Join my Duolingo club! (7XZRNF)

Yatogami

I started an American Language League (Because there is a startling lack of American based clubs on Duolingo)

Feel free to join my club, no matter what language you are currently learning. The club code is 7XZRNF. I was hoping to build a somewhat competitive league, where we compete for the highest exp spot each day. We have 3 people so far, and all of them are from AVEN. Competition is a great motivator, and the Duolingo app makes it easy to keep track of what is going on in the club. 

My name in the Club is also Yato (duolingo.com/yato568643). Feel free to add me as a friend as well. 

6 minutes ago, Ms. Maya the Bee said:

A club for learning the American language?

No, it just means you are American. But anyone can join. So far we have two Japanese and one other one (I can't recall what they are learning). Clubs are not limited to any one language. 

TheCatBehind

When I joined I didn't realise it was an American-based~ club and it made me chuckle cause I'm from Poland and it still cracks me up xd

3 minutes ago, Maks9090 said:

When I joined I didn't realise it was an American-based~ club and it made me chuckle cause I'm from Poland and it still cracks me up xd

ITs for anyone really, anyone that can speak English xD Don't feel alienated by the name. I can change it if you want me to. Got any good ideas?

Language learning club might work. 

NerotheReaper

I would like to be part of it, but I am terrible with foreign languages. So I will cheer you all on from the side :) 

TheCatBehind
8 minutes ago, Yato God of Tofu said:

ITs for anyone really, anyone that can speak English xD Don't feel alienated by the name. I can change it if you want me to. Got any good ideas?

Language learning club might work. 

I don't have a problem with the name, heck, it makes me laugh a little every time I see it xd 

And I don't have any cool name ideas :( 

Ooh, I'm using Duo to learn Italian at the moment.

What do the groups actually do? Like...what are they (Quali sono?)

TheCatBehind
6 minutes ago, Verbosoul said:

Ooh, I'm using Duo to learn Italian at the moment.

What do the groups actually do? Like...what are they (Quali sono?)

(Fyi you asked /which/ are they)

They are that shield icon at the bottom of the screen, joining one just puts you on the local leaderboard and you can compete with your group/guild-mates! :3

TheCatBehind

Since everyone is saying what they are learning...

I'm actively learining/"learining":

• Japanese

• Polish

• Italian

• French

What I started and abandoned, but may get back around to learning again:

• German

• Spanish

I'm abusing the app, some may say lol :3

Just now, Maks9090 said:

(Fyi you asked /which/ are they)

They are that shield icon at the bottom of the screen, joining one just puts you on the local leaderboard and you can compete with your group/guild-mates! :3

Yeahh I need to sort out translations. I do the translation in my head, then I run it back through google translate to compare it. Unfortunately I went with google's answer in this case :P My gut instinct was "Cosa sono loro?" but that still doesn't feel right.

6 months down the line and I can't string together a simple query XD Grazie, though!

TheCatBehind
1 minute ago, Verbosoul said:

Yeahh I need to sort out translations. I do the translation in my head, then I run it back through google translate to compare it. Unfortunately I went with google's answer in this case :P My gut instinct was "Cosa sono loro?" but that still doesn't feel right.

6 months down the line and I can't string together a simple query XD Grazie, though!

Learining a new language is always a pain haha, so no worries there

(now if I can be annoying and help you lol:

"What are they?" I would translate as simply, "Cosa sono?"

But!

If you were to translate "...but what are they?!" I would then translate it as, "Ma loro cosa sono?!"

Thats what my never-academic knowledge of Italian would come up with anyway...

Again! Sorry if I'm annoying!)

3 minutes ago, Maks9090 said:

Learining a new language is always a pain haha, so no worries there

(now if I can be annoying and help you lol:

"What are they?" I would translate as simply, "Cosa sono?"

But!

If you were to translate "...but what are they?!" I would then translate it as, "Ma loro cosa sono?!"

Thats what my never-academic knowledge of Italian would come up with anyway...

Again! Sorry if I'm annoying!)

No that's good, I wasn't too far off then :D I guess I wanted to add "loro" to differentiate from the question "What am I?", which would also be "cosa sono?"

I'm wary of not wanting to turn this topic into Italian 101 though. So what do the groups do? Is it just comparing exp rates?

TheCatBehind
4 minutes ago, Verbosoul said:

No that's good, I wasn't too far off then :D I guess I wanted to add "loro" to differentiate from the question "What am I?", which would also be "cosa sono?"

I'm wary of not wanting to turn this topic into Italian 101 though. So what do the groups do? Is it just comparing exp rates?

Yep, you can compete with other people through your exp gain. Doesn't matter how advanced the stuff you learn is! It's a weekly competition and the best person gets a crown or something lol

(I made the last part up, but I can imagine it happening lol)

WaffleGrace

It said I had to be learning Japanese to join. But since Japanese is on my 'to learn' list, I just signed up for it and then tried again. But I mostly use Duo to keep up with my Spanish, and learn French and German right now. I'm trying not to get them all confused :) 

ItWasNiceKnowingYou

@Maks9090 i abandoned Spanish & German too :lol: don't know why i couldn't get into them like i wanted to. Didn't hold my attention for long.... But i should get back into it maybe? Give it another try?

@Yato God of Tofu so you have to be learning Japanese to join?

1 minute ago, SimplyAce said:

@Maks9090 i abandoned Spanish & German too :lol: don't know why i couldn't get into them like i wanted to. Didn't hold my attention for long.... But i should get back into it maybe? Give it another try?

@Yato God of Tofu so you have to be learning Japanese to join?

I am not sure, I think you just have to be learning any language to join the club. If you want to test it out, feel free to check if it works for any language. 

Yeah I went to join earlier but I'm not up to adding Japanese to my repertoire just yet :P

EDIT: For clarification, yes, it does stipulate you need to be learning Japanese.

ItWasNiceKnowingYou
1 minute ago, Yato God of Tofu said:

Aww, well you can sign up for hte course and not do it! :P 

.... True but i wouldn't be contributing any 👻

1 minute ago, SimplyAce said:

.... True but i wouldn't be contributing any 👻

Its ok, you can ghost the club and press automated support messages xD

ItWasNiceKnowingYou
3 minutes ago, Yato God of Tofu said:

Its ok, you can ghost the club and press automated support messages xD

HAHAHAHA that's true too.... But I've also heard about memrise too. And then i would have to download both apps.... And then go on both

.... And it's soooo much work

3 minutes ago, SimplyAce said:

HAHAHAHA that's true too.... But I've also heard about memrise too. And then i would have to download both apps.... And then go on both

.... And it's soooo much work

I use memrise too, but that doesnt really have an interactive club or anything. :(

ItWasNiceKnowingYou
14 minutes ago, Yato God of Tofu said:

I use memrise too, but that doesnt really have an interactive club or anything. :(

True.... Really it's just hard for me to do online learning. I become decreasingly motivated very easily.

6 minutes ago, SimplyAce said:

True.... Really it's just hard for me to do online learning. I become decreasingly motivated very easily.

I totally get it, but that is why discipline is important. Duolingo is far more easy than memrise and you can do just 5 min a day. Like on your lunch break or sommat. 

Archived