Do You Consider Asexuality A Disorder?

This is a sensitive topic, but I hope to hear your opinions. 

Have you ever thought being asexual was a disorder? 

It is said that it is human nature to want to reproduce, to keep the population going. All animals which reproduce sexually have a sexual desire. They don't decide they don't want to have sex, it just comes naturally to them. 

So does it mean something is wrong with you (physically or mentally) if you don't have that sexual urge? Why or why not?

• Like 1

I don't believe that a general statement on this would be accurate. Not experiencing sexual attraction/desire can indeed be a "fallout" of a couple of mental disorders. There are also completely healthy asexuals out there.

• Like 10

Asexuality the sexuality? No. That would suggest that any "not straight" sexuality is a disorder.

Science has found these sexualities in all species and find they tend to crop up more when a species is overpopulated. This helps the population grow because instead of just focusing on having children, "non-straight" members of a species will help raise children so more of the offspring that are born survive. Humans find other ways to do this, such as nurse/doctors treating kids instead of just parents, but that's how a lot of species seem to work.

However, there are some people who don't desire sex due to other disorders, but that is, in my opinion, a bit of a different beast.

• Like 5
NerotheReaper

It is not a disorder. 

A disorder implies that something disrupts someone's life and the quality of their life. 

• Like 11
27 minutes ago, Rawrth said:

It is said that it is human nature to want to reproduce, to keep the population going. All animals which reproduce sexually have a sexual desire. They don't decide they don't want to have sex, it just comes naturally to them. 

So does it mean something is wrong with you (physically or mentally) if you don't have that sexual urge? Why or why not?

Dumb question. Of course not.

30 minutes ago, Rawrth said:

No.

And I didn't decide to be asexual. It comes naturally.

No. Also, disorder's don't necessarily means something is wrong. I have 2-4 learning disorders. Nothing is wrong with me, my brain functions differently than most.

10 minutes ago, asexjoe said:

Dumb question. Of course not.

I think that the question is legitimate :)

• Like 9

pretty sure it's factually not considered a disorder so it doesn't matter what anyone personally considers it.  if sexual orientations were disorders they wouldnt be sexual orientations

• Like 3
Ruru+Saphhy=Garnet
40 minutes ago, NerotheReaper said:

It is not a disorder. 

A disorder implies that something disrupts someone's life and the quality of their life. 

^^This. 

1 hour ago, Rawrth said:

Asexuals don't "decide to have sex". We don't have sexual attraction. Asexuality isn't a choice. You can't decide to be asexual. Asexuality is different than celibacy/chastity. Just because someone is celibate or chaste doesn't mean they stop  experiencing sexual attraction. And I'm no scientist, but in my opinion, we have to be careful when we state that "all animals which reproduce sexually have sexual desires." New things about certain species are found out constantly, and it may be found out that asexuality (lack of sexual attraction) can be found in all (or certain) species. Again, I'm not scientist, so if someone is more knowledge on the subject, I welcome you to correct any errors I could've made.

The asexual wiki has something about animal studies about asexuality (I know this isn't the most reliable source because folks can edit things all the time, but I think it is worth mentioning)

http://wiki.asexuality.org/Research_relating_to_asexuality#Animal_Studies

This link maybe of interest to you as well.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/living-single/201609/asexuality-is-sexual-orientation-not-sexual-dysfunction

• Like 3
ChillaKilla

Definitely not. It doesn't inherently impair one's functioning or quality of life.

• Like 5
Ruru+Saphhy=Garnet
39 minutes ago, Homer said:

I agree.

• Like 1
Ruru+Saphhy=Garnet
1 hour ago, Rawrth said:

It is said that it is human nature to want to reproduce, to keep the population going.

Also, if a person who is gay and wants to have sex with someone who is of the same sex, is it against human nature?

No. Homosexuality is not against human nature (and I don't think asexuality is,either).

Homosexuals and asexuals alike are a minority, so, neither population groups would harm population growth.

Homosexuality (as well a bisexuality) has been found in a number of animal species as well (bonobo apes are a good example).

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Rawrth said:

It is said that it is human nature to want to reproduce, to keep the population going.

While this may be true in general, it is not anymore when you break it down to the individual. "Survival of the fittest" is a term for a reason. Nature doesn't want everyone to reproduce regardless of their characteristics. (Just to be sure - this is not meant to be mean or offensive towards anyone!)

• Like 1

As many have said, a disorder must by definition impair a person's daily life. I don't believe any sexuality (including heterosexual) does this for the vast majority, so no, asexuality is not a disorder by definition.

Also, a disorder implies that a person is broken in some way. I am not broken. I am merely different from the masses.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Homer said:

It's dumb to ask the question here.

One might even regard it as trolling.

You might want to check the "Ace Problems" thread. There are hundreds of posts where AVENites have been asked whether they got their hormones checked and stuff like that (which I consider a legitimate question as well). Also, where else would you go to hear opinions from asexuals considering that question?

• Like 5
NoLongerActive1234
3 minutes ago, asexjoe said:

It's dumb to ask the question here.

One might even regard it as trolling.

It doesn't appear as trolling to me at all. Just like genuine curiosity/ponderings. 

• Like 4
TheCatBehind

Never thought it was a disorder and never will.

• Like 3
Guest Deus Ex Infinity

A disorder? Fuck - NO! Otherwise I would have to go on therapy again. I would have to be healed from more than 5 different disorders in that case. I'd rather jump out of an open window once again.

Lucas Monteiro

For everything I like to use skeptical thoughts and look with through the eyes of Science. And with this in mind, I like to say that asexuality is not a disorder of any kind. I can proof that with research in the area of asexuality. Take some looks here in those links : 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3859969/

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10508-008-9434-x

http://science.sciencemag.org/content/311/5763/990

http://psycnet.apa.org/record/2006-12728-004

According to one of those studies, "There were not higher rates of psychopathology among asexuals.There was also strong opposition to viewing asexuality as an extreme case of sexual desire disorder." You can argue that it can fit in the criteria for Schizoid Personality Disorder, but we don't have sufficient date to prove or contradict.

After reading those links you perceive that asexuality is not a disorder, in the maximum can be the excess in amino acid, because asexual lineages may be exceptionally prone to deleterious-mutation accumulation in both nuclear and organelle genes. If you want to talk more about asexuality in scientific research, you can PM me, I have tons of links and proofs in this area. 

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Rawrth said:

Absolutely not.  Many people experience the lack of desire to have sex, even if they're sexual.  Sexuality doesn't exist in a vacuum.  Some sexuals may not experience sexual attraction temporarily because of some mitigating circumstances in their lives.  Even then, it doesn't mean that they're suffering from some "disorder". 

Human nature?  Sez WHO?  Most of the sex being had on any given day is NOT because those people want to reproduce.  In fact, most of them want to avoid reproducing. 

All animals which reproduce sexually have a sexual desire.

No, they have an instinct.  That's different from "desire". 

They don't decide they don't want to have sex, it just comes naturally to them. 

Sure they do!  Consider any female animal.  If she's not "ready" to reproduce, she'll fight off her potential "suitors"...and quite often WIN. 

So does it mean something is wrong with you (physically or mentally) if you don't have that sexual urge?

Thankfully, no. 

Why or why not?

Sex can be divided into 2 major components:

1.  Physical and,

2.  Psychological.

PHYSICAL. The physical aspects of sex can include things like, libido (getting 'horny'), whether or not your sexual 'parts' work (Can a man physically 'get it up' without some 'assistance'?  Can a woman 'get wet' also, without assistance?)  In other words, most of us have the ability to physically have sex.  We tend to believe that if we feel "horny", it means that it's our body's "natural' way of telling us that we want sex. 

Nothing can be further from the truth. 

Some of us may feel that 'tickle' between our legs from time to time, or MUCH of the time.  I know that asexuals may not be able to relate to that, but just....bear with me for a moment...

If we DO feel that sensation, it does NOT mean that we want partnered sex.  What it means, is that our genitals may want further stimulation...but our genitals don't know the difference between stimulation by a partner or by ourselves....which brings me to the next point.

PSYCHOLOGICAL.  (This includes emotional as well)  The sex 'urge' is a combination of both the physical and psychological.  The psychological aspect also includes cultural. 

There is nothing in nature that tells someone to seek out someone else to satisfy them sexually.  Nothing biological.  It's psychological.  Many people have proposed that sex Is "biological" and/or "innate".   That is, that most of us gravitate toward partnered sex, because of "biology" or some "innate" quality that we're ALL "supposed" to have.

And when it doesn't materialize, there's something "wrong". 

Wanting your genitals 'scratched' is biological.  Wanting them scratched by someone else is psychological.  Wanting to eat is biological.  Wanting someone else to feed you is psychological. 

To me...and others... partnered sex isn't so much of an "innate" quality.  It's something that's learned

Having sex is a choice.  It's not "instinctive".  It's not "innate". We can be as horny as anything, but we have the choice how to answer that 'call'. 

• Like 1

I am a schizoid, and experience Asexuality as part of my disorder. But like many people with "schizoid", I don't really consider it that detrimental to my life. Sure I might not be great at relationships with people in general, but that doesn't inhibit my ability to function. So I would not consider every Asexual to be a default natural born Asexual. Some are possibly Schizoid, and that option should be entertained as well.  

• Like 2
Janus the Fox

It isn't a disorder, but if a person considers it a serious problem and wrong should consider counselling to explore those thoughts about that problem and general (a)-sexual identity and to become comfortable with such identity.

• Like 4

I don't believe in any one set "human nature".  What's natural is human variance, which means we're all going to choose our own priorities in life.

If you ever assume everyone has the same priorities, you're going to be wrong.  So it's better to just... avoid using terms like "human nature", and avoid assuming them.

• Like 4