Nottsexual

I Made an Introduction to Asexuality Infographic

Nottsexual   
Nottsexual

Hello, I'm new to the forums, but I've been reading up on and contemplating asexuality for a couple years now.

It took me a long time to figure out the Split Attraction Model, and especially how it fit in with the usual meaning of a sexuality.

There's tons of text resources that helped me wrap my head around it, but I'm a very visual person, so I made it into a graphical allegory.

Hopefully it'll help some people come to a better understanding of their sexuality much faster than I did.

It's also intended as an introduction to asexuality/aromanticism for complete newbies, or a way to introduce your sexuality to friends or family in a clear way.

If you find it helpful, let me know! I'd be so happy to hear that it made something click, or helped you explain something to yourself or someone close to you.

It's pretty big, so here's a link to it instead of a direct picture: http://imgur.com/a/DdROf

Edited by Nottsexual
Incorporated feedback

SophiaG91   
SophiaG91

Nice! I'm still pretty new to asexuality/aromanticism myself so I don't have any other input. 

Lucas Monteiro   
Lucas Monteiro

I find this really great. Can help people who wants to understand more about asexuality and are new to the subject.

SomedayTheSky   
SomedayTheSky

That's awesome! Thanks for making it!

Plectrophenax   
Plectrophenax

Not that it matters too much, but there's a typo right at the bottom ("oreintations" instead of "orientations"). If you want to change that, there is still time.

And, personally, I would include the area to the left of the bell-curve "greysexual" and not "asexual" - to me, the latter only fully describes the far end of the graph. But that's a terminological question and I'm well aware of how diverse the understanding of these terms can be.

Aside from that, very nice, approachable and charming. Well done ^_^

Nottsexual   
Nottsexual

@Plectrophenax Thanks for pointing that out! I fixed it up.

I didn't include grey-sexual for a few reasons. For one, it's meant as an intro to the community, and grey gets into more nuance that someone could explore once they get interested in learning more. Getting more detailed would also have made a longer info graphic, and I thought it was getting a bit out of hand already. Thanks for the suggestion though ^_^

timewarp   
timewarp

Nice one! :):cake:

chandrakirti   
chandrakirti

I didn't know that aromantics were represented by an ace of hearts, I thought that was for the romantic aces.

Althea_V   
Althea_V

I sometimes see the ace of hearts as a symbol of asexuality in general (because the ace of hearts looks like a heart and not an ace without a background of a card?), but when I've seen the community devided between the different aces, I always saw the ace of spades as a symbol for aromantic asexuals.

Also, both the asexual and the aromantic community try to answer the question mentioned in the infographic with the split attraction model, though the infographic only mentiones the spectrum of sexual attraction in that point.

warrigan   
warrigan
On 8/1/2017 at 8:46 AM, chandrakirti said:

I didn't know that aromantics were represented by an ace of hearts, I thought that was for the romantic aces.

yes, you're right; aro aces are ace of spades and romo aces are ace of hearts. :) 

AceTherapist   
AceTherapist

Beautiful! And way more comprehensive than other infographics! Is there a way to show the exact sexual/romantic placements can vary? Afraid some people may take it literally (bisexuals being more sexual than allosexuals etc) or maybe show a couple possibilities for each orientation. And maybe a single mention of gray ace? Fine print? Even basic infographics have included it. I seriously love it though. Forwarding to friends and colleagues

Nottsexual   
Nottsexual

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! I realize the ace of hearts was a pretty big misconception, so I fixed that up. I also added a small acknowledgement for graysexuals, and a link to AVEN so people have direction if they want to learn more.

Caphyra   
Caphyra

Fantastic infographic. Thank you so much.