EllieCeeJay

Are you out? Do you want to come out?

wussa   
wussa

I've just accepted that I'm ace after about a year of questioning, still not 100% sure about my romantic orientation but I'll figure it out eventually. I came out to one of my close college friends, also my roommate at the time, she had previously come out to me as genderfluid and more recently as bi so I felt comfortable in telling her. We had a pretty cool conversation about what ace meant to me and stuff. I really want to tell my mom because she's also my biggest confidant, however...I'm not really sure how to bring that up in conversation? I don't think she'd be crappy about it or anything, just confused about what being ace even means. I plan to do it in the future but first I have to work up the courage. I also want to tell my older sister and eventually my best friend. I don't think either of them would be mean about it, but a conversation with my friend makes me a little weary of broaching the topic just yet. I had mentioned that I thought someone I knew might be ace and she didn't really know what that meant, I explained and she was a little dismissive of it and said something along the lines of 'good luck finding someone that would put up with that, sex is all that most people want'. It was kinda hurtful but I think she was just coming from a place of ignorance as opposed to being truly spiteful. I don't know, I guess I'll find out eventually.

I go to college away from home so I've decided to be out there to test the waters. I don't think I'll go out of my way to disclose that I'm ace but if anyone asks I'll tell them. After seeing my cousin recently come out as gay and how much more open and happy they are I really want that for myself as well. 

City_Flyer   
City_Flyer
On 14/08/2017 at 2:32 PM, Elden said:

I'm fully out online, and offline I'll tell anyone who cares to ask. A lot of people around me assumed I was asexual before I even realised it myself, so no real issue there. :P Not that they knew the word, they just assumed that since I didn't talk about sex, I must not be interested in it. I doubt there's any point in telling my mother, since I suspect from her attitude when raising me that she might be demisexual herself. I also like to wear something in the colours of the ace flag, like a patch or a bracelet, as a signal to any other aces who might see me.

I like the idea of the subtle identifier. Mine is a cigarette lighter, printed with the Ace of Hearts playing card. A very dear friend also bought me an Ace of Hearts coffee mug, as a "coming out" present.

Blackmare   
Blackmare

I came out to my parents last night!