A Relieved Introduction

Allison!

Hello! My name is Allison, and after reading through this forum I feel a flood of relief. Relief to know that I am not alone in this world as I have felt for a long, long time - but there are people out there who are just like me. I am in my mid-twenties now, and have never had a relationship or any sexual experience. Sex has never appealed to me personally - the thought of engaging in sex makes me downright uncomfortable. I have never felt a physical attraction towards another person. I was always waiting for those feelings to kick in and to feel something towards someone, but it's never happened, and at this point I don't think it ever will. Self-acceptance has been the greatest challenge for me - I've dealt with a lot of depression, anxiety and self-loathing. I have (and still do) feel a lot of shame for being a virgin and not having any interest in sex when it seems to be all my friends want to talk about. For a long long time, I was convinced that I was irrevocably broken inside, and was not meant for love or happiness. However thanks to therapy and maybe just maturity, I am slowly learning to accept myself for who I am. It has been a struggle, but I am slowly coming to embrace the label of asexual. 

I still wish there were more resources locally for me - I was upset to see during my local pride week there was nothing relating to asexuality awareness. I feel like it is something that still is largely not discussed, and the one friend I mentioned it to did not take me seriously. That is why I feel relieved to see these forums, a place to talk openly and freely in a safe environment. :) Anyways that is my short story about asexuality, it feels good to get it out there!

Diamond Ace of Hearts

Welcome. Have some cake. :cake:

Your story kind of reminds me of mine. I'm glad you found AVEN.

Maybe if you contact the organisers of your local pride, you could get them to add some asexuality-related things for next year?

Welcome to AVEN! :cake: Thank you for joining and sharing your story :) hope you like the forums. sorry it didn't go better discussing asexuality with your friend

Now, for some more helpful information about the site, in addition to my welcome (and cake):

As part of my welcome to you, I'd like to point out some important threads that might be helpful in your first few days here. :) The Terms of Service is here. We recommend you read it over, and if you have any questions please don't hesitate to send either myself or any other administrator or moderator (the "admod" team, as we're called) a message.  Also, there's a handy forum called Site Info, which has some useful information including a thread outlining who moderates which forum. If you ever need something done in or have questions about a specific forum, please message the mod of that forum. And if you have problems with the site in general, or any single member, please message any admod. 

The following are also nifty links to take a look at:  Welcome Lounge Mini Manual | Welcoming 101 | Quick Guide to the Forums | Asexuality FAQ's

b666e5ff708fd899daeef7414e276a66--unique

26 minutes ago, Diamond Ace of Hearts said:

Welcome. Have some cake. :cake:

Your story kind of reminds me of mine. I'm glad you found AVEN.

Maybe if you contact the organisers of your local pride, you could get them to add some asexuality-related things for next year?

Thank you so much! :) Thats actually a great idea, I think I will do that! 

Diamond Ace of Hearts

Let me know how it goes; I've been thinking of doing the same thing with my local pride. And if you're in the UK, I might even be able to come and support you with it, if you like.

Anomaly Q3Xr

Hi Allison, and welcome to AVEN.  I too was greatly relieved when I found this site, and to learn that I wasn't alone.  I am 34 and a virgin, and use to feel a lot of shame about it, but now I accept that it is simply a part of who I am.  Though I do want a close committed relationship, as I am panromantic.  I hope you enjoy your time here, and definitely see if you can get asexual-related things in your local pride.  I went to London Pride with a group of AVENites this year, it was good to meet other asexuals there.

On 7/23/2017 at 8:39 PM, Steve M said:

Hi Allison, and welcome to AVEN.  I too was greatly relieved when I found this site, and to learn that I wasn't alone.  I am 34 and a virgin, and use to feel a lot of shame about it, but now I accept that it is simply a part of who I am.  Though I do want a close committed relationship, as I am panromantic.  I hope you enjoy your time here, and definitely see if you can get asexual-related things in your local pride.  I went to London Pride with a group of AVENites this year, it was good to meet other asexuals there.

Thank you for your kind words. I'm glad to see you've got to a point where you accept it, I think I am on my way there! I would love to go to London Pride, hope I get there someday :)

Yay!! I'm glad you found Aven!! Welcome :D Now you can talk to friends who don't just want to discuss sex lol

Archived