Do I need to have sex to know if I am truly asexual ?

Lucas Monteiro

Lucas Monteiro

I discovered these days about asexuality and it seems that it fit perfectly, everything that has already occurred to me seems that if I had known before I would be much more relieved.

I gave my first kiss to a girl this month, and at the end of the kiss I could only think how strange the feeling was. But it was good to find out more about me, and soon led me to question more about my sexuality.

But now I'm wondering if I really have to have sex to find out if I'm really asexual or not, I'm thinking of doing it to draw my conclusions. What do you all think ?

NerotheReaper

Hi,

You don't need to have sex to know, it is better if you only do what you are comfortable with. Usually if you don't have a desire to have sex than you won't enjoy the act itself. 

• Like 2
Anomaly Q3Xr

You don't need to have sex to know you are asexual.  I am 34 and still a virgin, and know that I am asexual, as I don't feel sexual attraction.  Obviously everybody's different, but if you don't feel sexual attraction, you are likely asexual, whether you've done the deed or not :)

• Like 2

Like others have said, not necessarily. It's up to you whether you want to try it out (obviously be safe about this and only do it if you actually feel like you want to), but you don't have to try something to know you won't like it. I don't want to eat something like....IDK.....fried bull testicles (yeah people eat that; no offense if anyone actually likes that) 🤢, and I don't have to try it to know I'll probably find it nasty and uncomfortable. I don't care if some experts started saying it'd add a year onto my life, it's just viscerally repulsive on an instinctual level so I can do without it. Sex is just something that a whole bunch of people happen to like, so of course their gonna tout their choice/preference as the best. Besides if you try it with a skeptical attitude going in, chances are, you probably won't enjoy it. Don't force yourself to do something you don't want to do; you just do you. 😇

• Like 2

No. You don't need to have sex to know.

I have no interest in performing fellatio on other men. I'm not going to try it to confirm that.

I have no interest in torturing animals. I'm not going to start to find out.

Do whatever comes naturally. You may find that as you naturally involve yourself in a close relationship with somebody, you may find yourself sexually attracted.

These questions are very ambiguous and there is no one definitive answer.

• Like 3

Hope not! Personally I really rather not go through the palaver of "confirming" that I am asexual by attempting to get it on with someone. But it in all seriousness, I don't think it would be fair to the other party. I think I probably I am asexual so I am choosing not to date anyone (not that I am being inundated with others mind) because I don't think it would be fair as I I am not sure I would be willing to participate in something they probably want. 

The_Reluctant_Dragon

No, just like you don't need to have sex to know if you're gay or straight you don't need to have sex to know if you're ace. People usually will say they are gay or straight before ever having sex. Some asexuals have sex before realizing they are asexual. Some asexuals don't have sex and already realized they are asexual. So, yes, some asexuals need to have sex before realizing their asexuality while others don't.

• Like 2