• Rick and Morty
    • American Dad!
    • Archer
    • Bob's Burgers
    • King of the Hill
    • Beavis and Butt-head
    • Other (tell us what it is!)

This poll is closed to new votes

Y'know...cartoon shows that aren't really for kids, but kids still love watching them anyway, but they're really for adults, who also love watching them.

The Simpsons kicked it all off (it's still going after almost 30 years!) and the genre has kept rolling with stuff like South Park and Futurama, right up to newer shows like Rick & Morty and Archer.

Either way, vote for your fav and feel free to tell us all why it's not Family Guy! :ph34r:

I got a bit carried away with options at first, so I decided to restrict it to Ranker.com's Top 10 "Best Adult Cartoons" - there's an "other" option, so if you really love The Cleveland Show or whatever, totally vote for that option.

Ruru+Saphhy=Garnet

My fav adult shows are King of the Hill, American dad, and yes, Family guy XD (though, the newer episodes sucks)

Lord Jade Cross

Well, the Simpson would be my choice I guess. Never was much into south park (parents wouldnt let me see it either) Futurama was ok but I dont remember it making me laugh like some of the Simpsons episodes, Family Guy has changed alot over the years, now they just pretty much run anything they think is funny but many times isn't, Haven't watched Rick and Morty so dont know about that, Archer seema rather funny so I guess thats the competition.

American dad is ok at times but falls short,Never liked king of the hill and not that great a fan of Beavis and Butthead. Bobs burger has actually seem a bit humorous or maybe its because I find the voice actors and the corresponding characters amusing?

South park - can be very up and down in episodes in the same season. But one thing being I never had it as a must watch where I thought "got to see the new episode"

Family guy and american dad were both ok at their peaks but I had to give, when giving up on both series, it was basically turning it off in the middle of episodes and thinking "no more" and never made a return to them. I just couldn't put up with McFarlane's sense of humour any more.

Never watched rick & Morty, archer or bob's burgers, I think time wise these never suited me. Bob's burger I am most tempted to, from clips I've seen it looks very good.

Would have been too young at beavis & butthead.

If I am counting right, it is down to 3.

King of the hill such a solid show, this never appreciated as much as it should have been. So many good episodes, it is a pity I think it didn't get the appreciation it deserves.

Now futurama or the Simpsons which do I prefer? 2 of my total favourite shows of all time. It is a tough call between them. At 6pm daily, I do watch futurama on sky 1 as opposed to the Simpsons on channel 4 though that is with the hope of catching up via channel 4. + 1, going to have to think about this.

Probably the Simpsons. I use Lisa and Bart as peeps discussing math when I want to teach math. And before there was The Simpsons, in 1980-1981, when I was living with a bunch of band members (I played keyboards), Wes Archer, a main artist and director of The Simpsons, later leaving to direct King of the Hill, Futurama, Bob's Burgers, and Rick and Morty, would come by the house when we were drinking beers and show off his art work (he lived in our city and was friends with the artist who rented the house). It was amazing. I figured that he would go places. He sure did. He has since worked on and directed many of the shows listed above. And I have loved The Simpsons since.

I recall his drawings of Ronald Reagan. He drew him all wrinkly and I just had to laugh.

I'm inclined to say Rocky and Bullwinkle and the whole Jay Ward oeuvre. :D

Aside from that I'd say, for me, it's tossup between The Simpsons and Futurama (being as I am into sci-fi). Besides, I haven't seen anything but snippets of the others, and nothing really stood out to me or made me want to watch more.

Ruru+Saphhy=Garnet
39 minutes ago, iff said:

Family guy and american dad were both ok at their peaks but I had to give, when giving up on both series, it was basically turning it off in the middle of episodes and thinking "no more" and never made a return to them. I just couldn't put up with McFarlane's sense of humour any more.

Yeah, both of those shows need to end now. They have had their run. 

41 minutes ago, iff said:

King of the hill such a solid show, this never appreciated as much as it should have been. So many good episodes, it is a pity I think it didn't get the appreciation it deserves.

I agree, King of the hill was a very good show in my opinion. It certainly never got the appreciation it deserved.

I voted for The Simpsons, because of its cultural impact as the show that elevated the cartoon format to an adult medium. My vote is based on the 1990s version of the show, however, as it started going downhill in the early 2000s and should have been cancelled after season fifteen or so.

I'll throw in a vote for Ghost in the Shell (the movies, as well as the series). It discusses some pretty interesting concepts about how people interact with humanity, what it means to be human, etc.

1 hour ago, daveb said:

I'm inclined to say Rocky and Bullwinkle and the whole Jay Ward oeuvre. :D

Underdog (Fractured Fairytales)

Pink Panther

Loony Toons

Animaniacs

all of which can be watched on several different levels by both adults and kids (and the meanings only become clearer as you get older)

The Flintstones & The Jetsons - both of which were on prime time TV for adults long before The Simpsons were a gleam in the eye of Matt Groening  (who was between 6-8 yo when those shows started on TV) ...

WinterWanderer

I'm not really into any of them. I loved Futurama as a kid, and The Simpsons for a while, but I've since tried them again and haven't gotten into them.

I'd have to say that my least favorite is King of the Hill.

I really don't see how 'these are 'adult shows'...the Simpsons?! Really?!

Grumpy Alien

Bob's Burgers. The rest are 💩

South Park hands down, though Family Guy and King of the Hill are close seconds. I like the old Simpsons from the 90's, but I don't really care for the newer episodes.

Grumpy Alien

I honestly can't tolerate and don't even understand the humor in these except Bob's Burgers but I'm not really a cartoon person to begin with and the humor is often very crude and laden with pop culture I'm not familiar with

The Simpsons because the first eight or so seasons of that show are just genius. Even though I've seen those early episodes maaany times, I might still notice something new in them. Sometimes I wonder how I ever liked the show as a kid in the 90s because there's no way I got even 10% of the jokes...

It's funny how back then they could even do funny political stuff even though (or maybe because) it was never all that overt, while the latest overtly political stuff is totally unfunny.

Futurama is great too, obviously, but a lot of the "adult" cartoons seem like they're aimed at the people who never outgrew the phase where saying a naughty word is in itself hilarious (Family Guy and South Park especially). Sexual humor in particular has never been funny to me, but maybe that's to be expected...

Félinferno

South Park is definitely my favourite. I like it's humour.

I also enjoy Futurama, Robot Chicken, and Family Guy.

22 hours ago, Pramana said:

I voted for The Simpsons, because of its cultural impact as the show that elevated the cartoon format to an adult medium. My vote is based on the 1990s version of the show, however, as it started going downhill in the early 2000s and should have been cancelled after season fifteen or so.

I agree with this 100%.

Edit: I also love Futurama and Archer, but they aren't as influential as The Simpsons. Futurama wouldn't exist without The Simpsons because it required the success of the creators. Archer wouldn't exist without the adult cartoon genre as a whole. Also I think Archer wouldn't exist without Arrested Development because the Mallory character gains so much from the familiarity we have of Jessica Walter playing that type of character.

Oops. Sorry. Somewhere between Bobs Burgers and Futurama for me :) 

I was torn between Bob's Burgers and South Park but ultimately went for Bob's Burgers. It's just slightly my kind of comedy over SP. I like the fact the family are all very different but they accept and support each other too. Also Bob's oh my god's are the soundtrack of my life.

I ended up going for Rick and Morty because right now it's just a great show to chill to and very creative.  Archer is good too though I need to see more of it, same with Bob's burgers.   For me, the Simpsons isn't an adult cartoon since I only really watched it as a kid and have no desire to watch it anymore, apart from maybe some of the older episodes

It's hard to decide between South Park, Rick and Morty and Archer.. :( 

(I ended up picking South Park..)

Rick and Morty, Old school Simpsons, King of the Hill, and Futurama are all great shows. 

I don't really consider just raunchy humor to be "adult".

ChillaKilla

Where is Bojack Horseman?!

cavalier080854

Felix the Cat.

Anomaly Q3Xr

I don't really watch TV any more, just stick to films and DVD's, but I used to love Family Guy so I chose that option, and South Park would be a close second.  I've never heard of three of them (Rick and Morty, Archer, and Bob's Burgers).

• 3 weeks later...

Archived