Can I just be late?

ace.of.hearts13

ace.of.hearts13

So I know I don't experience sexual attraction, but as a teen I also know it's possible that I'm just a late bloomer. I'm just wondering, is it possible to develop sexual attraction late if other things developed early? (such as height, getting my period, etc.)

swirl_of_blue

I still don't really feel sexual attraction, but my libido "awoke" when I was 19. Physically I developed very early, around 10-12, in every sense (breasts, period etc). I'm still hoping I will develop sexual attraction as well, as I think I have felt myself becoming less repulsed and more neutral or even positive, slowly but surely. I'm 26 now. I also personally know people who only started to have any interest in sex around 20, so being a late bloomer is very much possible.

• Like 1
Scottthespy

Its entirely possible, though the older you get the less likely it is. Physical development can happen all at once, or in a slow gradual process, or in fits and starts. It's different for everyone, so you can't really

say 'this happened by this time, so the rest will happen by this time or it's not happening at all'.

• Like 1
A shard of glass

Hmm, this is interesting... Personally I'd say that this is entirely possible.

I was kind of the opposite though... After a relatively traumatic event that occurred when I was 14, I've not experienced sexual attraction... You know the butterflies that you get when you see someone and you can't really explain why you get them over that specific person? I always associated that with sexual attraction, and that's what I've always thought that was... But since said event... I've not ever felt that nervous or excited around anyone at all...

Seems pretty depressing, but you know, stuff happens, and there's nothing anyone can do about it other than move on :P

But anyway, back to the point, it's entirely possible that this is what you could be experiencing right now, I wouldn't really worry about it really, asexuality isn't a disease (as some bigots would have you believe), and neither is allosexuality (which I think I found recently to mean "them" as in, non-asexuals). Just be happy with the way you are :)

Hope that this at least goes some way to helping you understand what you're going through :)

• Like 1
RoseGoesToYale

There's no set age for discovering sexuality. Some go half their lives thinking they're straight until they realize they're not. Some just know even from childhood. It's common for people to discover their sexuality from their teens into mid twenties, so it's possible you just haven't experienced it yet, though it's not a set rule. Either way, it's okay not to feel sexual attraction. It might change, it might not, but you can use the term asexual for as as you feel it fits.

• Like 2

You could be a late bloomer, or you could end up still not really feeling anything all that noteworthy. I was never really interested in sex or dating as a teen, and it largely remains that way now at age 23. I really didn't give a crap about sex stuff; I knew what sex before most of my peers since I read science stuff as a young kid so my curiosity about sex never really developed. If you feel different later, it's all cool. For now, it's fine you feel this way.

• Like 1