The World Watch mod communication thread

scarletlatitude

scarletlatitude

(Shamelessly stealing the idea from other admods :ph34r:)

I have been with World Watch for over a year now. I think I've got a pretty good handle on it. What I would like to know from you, the World Watch viewing members, is what can I do to improve World Watch? Is there something I should or should not be doing? Is there something you would like to see more/less of? 

• 4 weeks later...

Hello! I mentioned the following in my first post in this thread, but will repeat here as it is more relevant

... note for the moderator, have you considered using a citation program such as Mendeley or Zotero (both free)? You can index it and share online so it makes it easier for us to search, for example. You might even be able to link it to the wiki somehow...

At least going forward you could add the 2017 articles and then post a link to the online library. Both Mendeley and Zotero have that feature.

scarletlatitude

@Caphyra Thanks for the question!

I know of Mendeley (I use it for my doctoral program). I didn't think to use it for World Watch. Hmm, I will look into that. The only reservation I would have is it seems that Mendeley needs a PDF or something similar, and some of the articles we have are paid only. 

Thanks! :)

17 hours ago, scarletlatitude said:

@Caphyra Thanks for the question!

I know of Mendeley (I use it for my doctoral program). I didn't think to use it for World Watch. Hmm, I will look into that. The only reservation I would have is it seems that Mendeley needs a PDF or something similar, and some of the articles we have are paid only. 

Thanks! :)

No, you don't need to add a PDF, in fact, I recommend against it as that is what chews up the space limits. For work I use Google Drive and add a link to the PDF. So this is more a librarian type thing, as an organisation you can include 2 links, one to the journal/website etc, and then the second link to an inhouse (moderator access) google drive type location. Just a suggestion. I am happy to help in any way.

scarletlatitude
4 hours ago, Caphyra said:

No, you don't need to add a PDF, in fact, I recommend against it as that is what chews up the space limits. For work I use Google Drive and add a link to the PDF. So this is more a librarian type thing, as an organisation you can include 2 links, one to the journal/website etc, and then the second link to an inhouse (moderator access) google drive type location. Just a suggestion. I am happy to help in any way.

Great ideas! :) I am actually working on updating some of our current articles for the newer APA guidelines, and I am including links when possible. I like the idea of using a Google doc so that multiple people can add to it. Or maybe even a Google form for people to send us articles. Hmm... 

• 3 weeks later...

@scarletlatitude

Maybe we could have a pinned thread that lists as many asexual YouTubers as we can find? I feel like they contribute a lot to asexual visibility and awareness, but archiving every video separately doesn't really work. World Watch isn't really adapted to that type of visibility.

scarletlatitude
13 hours ago, Laurann said:

@scarletlatitude

Maybe we could have a pinned thread that lists as many asexual YouTubers as we can find? I feel like they contribute a lot to asexual visibility and awareness, but archiving every video separately doesn't really work. World Watch isn't really adapted to that type of visibility.

Neat idea! I'll see what I can do. :) 

scarletlatitude

For all -- I have the idea of removing the pinned threads and creating one master thread with all the links. What think? I'm not a fan of adding more and more pinned threads, but I also don't want to unpin important threads that are currently pinned, and risk them getting buried deep in the depths of World Watch. 

scarletlatitude
On 9/14/2017 at 6:26 AM, Laurann said:

@scarletlatitude

It is now a thing here: http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/161326-list-of-asexual-youtubers/

Archived