The Invisible Orientation: An Introduction to Asexuality

Member116379

Member116379

Has anybody read The Invisible Orientation: An Introduction to Asexuality by Julie Sondra Decker? I'm very interested in reading it, in the hope that it will help me get my own sexuality clearer in my head. I have looked in my local library and they don't have a copy, so I'll likely have to buy one and I don't want to do so if it's not worth it

The author of that book has a YouTube channel with a couple of series on asexuality on it. She's done tons and tons of videos, so I don't think you'll find anything in her book that she hasn't said in one of her videos. 

https://www.youtube.com/user/swankivy

It is a clear, straightforward, accessible introduction for the layperson, which reads like a collection of informational materials that you might get from an LGBTQ resource centre. I don't think it would be that interesting for someone who already has a relevant knowledge base. In that case, Anthony Bogaert's Understanding Asexuality would be the better read.

Hermit Advocate

It was a good read, but it didn't tell me anything that I couldn't find here on AVEN. Still glad I read it though. 

Divide By Zero

I would recommend buying the book, along with Anthony Bogaert's book. Most, if not all, the information in the books you can find on AVEN and other places, as people have mentioned here. However, one nice thing about having the books is that you may want to let family or friends borrow them as a resource if they have questions about asexuality.

Guest Deus Ex Infinity
On 17.7.2017 at 0:08 PM, k_pixel said:

Has anybody read The Invisible Orientation: An Introduction to Asexuality by Julie Sondra Decker? I'm very interested in reading it, in the hope that it will help me get my own sexuality clearer in my head. I have looked in my local library and they don't have a copy, so I'll likely have to buy one and I don't want to do so if it's not worth it

Yes I did and found it very useful and supportive! Both for yourself or anyone else who might want to gather a deeper understanding on what asexuality is really all about! I would highly reecommened it!

I read it and I think it's great it really goes into what asexuality is and what it can be and looks at some myths as well as acephobia.

Archived