don't mind what people call themselves really, but I feel it's all getting very confusing, especially for those who are cis gender and for whom anything else than the binary doesn't even occur to them. I agree that gender is overused. Why would it matter that someone is a female coach driver?? It always appears to be female that's picked out too, like doing something as a female is a specific achievement... like driving a coach as an AFAB is just wow! How does she do it?

I consider myself non-binary and that's as far as i would go. I'm in the middle between male and femail in the binary system and both adhere to aspects of both and none at the same time, if that makes sense.

I didn't mean that harshly, I meant it to show that there is a lot of emphasis on the gender binary we could do without, sorry if it was misinterpreted.

my thoughts are,

first it's important to see the three definitions for "binary"

1. something which consists of only two categories. either category A or category B.
  2. to take something which isn't always "all this" or "all that" but can be, and identify it according to "this" or "that" anyway, purposefully, to simplify nomenclature.
  3. something or numerous different things, which are always composed of two elements or components, but maybe there's a lot of one part or maybe under circumstance even none of one or either part. the grouping as a whole is only of those two parts, no third part.

technically speaking, gender has to be binary according to (3) as gender is usually made up from male or female, and to be without both technically isn't excluded from a set of things which is coposed of two elements. well, except if this was what was meant when talking about gender binary vrs nonbinary, "maverick" and other thirdgender identities would be what is nonbinary, and everything else, genderless, bigender, demi, trans, cis, would be binary. but, as well all should see, this clearly isn't the meaning that is used in the context of gender, so we can ignore it for this purpose of understanding it.

now if we look at it as the first definition tho, it actually doesn't match the usage either. the two categories would be cis male and female, and as soon as you have someone trans - they are not binary anymore - as a transmale is a different category than a cis male or a cis female. but, we refer to some trans folk as binary trans, so this clearly isn't the meaning either.

so that leave the second meaning - and honestly this really works well. binary folk say, "well this one fits best so I'll use it" between male or female. nonbinary folk aren't quite so satisfied with that nomenclature for themselves tho. so (usually) nonbinary is the unbrella term, and in casual usage is enough to comminucate that they don't identify as male or as female entirely for a reason. then, there are numerous more-specific terms, such as "bigender" or "androgynous" or "agender" or "greygender" or "demigender" etc etc that describe how they feel, including third-genders also of course.

in this way, I find it imperative that we actually cease insisting that "binary gender is wrong" because - yes it's wrong for those who are nonbinary, and that's right for them. but for those who are binary - that is right for them.

for example, technically I am genderless. but, because of being trans I identify as female - which means that I am actually taking the binary approach. for awhile I did identify along the nonbinary nomenclature - but something changed and so now I identify according to the binary nomenclature.

The gender binary is just a social construct, forcing roles upon people. I am a nonbinary person myself and I think the whole stuff of genderpolarity is an unwholesome system of oppression of privileged persons to keep the status quo. the whole religious stuff people relate tho it is part of this too...

Archived