Museums Poll

iff

Museums in the last 3 years  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Have You Been to a museum in the last 3 years ?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. How many different museums have you been to in the last 3 years?

• None
    • 1 museums
    • 2 museums
    • 3 museums
    • 4 museums
    • 5 museums
    • 6 - 10 museums
    • 11 or more museums
  3. 3. Where have the museums been in the last 3 years?

• In my own country
    • In a foreign country
    • Been to both in my own country and foreign country
    • Have not been in a museum in the last 3 years
  4. 4. Approximatly what distance from where you lived at the time, was the museums you visited in the last 3 years

• In the same town/city/nearest place that I live
    • within 25 miles of where i live
    • 26 - 50 miles of where i live
    • 51 - 100 miles of where i live
    • 101 - 200 miles of where i live
    • Over 200 miles from where I live
    • Have not been to a museum in the last 3 years
  5. 5. Have you been to the same museum more than once in the last 3 years

• Yes
    • No (but have visited museums)
    • No (have not visited museums)
  6. 6. What type of museums have you visited in the last 3 years

• Farm/rural life museum
    • heritage centre
    • natural history
    • war museum
    • archaelogical museum
    • national history
    • culture museum
    • wax museum
    • maritime museum
    • science museum
    • toy museum
    • transport museum
    • technology museum
    • Palace museum
    • Decorative arts museum
    • another type of museum - please state
    • have not been to a museum in last 3 years
  7. 7. Why did you visit the museum

• School trip / assignment
    • Visiting the city on holiday
    • Spare time with nothing to do
    • They are really cool
    • Why not?
    • Exhibition on that I wanted to see
    • Friends wanted to go
    • other reason - please state below
    • have not been to a museum

This poll is closed to new votes

I used to work in a museum 

I volunteer at a museum now. Museums are cool. 

Though unlike the Doctor I don't use them to keep score. 

SpaceDustbin

I think I've been to about 16-ish museums in the past 6 months. I always try to visit at least one museum when I go on holidays, but usually it's more if I have the time. Priorities are art museums and archaeology museums, though I also really like natural history museums and maritime museums. 

It does really help to promote museum visits if museums are free or cheap, like in the UK, which also makes it easier to just visit for a short time, and maybe come back later, so you don't have to feel guilty about wasting money if you don't manage to see the entire museum.

I've been to a lot of museums in my lifetime (probably over 50), but only 1 in the past 3 years, and it was last week!  XD

I was in Washington DC for an anime convention, and my con buddy and I visited the International Spy Museum.  We did the interactive spy tour thingy called Operation Spy, which was a blast, but didn't have much time to spend in the actual museum.  It was filled with kids that don't know how to take turns on all the little interactive exhibits anyhow.  I did get to crawl through an air duct in the regular museum part, though!!  XD

I'm not much into museums to be honest because while I do enjoy knowledge and art, I prefer small regular doses of them to an entire day in a museum. But three in the last three years as far as I remember. One of art, with some sculptures but mostly paintings, one with the history of a region and one for sports. And I went because I was there, in no case did I go just for that. But once I was in the places where they were, I just thought, why not? They were all with free entrance btw, at least for students, so that helped.

• 3 months later...

I was on holiday, visiting friends, we went to Indiana, whilst there, one of my friends decided to take me to Kerstings World of Motorcycles museum near North Judson, it's right out in the middle of nowhere, the owner is a lovely old gent called Jim Kerstings, what an interesting character, did he have some stories to tell, he's certainly lived an interesting life, he can tell you everything about every bike in the museum, he's ridden every bike and driven every vehicle in the museum, he's met a lot of interesting people, including some well known actors and singers, he has a passion for country music, the place is a must for any bike enthusiast in the vicinity, it was a great way to spend my day 

Been to a few museums in the past couple of years, all in Japan. My closest museum is the Kagawa Prefectural Museum (been twice), which has Japanese historical and religious art, a special (changing) art exhibit and a history of the region exhibit. I've also been to Kaitaku no Mura (the Hokkaido Historical Village) in Sapporo, which is a huge outdoor museum of buildings from the original Japanese settlements on Hokkaido (all the buildings date from around the mid-19th - early 20th century). Also Shikoku Mura (the Shikoku Village), which is also a museum of buildings (much wider age range though - some of them are mud/stone huts) and some of the museums on Naoshima - mostly modern art/architecture (the whole island is basically a modern art museum itself - there are installations everywhere).

I've done a lot of traveling in the past three years and at my last job I worked as a tour guide at a museum. I am a huge fan of those small city museums with only a few rooms. I feel that there is a better, more personal story from each exhibit considering that most of those small museums are made of local donations. Not to mention I am obsessed with Mysteries at the Museum and always try to get to any local museums that I discover on that show! 

The answers to this poll are very interesting, thanks everyone :)

Planning my next trip to Dublin in December, I'm thinking the science gallery museum

Or getting lost looking for it ;) (joking, Dublin is a small city)

We went to several museums on a trip in October - including an art museum's special exhibit about Westerns, another art museum's special exhibit about stage magic (mostly posters from the shows, with historical info), an insectarium, a planetarium, a couple of science museums with lots of interactive exhibits, Mark Twain's house (set up as it might have been when he lived there), and other museums and other attractions such as botanic gardens and a biodome with plants and animals.

I went on a tour of my city's old jail, which was made into a museum, with my family. I don't remember how long ago it was, though.

Being a student in the archaeological field kind of requires going to museums... and also a lot of them abroad. I actually love going there, they're interesting, and if I have the opportunity to travel, that's all the better :) 

I really like museums so when I'm in some new city I always try to visit one and when I'm just at home I go to art exhibitions.

Hermit Advocate

I don't really remember the number of museums I have seen in the past three years. It's at least 30, though probably closer to 40. I have been to both my local museums and foreign museums. I think it would be really interesting to work in a museum and an currently minoring in museum studies. 

Sleepy Skeleton

I've been to 2 different museum recently as far as I can remember, and one of them I've been to twice. So three total. I'm only counting large museums that I have to pay to get in to.

There's an art museum fairly close to wear I live, about 30 miles. It's so popular that one of the statues you can see there is kind of the icon of the city it's located in. I've been there twice for school projects, but the second time I brought my mom with me so it was really more for fun. It's so big that I only got to see about half of the exhibitions they had.

There's a sciencce/technology museum further away in another city that I've been to plenty of times, but the most recent time was about a year ago when I went with my brother and his girlfriend. It's not as interesting as it used to be when I was a kid, but I guess that's just because I've been there too many times. I love the IMAX theater.

I don't know how many museums I've gone to in the last few years, but with all my travels, I know that I've been to quite a few. I know that I've gone to a few in NYC, Massachusetts, Havana, my current residential area, and my hometown, so there's some variety. Farther back than that, I went to countless museums in Germany, Austria, Italy, France, and Ireland, so I suppose I just really enjoy finding museums when I travel.

It's always nice to have an excuse to walk around and take in some form of culture. I loved a lot of the Afro-Cuban museums in Havana in particular, and my current residential area often has events and conference presentations in the nearby museums that are pretty solid. Guess my inner ethnomusicologist enjoys any sort of display of culture in particular.

• 3 months later...

History Museum

I work in a museum, but I didn't include that in the number of museum's I've visited count

• 1 month later...

In the last 3 years I went to 10 or 11 museums. I really like to visit them. I always learn something new and see interesting things, so when I have time I plan a full day with my friend and we go see museums. The last time I went, was last February. In one day we saw 5/9 museums we had planned. It was so interesting and diverse!!

We saw the Tiles museum, it was so big we took 3 hours to see everything. Inside, there was also a Church, so it was 2 in 1; then we went to the Water museum (t was small, but we saw the machines that provide water to the city, so it was very cool; then we saw the Militar museum (it was really big and took us 3 hours too. We saw all types of weapons and guns used by each time in the Portuguese history and in other contries. It was divided by all the different kings we had and each had a room. It was amazing. The rooms were so beautifully decorated!!); then we saw the Fado museum (It was a confusion, we saw it all, but never understood where the start and end were.) and lastly we saw the Pharmacy and Health museum (it was really interesting for us, since we are Chemists. It was also creepy. The mannequins seemed so real that I was always scared whenever I turned a corner. I was always jumping and almost screaming. :D My friend laughted at me, but I made up a story that made her scared afterwards.). In 2018, I also saw the Lisbon Story museum and another monument. I also saw the National Archeological museum, last year. There was an exposition of my hometown that I wanted to see. That year I also visited a forest museum during vacations and a fashion museum and the Puppets museum. I think I also saw one about the Czars, but I don't know if it was 3 or more years ago.

Next time I get time, I'm going to visit the Comunication museum, the Money museum, the Beer museum and the Contemporary Arts museum. (The ones I and my friend could see before.)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

@iff

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to re-start new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived