Adult Relationships (including Ace Relationships) Infographic

Uhhhh

It looks ok.

However, I would bring Child up a notch and have hold hands/cuddle overlap with them. Depending on the age of the child. Cuddling children under 9 or so is fairly common in families and something that I as a child would have been comfortable with or as a parent in the future. 

GRexCarolinii

from a person cosindering the data's standpoint

at first seems ok... but when I think about it... doesn't make a lot of sense
namely the thing that stands out is how QPR and Asexual relationships are together
they don't need to be
but also.. why they are so far below long term partner or spouse in terms of commitment?
I get how.. marriage could be considered a commitment
but... not always; and not necessarily more so than other types

Basically once you start picking it apart like that.. it would appear that relationships are far, far too nuanced and complex to fit
A child isn't necesarily a commitment, and chages over time
best friends are often more committed
FWB could be entirely committed; or depending how you define intimacy, more intimate?

I can kinda see the generalisations... but I guess I'd disagree with a lot?
but then I think everyone would
what would be cool was if you had data to back it up?
and then could say "based on asking x number of people, here are the averages"

Now.. from a data-viz point of view
the chart is a little too.. busy? Shiny?
Basically: needs a higher data-ink ratio

so things like.. simplify the bubbles (solid colour, or just coloured outline), get rid of the grid lines behind (as much as I like the labels, they make it feel cluttered)
you could probably remove some of the bubbles too, or blend e.g. Parent/Child
basically just minimising anything that isn't data, and data alone

(you can tell I did a data viz course recently, and it was amazing)

As a side note... I do still think it is interesting, and definitely feels like a conversation starter :)
don't want any of the above to be discouraging
What would be cool actually... is getting different people to fill this out
Like I feel it could have a place as some sort of... comparative thing people could use
the same as people use love langauges, personality types, etc. to see how friends and potential partners express love
in fact can see great use for that; because if you and partner drew this up.. you could see almost what's expected between different relationships etc. 

7 hours ago, Giganotosaurs said:

from a person cosindering the data's standpoint

at first seems ok... but when I think about it... doesn't make a lot of sense
namely the thing that stands out is how QPR and Asexual relationships are together
they don't need to be
but also.. why they are so far below long term partner or spouse in terms of commitment?
I get how.. marriage could be considered a commitment
but... not always; and not necessarily more so than other types

Basically once you start picking it apart like that.. it would appear that relationships are far, far too nuanced and complex to fit
A child isn't necesarily a commitment, and chages over time
best friends are often more committed
FWB could be entirely committed; or depending how you define intimacy, more intimate?

I can kinda see the generalisations... but I guess I'd disagree with a lot?
but then I think everyone would
what would be cool was if you had data to back it up?
and then could say "based on asking x number of people, here are the averages"

Now.. from a data-viz point of view
the chart is a little too.. busy? Shiny?
Basically: needs a higher data-ink ratio

so things like.. simplify the bubbles (solid colour, or just coloured outline), get rid of the grid lines behind (as much as I like the labels, they make it feel cluttered)
you could probably remove some of the bubbles too, or blend e.g. Parent/Child
basically just minimising anything that isn't data, and data alone

(you can tell I did a data viz course recently, and it was amazing)

As a side note... I do still think it is interesting, and definitely feels like a conversation starter :)
don't want any of the above to be discouraging
What would be cool actually... is getting different people to fill this out
Like I feel it could have a place as some sort of... comparative thing people could use
the same as people use love langauges, personality types, etc. to see how friends and potential partners express love
in fact can see great use for that; because if you and partner drew this up.. you could see almost what's expected between different relationships etc. 

Thank you so much for the constructive suggestions. Doing this based on data (vs. an abstract concept) would be amazing and I'd love to do such a project one day. Probably won't gather the courage to, though. It was strangely vulnerable and scary posting this, and getting negative responses for a first try was not easy or encouraging.

To answer some of your questions, when I did the quantifying in an excel sheet, the resulting chart had overlapping bubbles, e.g. when I classified QPRs with the same level of commitment as long-term partners, you couldn't see each of the bubbles. So a lot of my visualization is slightly inaccurate just for aesthetics' sake, although QPRs or long term relationships do tend to have less formality as marriages.

I also tried to classify things in terms of formality of commitment (you can see it on the Y axis) as opposed to just any kind of commitment, because obviously you can be committed to lots of people in lots of different ways. This had to do with formality, as in how you (or whether you) declare your exclusivity or intention.

Anyway. It didn't work. Thanks for being helpful and thanks for being friendly about it.

Archived