• Announcements

• Kisa the Cat

World Watch Archiving Project

Hello everyone, Please read this thread before posting to World Watch Thank you.
    • Kisa the Cat

Avenues May/June   05/09/17

Hello AVENites! The newest edition of AVENues is now ready! Our theme this time was "ace connections".  May/June
G0D

Is there any point in Hot Box any more?

238 posts in this topic

What is the point in having a space for heated discussion when one can get a "nudge" for talking about the left, and in this manner?

I think I will just post the Nudge, and you can all see how low the bar is not set people... And people wonder why I went off and made a new site where you can debate without this happening. I mean who reported me? Lol...

Here you go, now remember you cant have opinions any more about any group that anyone might be a part of, so saying "people are stupid" will get you a nudge" even if it is just directed at no one:

===============================================================

G0D,

The following post you made in Laci Green is getting heat and even doxed for dating an anti SJW has come to my attention:

This statement deserves more than just a like... The whole "listen and believe thing is scary... It happens all over the place, and it's not just about rape. Some people get away with using their position as a woman as a way to attack a man they just don't like, and cause things to happen in order to drag them threw the mud, and the burden of proof seems to be always on the man. 

And men who report predatory, behaviour from women are just not believed. It is so easy just to discredit a man, and so easy to gather round a woman and just take their side without looking for the truth. 

As for Lacey... I am not sure what is going on there, though I can see what is going on with her is having a positive effect on her, and also an effect on some of the people on the "right". I think the most interesting story involving her was the "heart to heart" she had with Sargon at vidcon. I think they both learned something about taking responsibility for their actions, and I think she appears to have been very brave in her journey of discovery.

I am cynical about the whole story, I don't know how many of her opinions she had for money, or how her change of opinion may be in pursuit of staying relevant.  Who knows... I just hope that maybe people on both sides are influenced by the story. 

As for her being doxed and the rest.... What do you expect of the far left... This is their tactics, this is the way they deal with things. Arguments, and logic have never really featured in the left wing handbook... It has always been a case of "I will force you to be tolerant", "and if you are not, then I will destroy you". Those that try and force tolerance just can't seem to see how utterly hypocritical that stance is.. Intolerance of their version of tolerance is par for the course, and there is no room for compromise or understanding. 

All I can really say is "good luck to both of them", and lets hope that this might just be a small sign that the masses are growing up a bit, and realising that everyone holds opinions for a reason, and rather than shooting down people for their opinions, it is perhaps worth addressing on what foundations those opinions are held, and answering that question with a bit more of a nuanced answer than "They are nazis".

I made bold the parts that generalize the left, please remember that we have people who identify as part of the left who may or may not fit into the generalization you made and for those that don't this comment would be highly insulting. In light of this we ask that you be more careful about generalization in the future.

===================================================

8 people like this

Where does it say that this is a "nudge"? That's purely a technical question.

Personally, I'm done with this sandbox level left v right bullcrap. It doesn't even matter whether I agree with the message (both yours and the one of the mod). Discussions should evolve around facts and solutions, not where these facts and solutions come from.

11 people like this

Sorry... The tittle of the message is "Nudge". 

2 people like this

Well.. I am not really someone who bangs on about the "right" or the "left". It was just part of a conversation, and I even say "far left". Are people advocating "punching" Nazis going to be banned for advocating violence towards AVEN members, as it is conceivable that someone on AVEN might identify as a NAZI? 

2 people like this

Hmmmm Well being experienced in the backroom I can tell you nudges mean a lot less to admods, than you probably would think. I don't know how the conversation in the backroom actually went, but it could be that post was reported and the admods didn't feel it deserved a warning, but wanted to acknowledge what could be seen as an issue when relating it to the ToS and that it did bother someone.  I think if you had received a warning for it, that would be more of an issue. 

4 people like this

What are people getting nudges or anything for expressing opinions on politics in Hot Box? I don't give a monkeys about back room stuff. 

5 people like this

1 minute ago, G0D said:

What are people getting nudges or anything for expressing opinions on politics in Hot Box? I don't give a monkeys about back room stuff. 

You create a thread about getting a nudge, I tell you what a nudge is like from the point of view of an admod and you don't care about it? That's a bit confusing to me. 

2 people like this

If a person generalizes any group, it may easily lead to action. If the same thing was said about the right it would get the same action. If one finds they get a lot of nudges/warns for generalizing the left, it might just be that they aren't generalizing any other group.

It's not the opinion that is the problem, it is the generalization. Try saying "some of the left...." or "many on the left..." and you can avoid such nudges :)

1 person likes this

10 minutes ago, ♣Ryan♣ said:

Hmmmm Well being experienced in the backroom I can tell you nudges mean a lot less to admods, than you probably would think. I don't know how the conversation in the backroom actually went, but it could be that post was reported and the admods didn't feel it deserved a warning, but wanted to acknowledge what could be seen as an issue when relating it to the ToS and that it did bother someone.  I think if you had received a warning for it, that would be more of an issue. 

i get what you mean.. but it's still a thing..
It's not really the same as a nudge i got that said "continue this behaviour and you'll get a warning" which was more or less soft censorship.

G0D's nudge is just picky and uncalled for... i'm sure the mod could've easily went #notall in the thread and finished it there. not everything needs a nudge or a warning.

It's like getting pulled over by a police officer and instead of saying something like "one of your lights are broken" or "you were speeding" they just say "I see you were driving a red car, i don't like red cars....... you can go now... just be careful about driving red cars in the future"

1 minute ago, Puck said:

It's not the opinion that is the problem, it is the generalization. Try saying "some of the left...." or "many on the left..." and you can avoid such nudges :)

"far left" kinda doesn't generalise the whole left. Just the extremes. same with "far right"

4 people like this

yeah this site makes me so sad. 

3 people like this

Just now, AndyAce said:

"far left" kinda doesn't generalise the whole left. Just the extremes. same with "far right"

It's still generalizing a group. If someone said "far right" in the same way, they should be reported and should get the same nudge.

3 minutes ago, ♣Ryan♣ said:

You create a thread about getting a nudge, I tell you what a nudge is like from the point of view of an admod and you don't care about it? That's a bit confusing to me. 

I have created a thread about getting disciplinary action for something that happens here every day, and is so utterly benign, in a portion of the site that is dedicated to heated debates. It is the Users, US, that get these warnings.. Am I now supposed to report now every time someone says anything political?

1 person likes this

20 minutes ago, ♣Ryan♣ said:

the admods don't understand how ridiculously frightening power inherently makes everything they say. 

6 people like this

1 minute ago, Teagan1 said:

the admods don't understand how ridiculously frightening power inherently makes everything they say. 

makes everything they say... what?

... i think they should keep anything not serious in the thread. cus i take private messages from admods pretty seriously.

And you, being politically on the same area in the spectrum as most governments, don't understand how ridiculously frightening power inherently makes what you say to those of us on the far left ^_^ I know this is off topic, but I do want to point out your words are actually a reflection of a larger atmosphere which, to leftists more active than I am, is actually pretty scary.

1 person likes this

7 minutes ago, Teagan1 said:

If ever you are confused or upset, you can always reach out to an admod to learn how to improve and so forth. We honestly don't want to be scary, we just want to protect our community in the way we promised in the ToS :)

4 people like this

1 minute ago, Lonemathsytoothbrushthief said:

And you, being politically on the same area in the spectrum as most governments, don't understand how ridiculously frightening power inherently makes what you say to those of us on the far left ^_^ I know this is off topic, but I do want to point out your words are actually a reflection of a larger atmosphere which, to leftists more active than I am, is actually pretty scary.

I find anti-far scary... they are who I associate with the "Far Left". Damn.. Is that illegal to say here now?

1 minute ago, Puck said:

we just want to protect our community

By dishing our punishments all day long.

We Antifa folx are nothing to fear, as long as you aren't a fascist you're fine.

Violence against fascists is self-defense.

2 people like this

Just now, G0D said:

By dishing our punishments all day long.

I recognize you are feeling this way because of your recent nudge, but we actually don't like giving them out. It's just what we feel we have to do if something crossed a line.

I personally try my best to enter conversations with members (such as this one) as often as I can to try to help them avoid such actions. Honestly, if anyone sticks to the guidelines I suggest, they will find they are able to express most opinions without action :)

1 person likes this

6 minutes ago, G0D said:

I find anti-far scary... they are who I associate with the "Far Left". Damn.. Is that illegal to say here now?

Anti-fa =/= far left, anti-fa is a subset of the far left. Some of the anarchists who joined Kurdish fighters in the Free Syrian Army to fight against ISIS are also far left. Make of that what you will, but even the tactics of insurrectionary anarchists and stuff have to be agreed on by all members and last I read about it, people were saying the efforts should go elsewhere anyway. But I know what anti-fa's reputation is like and can't imagine people saying you can't say you don't like/are afraid of them.

Though @Retrobot is indeed a cool person 8)

2 people like this

1 minute ago, Retrobot said:

We Antifa folx are nothing to fear, as long as you aren't a fascist you're fine.

SCARY

antifa call a LOT of non-fascists fascists. violence is NEVER okay unless you are literally under threat in the moment.

3 people like this

Just now, Retrobot said:

See can you now give this person a nudge... They just condoned violence against fascists.. What about those that identify as a fascists?

I did not condone violence, I just pointed out that doxing was a tactic employer. 

3 people like this

1 minute ago, G0D said:

See can you now give this person a nudge... They just condoned violence against fascists.. What about those that identify as a fascists?

If you are concerned with anyone's posts you can report them or reach out to an admod in PM. However, no admod can respond to such a request in public.

2 people like this

2 minutes ago, AndyAce said:

SCARY

antifa call a LOT of non-fascists fascists. violence is NEVER okay unless you are literally under threat in the moment.

I don't. Ever.

Generalizations aren't beneficial, and literally every fascist I've come across was a threat at the time (as in literally threatening my life).

None the less I've never caused physical harm to anyone, it's a last resort I've never had to resort to. Not all Antifa members are the same.

2 people like this

We don't like giving nudges or warns, no one gets a kick out of it. 

If there is a post you believe admods should see reach out, PM or report the post.

Just now, Puck said:

If you are concerned with anyone's posts you can report them or reach out to an admod in PM. However, no admod can respond to such a request in public.

Yeah I know.. I reported it, like I will now be reporting every instance anyone says anything that generalises, and I encourage everyone else to do the same. 

What have we come to when talking about politics is basically forbidden in Hot Box? How can I say "The conservatives want to take away my disability benefits", when someone could identify as a conservative, and say "I dont", and I am offended, and I would get a warning for such.... Are none of you getting why this is silly... In Hot Box? I think I will just have to link anything I want to say over to as-ns.net in order to say it... Oh hang on.. If I did that, they you guys would call as-ns.net a hate site.. 

How about someone just say something sensible, and admit that this is just silly?

1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, Retrobot said:

I don't. Ever.

Generalizations aren't beneficial, and literally every fascist I've come across was a threat at the time (as in literally threatening my life).

None the less I've never caused physical harm to anyone, it's a last resort I've never had to resort to. Not all Antifa members are the same.

You sound like such a nice person. 

9 minutes ago, G0D said:

I did not condone violence, I just pointed out that doxing was a tactic employer. 

Fascism is an ideology that advocates regularly for violence against minorities. Thus identifying as a fascist is a violent act.

Every time I have been sent a threat it has been from a self-proclaimed "AnCap" or "NeoFascist", every time one of my friends has been doxxed it's the same deal.

3 minutes ago, G0D said:

You sound like such a nice person. 

Can't tell if that's sarcasm of not, tones over the web don't translate well. But I'll say thanks regardless.

5 minutes ago, G0D said:

Yeah I know.. I reported it

For future reference I'd be careful saying you've reported someone on the forums where others can see. Personally I don't care, it doesn't bother me but someone else might try to start a fight over it and that'd be quite a mess.

2 people like this

Just now, Retrobot said:

I don't. Ever.

look, now i've gone and made a generalisation.  >A<) am i gonna get a nudge now?? ahhh,

and Retrobot's made a generalisation.

1 minute ago, NerotheReaper said:

We don't like giving nudges or warns, no one gets a kick out of it.

generalisations everywhere.

(On a serious note, some Antifa are Fascists by definition. some Fascists are not Fascist by definition. Some Antifa are not Antifa by definition. But people still put labels on these things and the outcome is never perfect. Generalisations and identity politics are harmful as they don't allow individuals to be seen as individuals, but as collectives.

But on the contrary. There is also a very loud voice from every side. and you have to ask yourself sometimes, "am i part of that voice? or am i going to distance myself?" When someone says "far x" (referring to extremes) you have to understand that the extremes are usually the violent irrational types (I said usually not always, don't report me) and you have to ask yourself if you want to identify with that...

you also have to understand that people are going to hear a label, think of the prominent voices under that label, and make a decision on what kind of person you probably are. you can #notall until the cows come home, but the prominent voices are difficult to silence.

concerning the OP though. Isn't this something more for discussion than for discipline.... )