What is the easiest way to explain my orientation?

ClosetDragon

Hi, I've been thinking about coming out to another friend of mine. About a week ago I tried to test her reaction to the whole LGBT thing. It turns out that she doesn't even know what LGBT stands for. *facepalms* So now I have no idea as to how on earth I am going to explain exactly what an asexual Aromantic is to a clueless girl who is straighter than a ruler. Help..? 

Not everyone has a fetish for acronyms, Closet.

You don't want to have sex with anyone or fall in love. That isn't difficult to explain, although I doubt your friend will get it.

• Like 5

How deep do you want to go into details? If a general direction is enough, how about "I don't fall in love, and I don't feel like having sex with anyone."? Of course, you're likely to get the "just haven't found the right one yet" reply. But you'd get that with any other explanation, too.

• Like 6
WaffleGrace

Or you could equate it to the Ricky Gervais joke about atheism, if she knows that? His version is that he believes in one less god than Christians. My version is that I'm attracted to one less gender than straight people. It really depends on what kind of relationship you two have. If you're close enough to be talking about your respective sex lives vs. if she's trying to set you up with someone just for the social aspect of it vs. someone you only see in specific situations, all impact how you might want to handle it. Good luck!

• Like 2

I would keep it simple and just say that you don't feel sexual or romantic attraction to people of any gender.  There's no need to get more complicated than that unless your friend is curious and starts asking questions.

If she becomes confused or thinks it isn't possible, I'd explain it like this: If she's a straight female, then she'll be attracted to males in a romantic and sexual way.  However, she won't feel romantic or sexual feelings towards other females.  She might be able to see when another woman is good-looking, and might feel a desire to be friends with her, but those romantic or sexual feelings will never be there.  The way she sees other girls is how asexual people view everyone.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, ClosetDragon said:

I have no idea as to how on earth I am going to explain exactly what an asexual Aromantic is to a clueless girl who is straighter than a ruler. Help..? 

"Romance and sex never seemed appealing to me yet. - I might be a late bloomer or won't bloom at all. - I'm content & happy being myself." I think that is the basic message. What is the benefit of confronting people with the not really asexuality friendly alphabet soup?

• Like 1