• Announcements

• Kisa the Cat

World Watch Archiving Project

Hello everyone, Please read this thread before posting to World Watch Thank you.
    • Kelly

New Moderators needed: Nominations   04/27/17

Join the team! We need two new Moderators. See:   http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/159067-new-moderator-needed-for-welcome-lounge-and-tea-and-sympathy-nominations/ http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/159068-new-moderator-member-needed-for-just-for-fun-and-the-alternate-language-forum-nominations/  
    • Kisa the Cat

Avenues May/June   05/09/17

Hello AVENites! The newest edition of AVENues is now ready! Our theme this time was "ace connections".  May/June
ChillaKilla

Trans Musings & Rantings

161 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Mezzo Forte said:

That said, pianists tend to pick up marimba/vibes faster than non-pianists. Only thing that's new is learning to use mallets instead of fingers.

Piano is a great first instrument to learn IMO :P you can pick up the scales so fast. I also owe my fast typing speed to my piano playing, come to think of it

5 people like this

Well, being socialized as a guy for 6 decades, plus being very shy and very introverted, and having been physically assaulted as a kid by other guys, has left me being very touch averse, especially if it's other guys touching me. So I rarely hug, although there are some people (mostly of the female persuasion) who I would love to hug more.

One interesting thing I noticed was at CD/TG events it seems like hugs are more freely given; because many of us AMAB people are presenting as female? Not to mention many who identify as female. Since it's a mix of CD and TG folks, mostly AMAB (although there are some FtM folks and people who mix it up as they go along).

4 people like this

4 hours ago, Emery. said:

Thanks a lot Mezzo. That clears up a lot. Piano/keyboard might be a good place to begin then. 

It took me a moment to figure out what you mean by working in the structures of theory unconsciously, but I think you're right and I have the feel for it, I tend to think in terms of structures first, no matter what I do. 

Uh, a continent apart.

Glad to help! 

You seem like someone who works well with logical structures, so I imagine that you'd appreciate music theory. It's actually great for learning to improvise on piano since you can Ingrain common chord progressions and play over them. (There's also even simpler improv via 12-bar blues too; Any note in the blues scale will sound good in that progression. Another simple form of improv is a "Black Key Jam" as my old teacher called it. If you only play the black keys of a piano, they make up the pitches of a pentatonic scale, so they all found like they fit together one way or another.)

Kind of figured we weren't near enough to jam... Well, unless you can amp up so loud that I could hear you from across the ocean, that is. :P 

5 people like this

Just to make sure, I'm in the "Trans Music & Rantings" thread, right? :lol: 

4 people like this

I will just say that I loved playing vibraphone in the marching band, and I recommend it.

Also, as someone whose only training in percussion was said marching band and with a low dex score, learning two mallet technique is pretty easy.

(And I'm otherwise a violinist with a chip on my shoulder about how many kids join band in school, may I recommend the violin? Slightly more of a learning curve, but quite fun.)

Edit - I hope so, @Mezzo Forte, I hope so (though wouldn't thoughts about music be musings by definition?)

4 people like this

2 hours ago, SkyWorld said:

So I went to the gym today for the first time and started working out. I feel great! My mom had told me that she could tell how I've been losing weight. Then she went to say how curvy I looked... now I don't mind having some curves, but I'd prefer if it was more subtle than so obviously feminine. Not only am I trying to lose weight, but also tone down my hips and theighs. Then my mom went on about how I don't want to have a figure with no curves. >_> I wish she'd just stop making me feel this way by emphasizing how feminine I should look and act.

Oh boy, I'm just venting here... a follow up on this. My mom went on about how men (and women) don't like flat chests and small hip girls. (groans internally) And she also went on about how apparently thinking binding is "cool". I told her I'm not doing it because I think it's cool. She responded how people don't find it attractive. I told her I didn't care what people think. And just... that was an awkward conversation ender...

Seriously, as a trans nonbinary greyromantic asexual, I literally and figuratively don't give a fuck on what people think about me. I'm not changing who I am for them.

Sigh... I just really wish she would stop. She doesn't like it, fine, I can't make her truly accept what is. I'd just wish she'd keep it to herself.

4 people like this

3 minutes ago, Vislor said:

I will just say that I loved playing vibraphone in the marching band, and I recommend it.

Also, as someone whose only training in percussion was said marching band and with a low dex score, learning two mallet technique is pretty easy.

(And I'm otherwise a violinist with a chip on my shoulder about how many kids join band in school, may I recommend the violin? Slightly more of a learning curve, but quite fun.)

Edit - I hope so, @Mezzo Forte, I hope so (though wouldn't thoughts about music be musings by definition?)

Where I grew up, my public schools didn't offer orchestra, so it was basically winds/percussion or go home. Closest things I do to playing string instruments are 1) play berimbau, which is a struck chordophone and 2) use violin/bass bows on concert percussion instruments. Bowing vibraphone is actually quite popular in modern music. :P 

Marching band was my introduction to the percussion world, so it's fun. Two mallets is definitely easier to explain than four, but never underestimate two-mallet works, whether it's an original composition or a Bach transcription. I played the Allegro from Bach's Violin Sonata no. 2 in A minor on marimba just last March, and the concentration you need to make it through the work with the repeats made my brain melt. :lol: (Plus, as a violinist, I imagine you're familiar with Porgy&Bess, since violins play the same lick as the xylophone. There's a reason it's on all the professional audition lists as an orchestral excerpt.)

Even though I have some reservations about how the vibraphone is treated in marching settings in particular, (especially from a pedagogical standpoint,) I still love that pit introduces so many people to percussion who wouldn't have otherwise tried it. 

Hmm, fitting that my favorite instrument (the marimba) places so much emphasis on transcriptions. :P 

4 people like this

37 minutes ago, Mezzo Forte said:

Kind of figured we weren't near enough to jam

*raises hand* :D Though I doubt I could keep up with you, Mister PhD Musician :P 

4 people like this

Just now, ChillaKilla said:

*raises hand* :D Though I doubt I could keep up with you, Mister PhD Musician :P 

That's Doctor PhD Musician to you! :lol:

(Though then again, I don't have my doctorate yet, so I guess you're not wrong?)

(In all likelihood, I'll probably get a DMA instead of a PhD, though I won't know for sure until I decide where to go for my doctoral studies.)

(Still looking forward to when I get to officially call myself "Doctor" though. :P)

4 people like this

And @ChillaKilla, a good musician makes playing together easier and makes everyone sound better, especially when you have a good drummer. Too bad I'm trash on drum set. :P 

3 people like this

I originally learned to play the flute. I loved it, and I was very good. But I got picked on so much. It's a girl's instrument after all. /s

Hard to learn, but really improved my breathing and music skills. I played the piano in high school and college. Let it lapse for a bit, but I'm picking it up again and doing a lot more composing.

9 people like this