Transmission (Manual or Automatic)

Pramana

Transmission (Manual or Automatic)  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer to drive a vehicle with a manual or an automatic transmission?

• Manual (stick shift)
    • Semi-automatic (dual clutch, paddle shifters)
    • Automatic (slush box)
    • Don't drive.

This poll is closed to new votes

SorryNotSorry
On June 29, 2017 at 1:41 AM, nameinagame said:

I once knew a retired bus driver. He told me a story of how once his company changed all their buses from manual to automatic. They then became pretty much undrivable according to him. Apparently automatics aren't very good with dealing with corners while going uphill. The town they were being used in was very hilly. The company had to switch back to manuals.

But this was a long time ago and I'm sure automatics are better these days.

I learned something about the newer Maseratis... other than the Trident on the grill, one thing that makes them so damned expensive is this computerized dual-gate shifter transmission.

I hate to tell the folks at Maserati, but I can't get excited over any of their cars since I've been behind the wheel of an EV.

• 2 weeks later...

Automatics are a lot better now than they used to be, but I still enjoy driving a car with a good manual transmission.

I'm split here. As a cab driver, when you're spending 6-8 hours a day driving in traffic an auto is much less tiring. Modern ones have paddleshift override, so you can hold a lower gear, if overtaking, or for engine braking on a hill. 

However, if driving for enjoyment then I prefer the extra tactility and interaction with a manual. 

I didn't know that there were any Americans who are able to drive manual transmission! :o:P

As for me, I have owned both at various times and I don't really care.  A car's a car! 

Manual, so much more involved driving, better experience all the way, more feeling of control over the vehicle. Plus, weirdly, I do not like the sound of an automatic transmission especially when building speed, it just irritates me, but that is another issue. 

OP - consider adding CVT to the option list ? I would say, if I HAD to drive an automatic, I would prefer a CVT rather than a conventional automatic. 

cavalier080854

I think this is an American issue. Most Europeans learn to drive on manual cars. The advantage in the UK, if you learn to drive a manual you can drive an automatic. But if you learn to  drive an automatic you cannot drive a manual. But in the UK you can only start to drive after you reach the age of 17 (don't even ask what the insurance will be for a 17 yo driver will be).:ph34r:

The stick shift is in the lead!

I'm kind of surprised, but 
I'm told that manuals are more popular in Europe. Sadly, often manufacturers won't even offer manual versions in North America due to low demand.

everywhere and nowhere

Wow. I'm such an anti-motorist that I didn't even understand at first what the title means. ;)

I definitely don't drive, don't have a car, identify as a pedestrian and public transportation passenger. And I'm scared to death of possibly harming someone - that's the primary reason why I don't drive.

MiraMeyneth

I learned how to drive on an automatic, and at this moment I'm learning how to drive stick, in an old 1999 Volkswagen Beetle. It's fun to drive, but scary as i'm nervous about stop signs and traffic lights. I never thought i'd see the day where i'd shiver at the thought of a stop sign, but when I started learning manual I did.

Although I regard it as needed, as my sister fully intends to move to Germany when she gets older. Knowing how to drive manual would be a massive help if I ever went to visit, as apparently manuals in Europe are far more common.

At least my car gets great gas mileage. That's an upside i'm pretty happy with as I somewhat enjoy driving.

On 7/10/2017 at 8:21 AM, Ortac said:

I didn't know that there were any Americans who are able to drive manual transmission! :o:P

As for me, I have owned both at various times and I don't really care.  A car's a car! 

Only 11% of the population of USA can if I recall correctly. I think the people who do are 1 of 2 things. Its essential in their job, or like cars.

I learned on manual, because our car was a sports car. (Scion tc). Once you know manual. All other non-car vehicles are easy. Manual driving is part of my job, since I work with all kinds of cars.

Grumpy Alien
On 7/10/2017 at 1:56 PM, chandrakirti said:

I like the semi automatics the Smart cars have,

I have a semi-automatic Smart car. It's fine I guess. I would prefer a fully automatic. It still drives like a manual and it's not a nice.

On 10/07/2017 at 11:21 PM, Pramana said:

The stick shift is in the lead!

I'm kind of surprised, but 
I'm told that manuals are more popular in Europe. Sadly, often manufacturers won't even offer manual versions in North America due to low demand.

Yet the weird thing is BMW only sold the last M5 as a manual in the USA, in Europe it was an auto 

cavalier080854
On ‎10‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 11:56 PM, Nowhere Girl said:

Wow. I'm such an anti-motorist that I didn't even understand at first what the title means. ;)

I definitely don't drive, don't have a car, identify as a pedestrian and public transportation passenger. And I'm scared to death of possibly harming someone - that's the primary reason why I don't drive.

Remember Death Race 2000 ?:twisted:

For anyone from elsewhere visiting Europe, transmission is a minor detail. Hire a car and you can specify an auto. The main points you need to remember are that speed limits are a starting point for negotiation, and using a mobile (cellphone) whilst driving makes you as popular with the law as DUI. 

In Britain two using phone offences within three years carries a mandatory 6-12month driving ban 

@cavalier080854, that, Convoy and Dukes of Hazard taught me how to drive, along with Group B rallying 

butterflydreams
1 hour ago, Pramana said:

Group B rallying is sorely missed:

Fucking, LOVE.

I'm a proud American with two stick shift cars. My parents never owned an automatic, and the only reason I ever did is because they wouldn't teach me. Eventually I got my own and taught myself. In America, a manual is basically an anti theft device. I just got a brand new Mazda with a manual. Good on Mazda for not forcing me into a crappy base model just to have the stick either.

26 minutes ago, Hadley167 said:

I just got a brand new Mazda with a manual. Good on Mazda for not forcing me into a crappy base model just to have the stick either.

Mazda seems to be doing quite well in the automotive press these days, for retaining some enthusiast credibility.

butterflydreams
3 minutes ago, Pramana said:

Mazda seems to be doing quite well in the automotive press these days, for retaining some enthusiast credibility.

For a FWD car, it handles ridiculously well. Very balanced and neutral. I really wanted to get another Subaru, but they just made it so difficult to get what I wanted. And you can't get a leather interior with a manual. Unless you spring for the WRX, and pay a ton of insurance :/

Manual seems to be holding on to thee lead in this poll :o

I've only driven cars with manual transmission or electric cars. My experience with the electric car, was that I was constantly trying to figure out what to do with my left leg as it did not had a pedal to rest. I Germany almost everybody learns driving with manual transmission. If you learn with automatic transmission you are not allowed to drive a car with manual transmission. As most people own a car with manual transmission, you can not borrow the car of your friend/neighbour/family.

Digs_Dead_People

I know how to drive a manual, but it's physically very hard for me because I lack the ability to lift my feet up and down so I would have to move both entire legs instead of just one to drive.

I chose the 'Don't drive' option, though I did actually start driving (yes, an automatic transmission) when I moved to my present city in the southwestern United States, because public transport here generally was at below third-world country standards. Grrr.

I became an ardent activist, and along with a growing number of people, watched our transit system improve enough to actually be viable. It has continued to improve, both in times of operation, and frequency of the same, yet I still kept the hated car until a couple of years ago, to use for grocery shopping (I was already commuting via bus to and from work). When a major grocery chain began to deliver, I donated the damned car and have not looked back. Since then, I have either used my local "Uber-like" service (called Fluxride) on the rare occasions I could not/decided not to use public transport or my bike, or I have rented a car, when heading out of town (since we also do not have any kind of real train system here).

Anomaly Q3Xr

I don't drive a car, but I did my CBT to ride a 125 cc motorcycle, and rode an automatic, as I don't want to have to deal with all the gears.  I think if I ever get around to doing my full motorcycle test, I will still do it on an automatic.

• 2 weeks later...

In Europe, almost everyone drives manual, and learns how to drive in a manual. I've driven both and absolutely hated driving automatic, I was constantly grasping for my missing stick. It's like you have no control when driving automatic, or maybe that's just how I feel being used to manual.

I'm kind of weird, because I've driven both, and there's not one that I prefer more. Manual is more fun, but automatic is more relaxing. I guess that doesn't really answer the poll lol.

Manual all the way. I like having that sense of control with the car. Call it irrational if you want, but I just don't trust automatics. Can't do it.

• 2 weeks later...

Someone once told me that if you live in the USA, you can pretty much guarantee that your car will never be stolen if you have a manual. That would never work on this side of the Atlantic. Pretty much everyone can drive manual including the criminal low life's who steal cars!

To Each Their Own
32 minutes ago, Ortac said:

Someone once told me that if you live in the USA, you can pretty much guarantee that your car will never be stolen if you have a manual. That would never work on this side of the Atlantic. Pretty much everyone can drive manual including the criminal low life's who steal cars!

Funnily enough...this is ONE of the reasons why I have always had a maunual transmission vehicle.  The other reason is because they are just way more fun to drive!!!

Apathetic Echidna

aww I'm the only vote for Semi-automatic. I love my floppy paddles. Manuals are too much work and I wouldn't trust a full auto on some of the mountain roads I have had to drive. am I the only vote because they aren't that common or is everyone else just a purist?

Archived