What makes you feel better when you're feeling sad?

erf

Talking to my best friend usually does the trick. When I used to have a pet, just playing with her or petting her usually made me feel so much better. Or calling my mom or brother, who happen to be really good at pep talks luckily for me! Also for me just escaping into a book or TV show makes me feel a lot better usually. 

I listen to music or write down my feelings.

Sometimes I read.

Sometimes I take a walk.

I just do anything that can take my mind of whatever was making me feel down.

Just... being with people. My family, my friends, my pets, just as long as I'm not alone I'll slowly get over what's upsetting me. They don't even have to be actively trying to cheer me up, just as long as they're there. 

Talking to my partner and my bestie and/or blasting music at volumes I'll regret later in life

Like other folks here, it depends on what kind of sad. If it's the kind of sad that can be cheered up then watching clips from the Graham Norton show on youtube has me giggling every time. I'm learning not to underestimate the power of comedy. Writing things helps to stop things from getting overwhelming. Cute pictures and videos of dogs and cats always make me smile. And as someone else said, sometimes I just need to have a good old heart-wrenching cry to get it out my system, then I start to lift a bit.

Félinferno

Cuddling my cats, listening to music, reading stories or writing, watching something (generally YouTube or Netflix). Sometimes I will draw as well, but usually I don't because it makes me even more depressed (due to my low confidence with my art).

Just now, YamiCake said:

Drawing, listening to music, playing a game or talking to a friend/my sister.

Pretty much this and some additions: A (goofy) TV show, my guitar, violin or do something on my computer other than drawing/chatting/gaming.

Yeah, it depends on the "kind of sad"... But usually: journalling, taking a nap, praying, reading AVEN :), and/or watching ASMR videos helps me deal with it.

Blasting very loud high tempo/fast paced/aggressive music usually helps me get out of it eventually. Depending on how lethargic I feel, I'll sometimes get out and just run and run for as long as I can, until I'm utterly exhausted. I usually treat my sadness and my anger the same way, I don't know why I do that but it works so I'm at peace with it.

I just withdraw and get real quiet. I ride it out.

The last time I felt really sad was when my son was in the hospital with an epidural hematoma after getting hit by a car.

He had gotten so drunk that when he exited the sushi bar he wandered off the curb and a car plowed right into him, with his head breaking the windshield of the car.

NerotheReaper

Depends on what happened:

-I cuddle my cat

-Watch certain Youtubers to cheer me up

-Listen to music

-Talk to someone I trust

-Writing 

Going for a run or playing with a pet. Or playing some music, either yourself with an instrument or just listening to some. 

Bicycling

If it's something I want to talk about, I'll call my mom or my sister.

If I want to have a good cry, I'll curl up on the couch with my dog and watch Doomsday or The End of Time. Because they make me cry, but also laugh, and kind of put things in perspective but still get a good cry in.

Then I'll take my dog for a nice long walk with my earbuds in and a good playlist.

Being with people I love is also very nice, especially if it's something I'm sad about but can't do anything about. If I don't want to just be dwelling on it, I'll try to surround myself with family and friends.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Lotta_Biscotti

Depends on if I have to go in to work. If I'm working, I'll try to pack myself a really nice lunch in a bento box, or stop and get something nice for myself somewhere on the way in or on the way home. Basically lunch though. I'll also take time to zone out while making sure (unless it's hot out) to wrap my hands around a warm cup of coffee or tea.

If I'm off, the music goes on, food is had, and I roll up in my blankets on my bed for an hour or two and just exist as a blanket caterpillar in a soft roll of satin fluff. Then, talking with friends online if possible. When in doubt, friends or Friends.

- Baking cookies. I have a 3 ingredient recipe for peanut butter cookies that's quick and easy, they're tasty and everyone thanks me for making them. Validation when I'm feeling down is really great, and tasty cookies aren't bad either.

- Maybe ask my wife or a friend out to eat at a restaurant I like. I don't get out much so it feels good to do so. Plus, good food makes me happy. I usually get a chance to either talk about what's wrong or help my friend with a problen, both make me feel good in different ways.

- Reading comics. It's easy to find light-hearted, funny and cute comics online or in print and that's just the sort of mood I like to promote when I'm down. My concentration is often shot when I'm depressed, making books and even video games hard to do, but comics are very low-commitment. Along the same lines, watch cartoons.

- "Complain," aka, talk it or write it out. Putting how and why I feel into words can at least help me get the cries out and calm down. It also helps me identify ways to avoid repeating whatever made me feel bad.

- If all else fails, do simple chores. If I'm gonna feel bad, I might as well be productive. I inevitably feel better when I accomplish something that needs to be done and often get thanks (if I point out I did it).

- Talk to my doctor. If it lasts a long time, I may need to adjust my medicine. I've needed to do this every few years (I'm bipolar).

Elftober Country

Generally, sleep is my go-to thing, it makes everything go away for a while. If sleep isn't an option I go for anything that helps take my mind off things, like go for a bike ride or play guitar. 

I also like to take a drive to the coast and look at the sea, there's something very calming about that. 

A good cry will usually sort me out as well :o

6 hours ago, Antihero. said:

barney_stinson_quote__by_ersandevelier-d

XD

Archived