What do you like about being asexual?

10 hours ago, City_Flyer said:

I would agree with this.

Do you feel that, as an ace, you can form more closer and more meaningful bonds with people?

I mean, does the freedom from sexual desire allow friendships to be more genuine?

I certainly feel that it does.

If my friends would know, it would definitely form a more stronger bond. One of my friends know, bur I think she does not quite believe me. We had a talk once because she is in a relationship since two years, but feels no desire and it is often a topic of conflict between her and her boyfriend. I told her, maybe she is an asexual as well, but she replied "but i enjoyed sex before my boyfriend, else i could identify with it." I hope she never tells her bf about that. I am pretty sure my best friend knows as well, but we can never manage it to meet up and i want to tell her in person. She would understand. Apart from that, i am also happy to not be involved in drama anymore, but i like tp listen to it :D

MakeupJunkie4
On 8/15/2017 at 2:41 PM, City_Flyer said:

I would agree with this.

Do you feel that, as an ace, you can form more closer and more meaningful bonds with people?

I mean, does the freedom from sexual desire allow friendships to be more genuine?

I certainly feel that it does.

I can't be sure, but I think it's likely. I mean, all I have to go by is my own (ace) perspective so I can't say for certain, but it seems so. Of course, some allos might argue that the sexual aspect makes their relationships more meaningful, but IMO it's pretty elementary that by removing any one aspect, the others become stronger... people who are deaf usually have better observation than most, the blind usually have better hearing, etc. Jussayin. 😉👍

• Like 2
On 13/08/2017 at 10:59 PM, lux aeterna said:

I would like to know the other reasons. I would not judge you and I think nobody would. Just if you want to.

Oh, I better not, would probably grant me a warning :D 

Being an aroace is nice because I can focus on stuff all the time and not get distracted by romance like a foolish mortal

Plus the whole dragons thing is cool

• 2 months later...
Lucas Monteiro

I think at least one of the positives things of being asexual is that while I don't focus in sex or even right now relationships, I can focus in more intellectual things and study more. I can have a lot of time to practice more and be more better in some things while others are chasing sexual things that it wouldn't help their carrers or lifes (looking through point of monetary way).

Like the proverb japonese said : "Train while they sleep, study while they have fun, persist while they rest, and then, live what they dream."

I would put in the way for asexual people : "[..] study while they have sex, and persist while they rest of sexual activities, and then,live what they dream."

• Like 2
The Gnat (Natalie)

This is echoing what other people said, but I literally just have so much more mental time and space free because it's not taken up by thinking about how much I want/need sex or romance. All of my friends are allo (to the best of my knowledge), and to hear them talk, it sounds exhausting 😂

I know I read somewhere (I don't think on AVEN, but I can't remember) a post where someone was talking about passion being redirected, and I totally agreed with it. I think because all of the passion I have isn't directed toward sex and romance, it's redirected toward my hobbies, friendships, and goals, and I think that's a good thing. I'm less enthusiastic about romantic relationships than the people around me, but I'm more enthusiastic about the other things I love than they seem to understand. I guess the downside there is that we don't see eye-to-eye sometimes, but I wouldn't change a thing!

• Like 4
MakeupJunkie4

I just now read the first page and would like to say something in response to the person who wrote this (my phone won't let me quote anyone so I'm copy/pasting):

"There is nothing good at all about being asexual and to be perfectly honest any one who is single and asexual I don't believe them when they try to make it out to be anything other than negative, I've already met my perfect man and because of my asexuality that relationship didn't work now I have to go through life and the chances are I'll never experience anything close to a reciprocated true love again"

Oh darn. You caught us. We're all liars. We clearly have nothing better to do than sit around and make up stories online about our orientation. It's an act, I tell you! Us aces are just pretending to be happy in our own skin. That's just impossible for anyone in the whole wide world to do, isn't it??? 😜 And as a note, honey - if he was the "perfect man" and truly loved you, he would have accepted you as you are and not expected you to change. Aim higher. Please.

• Like 5
Hermit Advocate

- That it lead me to the realization that I do not have to date anyone just because society tells me I need to or there's something wrong with me.

- That I have found this amazing (and crazy) community.

- Cake.

- I still can procrastinate just fine without sex. 

- That it lead me to the term aromantic.

- My inner dialogue has gotten even snarkier towards PDA and sex references. It helps me deal with these situations when they make me uncomfortable. 

• Like 1

I like this question, makes me think about the good aspects of not wanting sex :D 

Well, as other said, one big perk of being asexual is not having sex. I remember being small and having to eat all the spinach in my plate, and I hated spinach when I was small, and the perk of being an adult now is that I don't have to eat spinach anymore (although I do like spinach now). 

It's the same for sex, since I found out I was asexual and accepted the fact that I did not have to want to have sex, it's such a relief! 

And as other girls pointed out, no risks of being unwillingly pregnant! And it saves costs on contraception and things like this. And no need to take the pill either. 

No need to force myself to look sexy anymore (which I did because I felt I had to be sexy, in a sexual way. I'm glad I can just be myself now!). 

• Like 2