Is kissing romantic or sexual?

Is kissing romantic or sexual?

I'm trying to figure out if I'm aromantic or not. I like cuddling (sometimes) and holding hands, but kissing grosses me out. I've never tried it, but I really don't want to. If kissing is romantic, are there grey areas to being aromantic like there are with asexuality?

swirl_of_blue

It really depends on the person, and also on the kiss. For me kissing is romantic and sensual, but not sexual: it is something I want to do with a romantic partner but not a platonic partner. The risk is that most sexuals seem to think of kissing as sexual and even foreplay, so they might think of it as teasing if it doesn't lead to sex.

• Like 3
Someone Else

It can be both, one or the other (a prelude to sex) or neither.  Depends on the intention and reason for kissing.

• Like 1
Ruru+Saphhy=Garnet

There is definitely a grey area of being aromantic!

I'm grey aromantic. :)

The question whether kissing is romantic or sexual.....it depends who you ask.

For me kissing isn't sexual at all.

• Like 2
ItWasNiceKnowingYou

Kissing... Like sex.... Is an activity..... Or an overglorified contact sport. Whatever feelings that are behind it (if any) depends on the people involved.

• Like 3
Guest Deus Ex Infinity
8 minutes ago, SimplyAce said:

Kissing... Like sex.... Is an activity..... Or an overglorified contact sport.

That comment really made me laugh :D Excellent summary!!

I think it depends on the kind of kissing (slight peck on the lips or french kiss for example)

Kissing is sensual. There can also be romantic and/or sexual feelings involved, but they don't need to be there.

• Like 3

I'll go another route as someone started. Kissing, to me, is sensual. Could also be romantic, if the attraction is there I guess. I mean, a kiss on the forehead or cheek is not considered romantic if it's friends, right? Could be sexual under very limited circumstances, I'd say border-lining sensual depending on /where/ the kiss is.

I'm romantic and don't like kissing. Romanticism is more about the desire for emotional intimacy in a romantic relationship. What you do with each other physically is either sensual or sexual, but that's just how I see it.

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, Lirpaderp said:

kissing grosses me out

As many have pointed out already, different people have different views on this. For me, kissing is sensual. For you, it seems to go way beyond sensual. Both views are valid. Just make sure to communicate yours clearly to your partner, if there is any chance of misunderstanding.

• Like 1
Ruru+Saphhy=Garnet
1 hour ago, SimplyAce said:

Kissing... Like sex.... Is an activity..... Or an overglorified contact sport. Whatever feelings that are behind it (if any) depends on the people involved.

^^ This 👍👏

Janus the Fox

A huge romantic thing given the setting for me, I don't see it much to do with sex.

NerotheReaper

It can apply to both, since most couples share a first kiss before having sex together. And if there is some spark in the kiss, or if people are compatible through kissing they might be able to have better sex (pleasure one another more) There can be some kissing during sex different parts of the body or on the lips, this depends on the couple and their style. 

• Like 1