Have I found a "label"?

Polyglot_91

Hi everyone,

I must admit, I feel a little strange posting on this site. 

I have never really known my sexuality. I only recently came across the term asexual and based on what I've read, it seems the best fit for me. I'm wondering if anyone else has gone through this process? 

Have others had internal battles trying to figure out what they are? I know that people think/assume I am gay, which I find unsettling as I am not. 

I'm also in the process of wondering who I should tell, as it feels like a burden sometimes. Has anyone else ever thought like that?

I'd also like to know how others tell their employers about being asexual? I am a teacher and I am not sure how that should be addressed. 

Thanks you for reading.

Welcome to AVEN! :cake:

4 minutes ago, Polyglot_91 said:

I'm wondering if anyone else has gone through this process?

A lot of people do of through a bit of a process. Many will even go through several labels.

6 minutes ago, Polyglot_91 said:

Have others had internal battles trying to figure out what they are?

A lot of aces feel broken until they find asexuality.

6 minutes ago, Polyglot_91 said:

I know that people think/assume I am gay, which I find unsettling as I am not. 

I think people don't know much about things other than being straight and being gay.

7 minutes ago, Polyglot_91 said:

I'm also in the process of wondering who I should tell, as it feels like a burden sometimes.

You don't necessarily need to tell anyone, not unless you want to. If you need to talk, feel free to PM me!

11 minutes ago, Polyglot_91 said:

I'd also like to know how others tell their employers about being asexual? I am a teacher and I am not sure how that should be addressed. 

I'm not sure you need to.

• Like 1
Anomaly Q3Xr

I never really knew about asexuality until about 4 - 5 years ago, but have never had interest in sex, I thought I was just wired wrong, but now I know I am not alone in that.  I identified as gay for a while (I have had boyfriends and girlfriends), but I have never engaged in sexual intercourse, and have come to the conclusion I am panromantic, as I am interested in a relationship with someone regardless of gender.  It was a struggle when I was younger, but I am comfortable now with who I am.

There is no reason you must tell anyone, that is entirely down to you, and what you feel comfortable with.  There is plenty of support on this site, whether you choose to tell anyone in your personal life or not.  Just remember you are not alone.

I have had a number of jobs, and several have asked my sexuality on the application forms.  I usually decline to answer, but asexual was never an option on them.

• Like 1

I just found out that I was asexual fo r about 12 years and didnt know it untill about a week ago.. When I found out I had a sudden great relief. Because for a long time I felt like an outcast.. an Alien even. Becuase my friends would make sexual remarks and I wouldnt share their "lusts" When I found out about Asexuality I felt like I had found a long lost home.. I was no longer the only guy on the planet who thought this way. The first people I really told about my Aexuality was at work.. Both of my Bosses heard my story.. Fellow employees heard and the members of our center heard.. One guy said "It's probably because of your medications.. thats why you feel this way." But I spoke with my Doctor just hours before I went to work and told her how I discovered Asexuality and she didnt say that any of my Meds would cause this so I'm in the clear with that.. Then I had a guy said "This is a subject we shouldnt be discussing here at all." I was like doood My Bosses are standing right there and they arent having a problem with it.

I'm now facing breaking the news to my Family. I plan on doing it this sunday.

When I discovered Asexuality I really sat and thought about it.. I learned all the terms and defined myself.. Heteroromantic asexual.. But I did think about Being Biromantic because it could be a romantic relationship with a guy but there would be no sex so I thought I might be open to that.. But after a couple of days thinking I thought nope.. I cant find myself cuddling on the couch with a guy. So I'm sure some questions will pop up.

• Like 2