We need your help – volunteering opportunities!

timewarp

If you’ve always wanted to help out the asexual community with something, but didn’t quite know what you could do, here is the big one! We need a lot of volunteers in several teams! There is an interesting role for everybody!

This is the first of two announcements, for the Wiki and Answering teams and a new Visibility team. I will do a separate announcement for the survey team, which does the Ace Community Census - particularly interesting for people with programming and/or writing skills. Watch this space!

Wiki Team

The AVEN Wiki has served as an informative resource for AVENites and the general public alike.

The goal of the wiki team is to make sure the Wiki is a sturdy, reliable, trusted and exceptional resource that covers a variety of subjects related to asexuality such as the spectrum, gender, sexual behaviour, relationships and more!

There are two roles:

Role A: Researchers

The researchers have the primary task of locating information to supply the writers with. Researchers are interacting with raw information

Primary Tasks:

• Locate information and place facts into a google document

• Seek out information on a potential topic

• Research on information based on feedback from the Editors.

Requirements: Researchers are asked to have access to Academic Databases (Usually provided by Colleges and Universities)

Role B: Writers

The writer's primary task is taking the information from the researchers and writing it in an easily accessible way on the Wiki. Writers are also tasks with being creative, thinking about potential Wiki pages and provide direction to the researchers to investigate.

Primary Tasks:

- Consider additional pages that could be created

- Organize the information given by the researchers

- Write the pages on the Wiki

If you are interested in supporting the AVEN Wiki team, please contact Aqua-ace.

Answering Team

Most of you are familiar with the question of people who are new to asexuality. Not everybody is comfortable with posting them on the forum, so we get a lot of questions via email.

The answering team needs people who can be objective and empathetic to answer questions that people pose to the Q&A email. They should be able and willing to give nonjudgmental advice and support. Also people are needed who can offer ideas on how to make answering emails more productive and convenient, while maintaining genuine and helpful answers.

You need to be committed to confidentiality in this role.

If you are interested in this role, please contact Aqua-ace.

Visibility, Education and Networking Team

If you don’t know what this is, that’s not a surprise, because I’m starting this team from scratch. Once upon a time, the Project Team was started to work on visibility and education. It was bigger than now and, so it seems, far more inefficient. Now we have clearly defined roles, which means we can keep up with the ongoing work, but there is not much time for proactive visibility work. And of course the asexual community is growing at an impressive pace.

This new team should help the asexual community with the coordination of visibility efforts. And that should not be limited to AVEN – we want to coordinate our efforts with others, be it other websites or local / different language communities.

First and foremost, we need to keep track of important events (like ace awareness week and aro awareness week). The calendar we have on AVEN is not being used as of now, and this team should change that and populate it with useful info. This also means we need to make a good selection – spamming it will not help. Once we know about the events, we can find other ways of promoting and supporting them, maybe start activities for them as well.

We should also inform AVEN members about all kinds of things that are going on around the world. So far these things are being done by individuals, but if we have a dedicated team for this, we can go much further.

Helping out with this team does not require any special skills. If you are active in another community (for example other languages), your contribution would be particularly welcome.

If you are interested in helping to build up this new team, please get in touch with me.

I do code stuff and want to volunteer for the census thingy, but I see no announcement for that like you promised. Did they change their mind? :(

@timewarp

2 minutes ago, FaerieFate said:

I do code stuff and want to volunteer for the census thingy, but I see no announcement for that like you promised. Did they change their mind? :(

@timewarp

Nope, just not ready yet. Hopefully I'll post it next weekend. But if you're interested anyway, I'll send you a pm now about getting you on the team. Thanks for your interest! :)

6 minutes ago, timewarp said:

Nope, just not ready yet. Hopefully I'll post it next weekend. But if you're interested anyway, I'll send you a pm now about getting you on the team. Thanks for your interest! :)

I'll be impatiently waiting!

SithAzathoth WinterDragon
On Monday, July 10, 2017 at 1:57 AM, timewarp said:

Visibility, Education and Networking Team

I'm interested and I'm going to start popping in more often as well.

I've got a wee bit of coding history so would be interested in the census stuff too see if I can help.

I wouldn't mind being a researcher for the Wiki Team or help the Visibility, Education and Networking Team, but I can only start to help in October more seriously...

So I don't know if I should try to apply for the teams or not.

12 hours ago, JusTopi said:

I wouldn't mind being a researcher for the Wiki Team or help the Visibility, Education and Networking Team, but I can only start to help in October more seriously...

So I don't know if I should try to apply for the teams or not.

That's no problem. Just let us know when you're available. Thanks for your interest! :):cake:

58 minutes ago, Kyon. said:

I'm very interested in getting more involved with social media - would the VENT Team have any involvement with that kinda stuff?

VENT :o I didn't even think about that acronym! I wonder if @SkyWorld would like some help? There is a social media team, so maybe that could be just the perfect thing...

Sure! :) I'm soon to get ready for work though, but shoot me a PM if you or anyone else is interested! :D 

• 1 month later...

i'm a policy ressearcher for the pirate party, so i have a level of expertise in that and also help run the social media pressence how  may i help? (i am also interested in doing the email answers but nothing too deep)

I'd be interested in helping to answer emails. :)

Archived