Trans Musings & Rantings

ChillaKilla
3 minutes ago, Mezzo Forte said:

That said, pianists tend to pick up marimba/vibes faster than non-pianists. Only thing that's new is learning to use mallets instead of fingers.

Piano is a great first instrument to learn IMO :P you can pick up the scales so fast. I also owe my fast typing speed to my piano playing, come to think of it

• Like 5

Well, being socialized as a guy for 6 decades, plus being very shy and very introverted, and having been physically assaulted as a kid by other guys, has left me being very touch averse, especially if it's other guys touching me. So I rarely hug, although there are some people (mostly of the female persuasion) who I would love to hug more.

One interesting thing I noticed was at CD/TG events it seems like hugs are more freely given; because many of us AMAB people are presenting as female? Not to mention many who identify as female. Since it's a mix of CD and TG folks, mostly AMAB (although there are some FtM folks and people who mix it up as they go along).

• Like 5
Mezzo Forte
4 hours ago, Emery. said:

Thanks a lot Mezzo. That clears up a lot. Piano/keyboard might be a good place to begin then. 

It took me a moment to figure out what you mean by working in the structures of theory unconsciously, but I think you're right and I have the feel for it, I tend to think in terms of structures first, no matter what I do. 

Uh, a continent apart.

Glad to help! 

You seem like someone who works well with logical structures, so I imagine that you'd appreciate music theory. It's actually great for learning to improvise on piano since you can Ingrain common chord progressions and play over them. (There's also even simpler improv via 12-bar blues too; Any note in the blues scale will sound good in that progression. Another simple form of improv is a "Black Key Jam" as my old teacher called it. If you only play the black keys of a piano, they make up the pitches of a pentatonic scale, so they all found like they fit together one way or another.)

Kind of figured we weren't near enough to jam... Well, unless you can amp up so loud that I could hear you from across the ocean, that is. :P 

• Like 5
Mezzo Forte

Just to make sure, I'm in the "Trans Music & Rantings" thread, right? :lol: 

• Like 6

I will just say that I loved playing vibraphone in the marching band, and I recommend it.

Also, as someone whose only training in percussion was said marching band and with a low dex score, learning two mallet technique is pretty easy.

(And I'm otherwise a violinist with a chip on my shoulder about how many kids join band in school, may I recommend the violin? Slightly more of a learning curve, but quite fun.)

Edit - I hope so, @Mezzo Forte, I hope so (though wouldn't thoughts about music be musings by definition?)

• Like 4
2 hours ago, SkyWorld said:

So I went to the gym today for the first time and started working out. I feel great! My mom had told me that she could tell how I've been losing weight. Then she went to say how curvy I looked... now I don't mind having some curves, but I'd prefer if it was more subtle than so obviously feminine. Not only am I trying to lose weight, but also tone down my hips and theighs. Then my mom went on about how I don't want to have a figure with no curves. >_> I wish she'd just stop making me feel this way by emphasizing how feminine I should look and act.

Oh boy, I'm just venting here... a follow up on this. My mom went on about how men (and women) don't like flat chests and small hip girls. (groans internally) And she also went on about how apparently thinking binding is "cool". I told her I'm not doing it because I think it's cool. She responded how people don't find it attractive. I told her I didn't care what people think. And just... that was an awkward conversation ender...

Seriously, as a trans nonbinary greyromantic asexual, I literally and figuratively don't give a fuck on what people think about me. I'm not changing who I am for them.

Sigh... I just really wish she would stop. She doesn't like it, fine, I can't make her truly accept what is. I'd just wish she'd keep it to herself.

• Like 5
Mezzo Forte
3 minutes ago, Vislor said:

I will just say that I loved playing vibraphone in the marching band, and I recommend it.

Also, as someone whose only training in percussion was said marching band and with a low dex score, learning two mallet technique is pretty easy.

(And I'm otherwise a violinist with a chip on my shoulder about how many kids join band in school, may I recommend the violin? Slightly more of a learning curve, but quite fun.)

Edit - I hope so, @Mezzo Forte, I hope so (though wouldn't thoughts about music be musings by definition?)

Where I grew up, my public schools didn't offer orchestra, so it was basically winds/percussion or go home. Closest things I do to playing string instruments are 1) play berimbau, which is a struck chordophone and 2) use violin/bass bows on concert percussion instruments. Bowing vibraphone is actually quite popular in modern music. :P 

Marching band was my introduction to the percussion world, so it's fun. Two mallets is definitely easier to explain than four, but never underestimate two-mallet works, whether it's an original composition or a Bach transcription. I played the Allegro from Bach's Violin Sonata no. 2 in A minor on marimba just last March, and the concentration you need to make it through the work with the repeats made my brain melt. :lol: (Plus, as a violinist, I imagine you're familiar with Porgy&Bess, since violins play the same lick as the xylophone. There's a reason it's on all the professional audition lists as an orchestral excerpt.)

Even though I have some reservations about how the vibraphone is treated in marching settings in particular, (especially from a pedagogical standpoint,) I still love that pit introduces so many people to percussion who wouldn't have otherwise tried it. 

Hmm, fitting that my favorite instrument (the marimba) places so much emphasis on transcriptions. :P 

• Like 4
ChillaKilla
37 minutes ago, Mezzo Forte said:

Kind of figured we weren't near enough to jam

*raises hand* :D Though I doubt I could keep up with you, Mister PhD Musician :P 

• Like 4
Mezzo Forte
Just now, ChillaKilla said:

*raises hand* :D Though I doubt I could keep up with you, Mister PhD Musician :P 

That's Doctor PhD Musician to you! :lol:

(Though then again, I don't have my doctorate yet, so I guess you're not wrong?)

(In all likelihood, I'll probably get a DMA instead of a PhD, though I won't know for sure until I decide where to go for my doctoral studies.)

(Still looking forward to when I get to officially call myself "Doctor" though. :P)

• Like 5
Mezzo Forte

And @ChillaKilla, a good musician makes playing together easier and makes everyone sound better, especially when you have a good drummer. Too bad I'm trash on drum set. :P 

• Like 4
butterflydreams

I originally learned to play the flute. I loved it, and I was very good. But I got picked on so much. It's a girl's instrument after all. /s

Hard to learn, but really improved my breathing and music skills. I played the piano in high school and college. Let it lapse for a bit, but I'm picking it up again and doing a lot more composing.

• Like 10
nerdperson777
On 7/26/2017 at 10:52 AM, ChillaKilla said:

@nerdperson777 My SO is adopted from China, he's pre-everything but he has a slight mustache naturally. Unfortunately he's really dysphoric about his height, barely being over 5'. We could be the trifecta of transmasculine EA's :P 

[I don't log in for one day and there's so many posts.]

For the past week, I was thinking about being the three musket-T'ers with me, Mezzo, and you.  But I know there are other people on T on the forum so that wouldn't be accurate.  But that trifecta would be totally awesome.

On 7/26/2017 at 0:49 PM, Phoenix the II said:

Voice changes this quickly? I thought that it would take months.

Eh, it varies per person.

On 7/26/2017 at 5:10 PM, BionicPi said:

I'm almost certain I only gained some sense of gender due to my ace and aroness.

Well, I think there is some connection, like

being repulsed by the idea of being penetrated.  I don't want to be the one inserted into.  But I never thought that I wanted a penis so idk if I would feel mildly less repulsed if I did have one.

On 7/26/2017 at 7:59 PM, (D)anny said:

basically i think i'm trans because i don't like being told by my mom or anyone else to care about more girly things, i never liked my female parts since puberty started, i told my mom once i wanted to get my uterus someday, other things i'm too exhausted to list right now. I doubt myself a lot because I always think of myself as a girl, mostly because I'm used to being a girl and called a girl etc, I'd be a bit feminine for a guy (i'm really sensitive and have terrible anxiety and i'm emotional/have emotional problems and emotional 'trauma')and I didn't question my gender until some months ago, and I never thought of myself as a boy. I always thought I was a girl that was a bit different or something. I never wanted male parts or really thought about it until I really started thinking about it a while ago, so until that I thought I was asexual because I didn't like my private parts (this was a few years ago). I mislabeled myself as asexual because I thought,"Well I don't want sex because my girl parts make me uncomfortable, so I must be asexual."

I keep worrying I'm being delusional, or it's just from low self esteem. I keep going back and forth from,"Yep, I'm trans" to,"No, that's weird to think, I'm a girl. I'm just not girly enough or something." 

Well, that would be me also.  The first person I came out to was my cousin, and that was her reply.  I'm too feminine to be a guy.  I'm always scared of taking new paths so it took me a while to be not in denial about being trans.

You don't have to dislike your private parts to be asexual.  That's maybe more in the gender business.  I personally don't mind that I have a uterus, since I can't see it.  It's more like the bleeding is what I don't want.  I'd have huge dysphoria if I had large boobs, but since I'm small, I don't feel so bad.  So my body reminders aren't really that bad.

But don't feel bad about venting to us.  It's part of the process of discovery.

10 hours ago, Emery. said:

Bro fist is an alternative for the cool people :lol: Sometimes men do hug, I think. But that carries some extra friendliness. And not all hug. I think those that are dads are more prone to hug.

Actually once, my parents and I were over at an uncle's house and one cousin had to be there to see us leave.  He gave my dad a hug and when he got to me, he just had his fist out so brofist, okay sure.  Later my dad was kind of ranting about the hug or something because it wasn't manly enough?

9 hours ago, Mezzo Forte said:

Oh man, drunk guys do get entertainingly touchy. :lol: I will admit that I often do that quasi-macho hug w/ back pat, and did that long before I transitioned. Plus, some of the non-tactile greetings like the head nod are fun. :P

Drum talk

Hide contents

My sis had a way of not really sticking with instruments long-term, but found that ukulele clicked with her, especially because she could sing while playing. 

Another thought about performing arts is improv theatre. No prep work necessary, especially if you're just doing it for fun and don't feel pressured to be perfect. Local dances can also be super social, especially since a lot of popular dances are coupled dances, so those options are open to you too!

For some reason, with most songs, I can't sing and play at the same time.  If someone wants to talk to me, I have to answer really quick or I'll mess up.

Improv theatre is great.  I took a class on it during the summer.  I'm really stuck in my ways on planning things out to the very last detail, so this really just didn't let me do my tendencies.  I don't think I really had to prepare much of anything other than for one exercise where we had to change the lines of a scene to sound more natural to ourselves, as a way to remember the actual lines.  I think it's kind of a get the gist thing?

8 hours ago, Emery. said:

Ha ha, I break hands with my handshakes apparently :lol: 

(D)anny, see? Mezzo knows a lot of women who have more masculine personalities than him, and he's trans. There's a lot of choice.

I was an emotionless hugger when I was younger.  I hugged people for fun, but I guess that was to fill the void of what I didn't have.  I had a signature squeeze hug  One teacher told me that my hug left her sides aching for a whole summer.  Too much squeeze, oops.

7 hours ago, Mezzo Forte said:

Drums!

Hide contents

As far as formal training goes, the most common way percussionists learn is by picking up pitched percussion instruments like marimba/vibraphone/xylophone/glockenspiel. The things you talk about make me think that you might want formal music theory training in particular though. I think some people have an instinct for theory and can work within the structures of theory unconsciously, but for me, that definitely wasn't the case. Theory can be super liberating to learn as a musician because it can empower you to really understand how music works. You sound like you already have some instinct, but just need to guide it along with some formal training to figure out how to utilize it.

If you still have some piano chops, you can use that to your advantage because keyboard-based instruments are fantastic for visualizing how theory works. I feel like it's easier to envision theory on a marimba than on a clarinet at least. :P You don't even need to be a competent pianist to really take advantage of that; just knowing where the pitches are on the piano makes a difference.

Honestly, Introductory theory is all you need for most music, especially if you mostly play popular genres. (Romantic period music can get a little absurd with chromaticism, and a lot of 20th-century music often uses completely different theoretical systems. Doubt you'd need the basics of 12-tone theory for jamming with friends.) Just understanding the concept of chord functions and the basics of how chord progressions work makes a huge difference.

If you lived anywhere near me, I'd invite you to randomly jam together. I wish I got to just jam with people more often.

I think I can vouch for the music theory.  While I was rather forced to learn music like any other class, my cousins were told to learn just for fun.  I'm not sure if it's by coincidence that we had the same teacher, but she was new at the time so she did whatever the parents wanted.  So I got stuffed into those Certificate of Merit tests for years.  My cousins, in contrast, didn't learn theory until our teacher decided to quit and become a full time mom.  We were recommended to an older more experienced teacher who made them learn theory.  Don't know how much theory I remember right now though, since I took a CM test like 8 years ago.

2 hours ago, ChillaKilla said:

Piano is a great first instrument to learn IMO :P you can pick up the scales so fast. I also owe my fast typing speed to my piano playing, come to think of it

Before I stopped playing for months, I got strong fingers off piano.  Now they feel weak.  I used to hold so many things, like bags, with just one finger.  Now I can't.

2 hours ago, SkyWorld said:

Oh boy, I'm just venting here... a follow up on this. My mom went on about how men (and women) don't like flat chests and small hip girls. (groans internally) And she also went on about how apparently thinking binding is "cool". I told her I'm not doing it because I think it's cool. She responded how people don't find it attractive. I told her I didn't care what people think. And just... that was an awkward conversation ender...

Seriously, as a trans nonbinary greyromantic asexual, I literally and figuratively don't give a fuck on what people think about me. I'm not changing who I am for them.

Sigh... I just really wish she would stop. She doesn't like it, fine, I can't make her truly accept what is. I'd just wish she'd keep it to herself.

Earlier today I told my dad that I wanted to have mom's flat butt.  Then he went on about how round butts were better.  Yeah....no.

@Mezzo Forte On my way home earlier, Dancing Queen was on the radio so as one of my favorite songs, I had to sing.  I can't tell if my voice is changing pitches rapidly because I'm trying to vibrato or my voice is breaking, haha.  Or falsetto.  Welp, my voice is going all over now.  I wonder when my parents will find out.

• Like 4
Mezzo Forte

@nerdperson777, I don't do a ton of playing while singing, but often, it's a matter of making sure you learn both parts together rather than separate. Often slower than you'd like too. That said, for more improvisatory stuff like talking while playing (or singing a set melody to drum improv), there's a point when playing takes up so little of the conscious mind that you can talk over it. My professor used to actually engage me in conversation while I played to show me the goal of ingraining the basics of playing so the conscious mind can focus on other elements, like active listening or elements of expression. (While the drum improv I do while singing, The singing is really a-rhythmic, and I have some little phrases/motives that I just put together at random when I play the piece. Stops me from needing to reinvent the wheel every time I play, but still has the spontaneity of improv.

In regards to your singing, you will definitely lose your range on top faster than you gain your range on the bottom. At least until the big crack anyways. To my knowledge, falsetto comes after the big crack. I didn't try singing as early into HRT as you have, so I wouldn't know how it felt for me when I was at that same point. I think at 3 months, I could feel that I lost a ton off the top, but was at such an awkward range that there weren't a lot of songs I could sing.

You would be surprised the variance in others' observation skills. Some people had no clue I was transitioning even when my voice was cracking. A lot of people asked me if I was sick because of how my voice sounded too. Heck, I know at least one person who still doesn't seem to understand that I transitioned. :lol: On the other side though, one friend knew from the moment he saw my haircut. He and his wife were even trying to guess what my chosen name would be. 

• Like 2
18 hours ago, (D)anny said:

I don't know what t do on the pats thing. spoiler for TW i guess

Reveal hidden contents

I'm terrified of surgery and I'm stubborn, so unless surgery could give me a cis-male penis, I wouldn't accept anything less.

i should stop overthinking this gender stuff, i agree, and just be myself, I keep pressuring myself into things that are completely my choice (transition,pronouns,etc). I'm  not accepting that i could non-binary either (not that i am, just not accepting that as a possibility).

I've been there myself, for many years. And I stopped thinking about it for years too but now I'm at a point where I just can't *ignore* it anymore and I'm happy with it. So I'm pretty sure you'll get there some day, too - and even if you don't it doesn't matter. Just accept who you are, if you don't have a word for it, doesn't matter, if you don't want to change because of it, doesn't matter. Things will get better.

• Like 5
nerdperson777

@Mezzo Forte Well it's not like I have any professional training for singing. I just get bored sometimes. I don't want to lose my voice and some group said that practicing and having a honey drink, just like if one has a cold, would help. I think I may even have had falsetto even before T because I got used to talking low too much. 

I used to think my parents knew everything but I think I can keep them fooled for a while. I'm still having arguments with them in my higher voice out of habit. 

• Like 3

I know people tend to think people are really different because of their gender, when honestly I want to be seen as me no matter what gender I am. like,"Oh, she's/he's.they're (a) <gender>, we can't talk about this thing; you're (a) <gender>, you wouldn't be interested; You're the only (gender) here."

• Like 5

Tell me, how do you not care about others? Ugh.

P.S. I never did or saw improv theatre anywhere...

Mezzo Forte
18 hours ago, nerdperson777 said:

@Mezzo Forte Well it's not like I have any professional training for singing. I just get bored sometimes. I don't want to lose my voice and some group said that practicing and having a honey drink, just like if one has a cold, would help. I think I may even have had falsetto even before T because I got used to talking low too much. 

I used to think my parents knew everything but I think I can keep them fooled for a while. I'm still having arguments with them in my higher voice out of habit. 

Even with professional ear training, I wouldn't say I have any professional training for singing either. (In fact, I was awful at sightsinging.) The effects of T can somewhat irritate the throat in the early stages, (I know mine felt a bit rough when my voice started cracking,) so the honey is a good thing to keep up with.

I'm not sure if someone can necessarily have a falsetto pre-T (unless your T levels were high enough to already have a vocal break), but the voice does have multiple registers, and it's possible that your head voice is so rarely used that jumping into that register feels like hitting falsetto. There is somewhat of a break between two parts of the voice, kind of like how the clarinet has a break between Bb and C.

I personally have trouble accessing my falsetto sometimes because I think too much and often tense my voice to the point that I can't make the break.

@Emery., most the Improv theatre I've seen are comedy groups who perform at universities. Don't know if that's more of a thing where I'm from or not, but perhaps look around for improv comedy in particular.

(Otherwise, there's lots of fun improv games you can organize with a few friends. I remember in high school that we had a day where we played games together, and one of them involved improv. A few people had to create an improvised scene, then someone at random would yell "freeze!" Everyone stops in place, and the person who yells it gets up and switches places with someone of their choosing. They then create a new scene based on the frozen pose they were in. It's fun to watch :P)

• Like 5
ChillaKilla

Going to the mall in my suburban upper-middle class city today with a bunch of trans friends :) Look out, conservative WASP moms, because it's about to get fabulous up in here! :D 

• Like 12
Lonemathsytoothbrushthief

@ChillaKilla That sounds epic, they'd better watch out! :P

The clothes I ordered from River Island came early and I'm bemused by the better quality of "men's" tops compared to "women's". Also extremely happy that they fit properly, when I unpacked them I was worried they were going to be massive, but really it's just that "women's" tops are always cut to be stupidly short around the waist for people like me. Anyway, this is comfy :D yes my rant is basically just random stuff about clothes shopping. So sue me, clothes shopping is relaxing when the only other thing that's particularly pressing to me is my dissertation. Also I should probably get back into music stuff :( but that's unrelated-unless I'm going to complain about the number of dresses which I have which I'm trying to figure out if I'll ever wear xD

• Like 9
nerdperson777
4 hours ago, Mezzo Forte said:

Even with professional ear training, I wouldn't say I have any professional training for singing either. (In fact, I was awful at sightsinging.) The effects of T can somewhat irritate the throat in the early stages, (I know mine felt a bit rough when my voice started cracking,) so the honey is a good thing to keep up with.

I'm not sure if someone can necessarily have a falsetto pre-T (unless your T levels were high enough to already have a vocal break), but the voice does have multiple registers, and it's possible that your head voice is so rarely used that jumping into that register feels like hitting falsetto. There is somewhat of a break between two parts of the voice, kind of like how the clarinet has a break between Bb and C.

I personally have trouble accessing my falsetto sometimes because I think too much and often tense my voice to the point that I can't make the break.

@Emery., most the Improv theatre I've seen are comedy groups who perform at universities. Don't know if that's more of a thing where I'm from or not, but perhaps look around for improv comedy in particular.

(Otherwise, there's lots of fun improv games you can organize with a few friends. I remember in high school that we had a day where we played games together, and one of them involved improv. A few people had to create an improvised scene, then someone at random would yell "freeze!" Everyone stops in place, and the person who yells it gets up and switches places with someone of their choosing. They then create a new scene based on the frozen pose they were in. It's fun to watch :P)

Don't know if I even know how to sightsing.  I think the sites I read said to have honey every day but I just have honey milk tea every few days so I'm probably not preserving my voice as well as I could.

I doubt I had high enough T levels before T.  I've always been the shortest one in class, I had no strength (and gave up easily), and I only grew some body hair from natural transition.  But I guess it could be not falsetto since my voice does actually go that high instead of....however falsetto works.  I think I change voice somewhere around the C above middle C.

I think I saw some improv class at one of my local community colleges in the class list so maybe you can find any school near you to try it out.  Maybe even some are just clubs instead of classes so might not have to pay for anything besides gas.

One class activity I had was to get what you want from the other person, say another constraint to keep you both tugging at each other's heartstrings.  I've never really gotten what I wanted growing up so in the activity where there needs to be an argument blowing up, I forgot to blow up.  That was a different activity but I remember one pair was playing tennis as their activity (and we laughed when the ball went some other way).  One girl was having a family vacation that she had to go to.  The other wanted to have one final time playing in a competitive tournament with her before she leaves forever.  The point was that the vacation and tournament happened at the same time.  So they just kept adding and adding to the stakes, but thankfully the professor would stop us before a final choice had to be made.

@ChillaKilla Since you keep getting the 1 mL bottle, I wanted to ask after I take my shot and the container is empty, do they automatically refill you another 1 mL bottle that I can just pick up at the pharmacy or do I have to ask the doctor for my refill?  I feel like if they wanted me to get a blood test after two months on T, they would kind of need to give me another bottle anyway.

• Like 2

Is it weird that I feel like in another life (aka one where I was amab) I might have probably been a crossdresser? 

I'm not talking about believing in past lives or anything like that, just that I think if I had been born and raised as male from the start and didn't have to deal with being trans and all the crapiness and dysphoria that comes with it I would probably enjoy dressing up as a girl sometimes for fun, I guess I'd try doing drag but I'm terrible at performing so I wouldn't do an actual show. Just put on a dress, heels, makeup, a wig, and then hang around the house looking like that for a few hours. Then take it all off and carry on with my day as I normally look. 

Is that kinda too weird coming from a trans guy? I remember before figuring out I was trans I had this weird relationship with dresses and feminine stuff like that. Part of me hated all of it and being forced to wear it for formal events but a little part of me got kind of excited at the idea and it was fun to look at myself in the mirror for a few minutes. But then I hated that everyone genuinely treated me in a more female way when I was dressed like that.

I guess I liked the dressing up part but hated that it meant people would see me as a girl.  

• Like 6
1 minute ago, Liebelit said:

Is it weird that I feel like in another life (aka one where I was amab) I might have probably been a crossdresser? 

I'm not talking about believing in past lives or anything like that, just that I think if I had been born and raised as male from the start and didn't have to deal with being trans and all the crapiness and dysphoria that comes with it I would probably enjoy dressing up as a girl sometimes for fun, I guess I'd try doing drag but I'm terrible at performing so I wouldn't do an actual show. Just put on a dress, heels, makeup, a wig, and then hang around the house looking like that for a few hours. Then take it all off and carry on with my day as I normally look. 

Is that kinda too weird coming from a trans guy? I remember before figuring out I was trans I had this weird relationship with dresses and feminine stuff like that. Part of me hated all of it and being forced to wear it for formal events but a little part of me got kind of excited at the idea and it was fun to look at myself in the mirror for a few minutes. But then I hated that everyone genuinely treated me in a more female way when I was dressed like that.

I guess I liked the dressing up part but hated that it meant people would see me as a girl.  

Honestly, I feel the same way. (Of course I'd be trans either way, but still).

Dresses and skirts are awesome, even if I've never felt entirely comfortable in them (due to both perception and the fact that when I'm wearing them I never think about the fact that if I'm climbing something, people can see right up them...)

On slightly different topic, have any of the other non-binary people here thought about what name they would have chosen had they been assigned the other sex when they were born? I probably would have picked September (nn Ember).

• Like 1
nerdperson777

@Liebelit I don't find that weird.  Might be my non-binary tendencies, but I think if I was AMAB, I would've been a feminine cis guy.  No idea how I would feel about body parts since my guess is that if I have it, sure whatever.  I guess that's a cisgenderless take on it, maybe.  I might try on dresses and feminine stuff for fun, but not seriously for drag.  That may have to do with my binary male presentation though.

@Vislor Don't know if the name we chose for our trans identity would be the same.  Probably not.  Technically, we wouldn't be choosing our names since our parents would've chosen for us.  I never asked my parents about what they would've named me if I was AMAB since they would probably feel bad that I'm stuffing my gender in their face again.  All I really did with my name was change it to a masculine name that sounded like my birth name.  My name doesn't have a straight cut "genderbent" version.  The second name in line I would've given myself was Max, maybe that would've been something.  When choosing my birth name, my mom said that she liked "classic" names that weren't trendy.  If someone wants to list a bunch of classic names, maybe something interesting will come up.  I have four cousins (all siblings), in which three are named after royalty.  Not sure what happened to the youngest.  I guess not enough girl names.  (The three are Henry, Diana, and Edward.)

• Like 1

@nerdperson777 Yeah, I can see that. Personally, I've always been curious about names and thus knew what my name had I been AMAB would have been, but when I was thinking about what name I wanted to use, it didn't feel right, so I went with Asa instead of it. I probably would have thought along the same lines, and since my birth name is a month I wasn't born in, I'd probably have gone with the name that in this universe seemed like it should have been, September.

Mostly, I think I was just wondering how everyone chose their name that they go by, and if it would have been different had they been assigned the opposite sex.

nerdperson777

@Vislor Yeah, I doubt my parents would actually name me Calvin if I were AMAB.  Almost no one I know has this name.  I just know a high school classmate who had it, with my mom's last name.  My parents may have gone for something unique, but not too obscure, because they don't want to be "weird".  And then there were classes that there were three of us total with the same name.

Since there's only so many months, I'm just guessing April or June.

6 minutes ago, Vislor said:

September.

This seems like the most awesome name!

• Like 1

@nerdperson777 Yeah, June. I actually like that as a name, just not on me.

Edit: I might be weird, but I don't actually mind people knowing my birth name, as long as they keep calling me Asa, and at least act like they've just filed it away as a piece of trivia.

@BionicPi I know, right? The only reason I didn't go with it was because I view it as too feminine (because when I was a kid, still thinking of myself as female, I kind of wanted to rename myself that).

3 minutes ago, Vislor said:

@BionicPi I know, right? The only reason I didn't go with it was because I view it as too feminine (because when I was a kid, still thinking of myself as female, I kind of wanted to rename myself that).

I'm gonna make sure we use it in a book!

• Like 2