Sleep (Poll)

ItWasNiceKnowingYou

Sleep (...My Elusive Friend)  

167 members have voted

1. 1. On average, how many hours of sleep would you say you get a night during the week?

• None. Sleep is for the week (<- hahaha pun. i'm tired. don't judge me.)
    • 1-3
    • 4-6
    • 7-9
    • 10+
    • Other
  2. 2. Do you use the weekend to catch up on sleep?

• Yes/ If i had a busy week
    • No/ I get about the same amount of sleep every night
    • Who's askin'? (Sometimes)
    • Other
  3. 3. Do you consider yourself to be an insomniac?

• Yes
    • No
    • I have episodes here and there
    • Other
  4. 4. Do you have hypnic jumps? (jolting awake as you're falling asleep)

• Yes, all the time
    • Yes but rarely
    • No
    • Other
  5. 5. What's the longest amount of hours you've stayed awake at any given time?

• 10 hours or less
    • 10-24 hours
    • 25-36 hours
    • 37-48 hours
    • 49-60 hours
    • 61-72 hours
    • 72+ hours
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

ItWasNiceKnowingYou

Personally, I don't sleep that much. I maybe get 0-4 hours of sleep a night. 5-6 hours a night is a dream come true. I can sleep on the weekends if I am both physically and mentally exhausted enough to pass out. Actually... now that I think about it...... I think I've gotten around 15-20 hours of sleep in the past 4 days. (Yes i am probably going to get this checked eventually). The longest I've stayed awake is 73 hours straight thus far (and it was terrible).

So what about you guys? :)

I usually get about 6/7 hours of sleep per night. It just depends on what time I wake up in the morning. I always end up watching YouTube before going to sleep, so sometimes I end up a little sleep deprived the next morning if I watch too much.

Also I had no idea what hypnic jumps were called before this post! They happen to me really often, but I never knew the words to describe it when searching about it on Google.

Miss Anne Thrope

I usually sleep well, which is good because I like my sleep! I get irritable if I get less than 8 hours a night a few nights in a row.

The longest I've been awake is about 45 hours. I find that I start to have hallucinations after being awake for 40ish hours. Usually it's just small flashes of colours and shapes, but last time a patch of my bedroom carpet looked like orange grass blowing in the wind. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Guest Invisible Pumpkin

I could sleep a whole day or not to sleep for a couple of days either. I normally love to sleep so... I try to do it as much as possible. 

ItWasNiceKnowingYou
12 minutes ago, Miss Anne Thrope said:

I usually sleep well, which is good because I like my sleep! I get irritable if I get less than 8 hours a night a few nights in a row.

The longest I've been awake is about 45 hours. I find that I start to have hallucinations after being awake for 40ish hours. Usually it's just small flashes of colours and shapes, but last time a patch of my bedroom carpet looked like orange grass blowing in the wind. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Yep. Hallucinations are not fun xD

14 minutes ago, Miss Anne Thrope said:

I don't know how you survived being awake for 45 hours 0_0

I pulled an all nighter once (it was maybe about 28 hours?), and I was dying. 

ItWasNiceKnowingYou
2 minutes ago, thejm said:

I don't know how you survived being awake for 45 hours 0_0

I pulled an all nighter once (it was maybe about 28 hours?), and I was dying. 

If you were dying at 28 hours, then I would suggest going ahead and writing your will if you go any longer than that xD

11 minutes ago, SimplyAce said:

If you were dying at 28 hours, then I would suggest going ahead and writing your will if you go any longer than that xD

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I would actually die if I tried to. I guess I just need my sleep :P

Miss Anne Thrope
22 minutes ago, SimplyAce said:

Yep. Hallucinations are not fun xD

What sort of hallucinations have you had? Just curious. When I started hallucinating, my reaction was "hmm, this is interesting, though it's probably a bad sign. I really should get some sleep." 

ItWasNiceKnowingYou
5 minutes ago, Miss Anne Thrope said:

What sort of hallucinations have you had? Just curious. When I started hallucinating, my reaction was "hmm, this is interesting, though it's probably a bad sign. I really should get some sleep." 

The usual colors and objects moving. Sounds of bells or other objects I know aren't in my room. The room spinning and/or moving as I walk. Things of that nature

arekathevampyre

the weird thing is that I can feel that a hypnic jump is going to occur before it does . I have got these for years since young and it seems to get worse (more frequent) as I get older . :( and I am not even THAT old . 

ItWasNiceKnowingYou
1 minute ago, arekathevampyre said:

the weird thing is that I can feel that a hypnic jump is going to occur before it does . I have got these for years since young and it seems to get worse (more frequent) as I get older . :( and I am not even THAT old . 

https://sleep.org/articles/hypnic-jerks/

Anomaly Q3Xr

I tend to get 4 - 6 hours of sleep a day.  I go to bed around 4 - 5 am, and am up at 10 am.  Sometimes I am up earlier (I've had about 3 hours last night)

I never catch up on sleep, I'm usually too busy with working on my own personal sci fi universe to sleep.  Or helping look after my brother's kids.

I am an insomniac.

I often have hypnic jumps (didn't know there was a term for it).

I usually sleep 6-10 hours a night, I don't have much trouble falling asleep, though I can sometimes start to fall asleep then jolt awake but meh. I catch up on sleep during the weekends. The longest I've ever stayed awake is 48 hours, when I was a kid, cause that's how long it took to beat this one Genesis game and it didn't have a save function and me and my brother had tried to leave it on overnight to sleep once and after playing all day, when we got back after sleep, it had frozen, so we were determined to just stay up and beat it and we did. :D 

ItWasNiceKnowingYou

I know this isn't good, but I am happy to not be the only one who has stayed awake longer than 72 hours :lol:

I get anywhere between 4-6 or 15-20 hours of sleep a day depends on what I was doing the last few days but normally its 4-6 only sleep 15-20 after longer game sprees when I get the time to do them. many of my sprees can last from all nighters to monster 4 days of gaming..... remember the longest one i ever had was a week long gaming spree and after that, i slept for two days straight. fun times.

My biological clock awakes me everyday, when I reach 6 hours of sleep, unless it's weekend. So, 6 hours is the maximum during the week, in weekends I sleep 10-12 hours to compensate. 

I have episodes of insomnia, but I don't think I'm insomniac. Sometimes, I have hypnic jumps. I always wonder what it was and what caused them. 

I never stayed awake a whole night, but in my insomnia episodes only slept 2-3 hours ever night during the week. 

Hypnic jumps used to freak me out but now they just annoy me. Like I'm tryna sleep here, can you not?

I often get 7 hours at least but it can be as much as 9. I'm quite lucky on the sleep front.

Currently I sleep maybe 4-6 hours per night. If I'm having a bad episode, I come home from work and instantly go to bed. 

Also, if stuff (aka people) has been mentally exhausting the week, I can sleep till 12 hours on the weekend and I won't be moved out of the bed, not even by 3 alarm clocks... 

Can't fall asleep without help either, I need to either put on a movie or youtube (asmr helps loads)... and sometimes I can't sleep at all.

Didn't know the term 'hypnic jumps', but yeah, occasionally I have those, they scare me.

Sleep has become something that is rarely enjoyable, the entire procedure is nerve wrecking. And if I dare to remember a dream, it's 90% nightmares, no thank you.

everywhere and nowhere

Two things I would add:

1. I sleep badly, but I would never ever take a sleeping medication stronger than those "goodnight" teas with slightly sedative herbs such as lemon balm, hops, lavender, chamomile (I'm a teamaniac, by the way, I drink lots of different kinds of tea and, for example, I never drink the same tea more than once daily). I'm very scared of them, typical "sleeping pills" are among the more dangerous psychoactive substances, way more harmful than some of "Those Evil Drugs" such as weed.

2. With my allergy, insomnia (it results from my allergy - I can't fall asleep when I constantly feel discomfort) and poor dream recall I have a negative emotional attitude towards sleeping. It feels like an unfortunate duty to me. I know that all complex living organisms MUST sleep, but I regret it, I would prefer to be able to rest without sleeping and to spend whole nights reading. The only time when I'm grateful for the existence of sleep is during my period - without the painkiller-free sleep "break", I would risk paracetamol overdose.

Grumpy Alien

I have mild insomnia. I still usually get 7-9 hours, though sometimes it's more like 2-4. That usually happens in clumps. I'll get maybe 5 days of little sleep with a day or two of no sleep during the night (I can usually take naps) and then finally I can sleep again. I've tried most things and they help me relax but not actually fall asleep. I hate taking prescription sleep aides as they make me groggy for 12+ hours and I can't drive or work safely like that. Melatonin doesn't appear to work for me - my neurologist told me to try taking it every day a few hours before bedtime and settle down in the dark without my phone. I did that for two or three weeks. No difference whatsoever. After tossing and turning for hours, I'd grab my phone and get 2-4 hours of sleep and just drink lots of coffee and tea the next day.

Ruru+Saphhy=Garnet

I usually sleep for 7 hours, 9 at the very most.

It is rare that I feel rested. I always feel sleepy :/

I HAD DO IDEA HYPNIC JUMPS HAD A NAME!!!!!

I am for sure a weekend sleeper. I get a very mild insomnia when I'm really excited about something (you know, because I'm a 4 year old) or if I've slept really well for a few weeks (~8hr a night).

I put 25-36 hours for staying up, but that's only if I don't count short naps. If I didn't count my short naps, I'd say I had 62 hours of staying up without actually getting the rest I needed.

Grumpy Alien

I put 25-36 hours without sleep because after 24 hours, I can nap. It might only be an hour of stage I sleep but I'm not awake during that time so...

I got to sleep at around 10-11 pm and wake up at around 6 am both during the week and the weekend. For some reason I I always wake up at around 6 am even without an alarm. I do have hypnic jumps sometimes. I think the longest I've gone without sleep was around 25 hours.

I wish I could've answered this poll more accurately, but I have no sleep schedule so it's hard to be accurate, but going to bed at 3 am and waking up around 7 is a luxury. 

I hallucinate of colors, shapes, and mostly the actions I was doing the day before play in my head (for example, recording keyboard MIDI regions in Logic, coloring an intricate mandala, or the wild motions of a roller coaster.

Sometimes I just can't sleep for nights on end so I thrive on coffee or tea. But the lack of sleep drains my memory 

3 hours ago, Puck said:

I HAD DO IDEA HYPNIC JUMPS HAD A NAME!!!!!

Neither did i .

7 hours ago, Perkins said:

Hypnic jumps used to freak me out but now they just annoy me. Like I'm tryna sleep here, can you not?

I often get 7 hours at least but it can be as much as 9. I'm quite lucky on the sleep front.

They still freak me out ;)

They worry me I might hit my head when I have one.

1. I generally sleep 6 - 7 hours. Could actually check this by my aven last post of the night and first in the morning :D

2. Not really, I find I sleep worse at the weekend

3. Episodes here and there

4. All the time

5. 25 - 36 hours staying awake, though near 25 than 36 hours. 

Archived