why must i be so conflicted?

some days i wake up and choose clothing as if i'd care what i looked like. when i'm downstairs or anywhere and someone comments that i look good, i don't want to wear the shirt/makeup/jewelry anymore? because then i'm like don't look at me ew go look in a mirror or at someone/something else, though the only one i get dressed for should be myself. i don't even know what the question is... does anyone feel this way? i'm starting to doubt whether it even has anything to do with asexuality... what even.

When I was younger I never wore makeup and always wore clothing that was way too big and unflattering, thinking it would deter people from looking at me... now that I'm older I wear makeup and jewelry and nice clothes (relatively, anyway) all the time. Part of it is thinking about what others think and part of it is just wanting to look nice because it makes me feel good. If it doesn't make you feel good it's a lot of work and money, after all. But it feels awkward because people associate looking good with wanting other people's attention, and being asexual means I don't really want that sort of attention. So yeah, I understand, it's conflicting sometimes. But, I'm done with trying to make myself invisible.

• Like 1