Lord Jade Cross

I used to have a co-worker, who was insanely negative.

Always bashed superiors. He was right most of the time, but was so angry at the incompetence of the bosses, it made him bitter. He had been treated poorly in all jobs he had been in, and you likely guessed it--fired, and berated, for going against the grain.

I had never seen an employee try so hard, to make a boss look like an idiot in front of his staff. Our manager as a result, was very abusive towards him.

I often made suggestions as well, and my approach got a: "Yeah, that's a good idea", or at times stuck to their game plan, but I still made sure to voice my concerns when there were any. I understood the power dynamics in the workplace. I approached knowing my place, but also knowing something needed to be said.

My colleague would rant in front of the manager, about how idiotic what he had done, was. However, if he ever made a mistake, would blame others. My manager would rub his face in it, and they'd often get into shouting matches.

You know: "You should've fucking measured. Who doesn't measure prior to ordering custom products?!" "Had you measured, you would've known there was a beam right there in the wall" "Typical manager shit. Thinks they know everything, and don't know fuck all".

You know, vs "It happens to the best of us! I would ask for a meeting, and get them to sign off drawings, prior to putting things into production, in future business you do with them. It protects you, down the road. So frustrating when this happens.".

The message is the same, but the manager only listened to one of us, in their future dealings. I was also in disbelief at their mistake, but don't see the purpose in making them feel stupid about it. I'd rather give them wisdom, and a moral boost, in terms of being a good teammate. You're right, though. My way is stroking their ego. I'm fine with stroking an ego, if it doubles my salary and I can still have my morals.

Also, I was promoted, and that employee was terminated.

binary suns

everything in moderation imo. people think contradictory things can't coexist... but there are so many signs as to why it's so obvious that they just do coexist.... 

identity is formed by negotiating individual mentality with pack mentality and updating your conceptions over time. no matter what this identity is - and no i'm not talking only about sexuality and etc I'm talking about jobs, words, ideas. you can even think of matter as identity but I'm not speaking to that realm in this post. 

when you are a baby you have no mentality, beyond cry when uncomfortable cling to what you touch put things in your mouth and babble. but today we are so much more. this development is a constant negotiation of what we identify for our own sake, with what we believe we observe others to identify. comparing the differences and similarities, and updating our own whenever we feel makes sense. we also try sometimes to convince others to update their identity of some kind or other, but we can't force that. 

Look, I want to make things clear. I have nothing against you. I agree with your initial post.

I've just seen your approach, get people nothing but abuse in the workplace. You mean well, which is noble of you, but your approach will get you shitted on, in the corporate world. Nobody will stick up for you. So if a manager wants to play the card of "he just keeps talking over me/is insubordinate", there's nothing you can do about it. Nobody will vouch for you. I've seen this many times over, where people eventually get fired over bullshit, via unjust dismissal. That, or even worse (in my opinion). Stuck in entry level positions, 10 years later, when I work there a year, and already get 3 raises, and a promotion.

I've actually tried your approach once. It got me treated like shit, double shifted (no days off for weeks on end, in a passive attempt to burn me out), and I was pressured to quit, which I did. So, in the end, the manager won. They broke me, enough for me to give up, and broke my spirits. On the basis of: "you don't go against me". Sure, I had my pride and morals intact, but was forced to scramble for a job.

I'm thankful for that experience, however. It got me furious. It sparked something in me, that made me go to college with a chip on my shoulder. I was tops in all my classes, as a result, and its one of several experiences I use, to spark that fire inside of me, whenever I need it. In a sense, I did something about it, in a big way. I was done with menial jobs, and was going to start chasing careers here I have a lot more pull in.

I have zero tolerance for bullshit, just like you do.

I remember vouching for an employee like that, who I felt was outspoken, but treated unfairly, but then got that very employee throwing me under the bus!

People in workplaces are like a pack of famished wolves. They'll eat their own, if they have to.

I treat others like I'd like to be treated, so you're correct.

However, you meet me with poor treatment, and I'll take the higher road. I refuse to stoop to a lower level. Also, if I find the work dynamics suck--I'll start looking for another job, and line one up.

I refuse to work for bullies. Possibly why I'm still a happy go lucky person. My low tolerance for bullshit, will make me make drastic and bold life moves, to remove the BS from my life.

When you seek an employer, seek one with an open door policy, that values their employees. Will save you years of frustration.

Archived