Transmission (Manual or Automatic)

Pramana

Transmission (Manual or Automatic)  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer to drive a vehicle with a manual or an automatic transmission?

• Manual (stick shift)
    • Semi-automatic (dual clutch, paddle shifters)
    • Automatic (slush box)
    • Don't drive.

This poll is closed to new votes

In light of some recent car threads on AVEN, I thought I'd start a poll dedicated to the topic of manual versus automatic transmissions. Like many fans of the stick shift, I spend much of my time extolling its virtues while bemoaning its demise.

Automatic: Cost more and wieght more. Hell of easier and more relaxing to drive.

Manual: Cost less and weight less. More difficult to drive, but you can also have more fun driving if you're into that. 

For daily use: automatic all the way. 

I can't drive, but if I did, driving is so extremely stressful for me that I would want as few things to be concerned about as possible.  Automatic is a no-brainer.

Grumpy Alien

It is impossible to convince me automatics are not the best thing since sliced bread. Because they are. Fact.

darkstreamers252

I can drive both but I prefer the automatic.

Grumpy Alien

I have a semi-automatic but have no clue how to drive manual despite some of @Splatacus's attempts to explain. I have no plans of ever learning. There's no way I could drive like that.

My first car was a manual, but learned on automatic. Now unfortunately I have an semi-automatic cause I had so little time get the one I wanted after a wreck a couple years ago. I pretty much always use the manual/tiptronic whatever cause I like being more in control of the revs.

that._.irish._.guy

I prefer automatic for an everyday car and manual for the more special cars. However, all the cars I own are manual... 

I prefer an automatic, since it's all I know how to drive.  Manual cars are extra uncommon where I live, so no one really drives them unless they're the type of person who seeks them out.

I prefer manual for driving.

Depending on where you live, and what kind of things you do, both have their perks. Automatics are better for city driving, and manuals are better for multi-terrain and all weather driving. Also tend to be better on gas (for older cars)

RoseGoesToYale

I would prefer a manual because they're cheaper and sometimes easier to service, but I don't know how to drive one and all the people I know who know how got rid of their manuals years ago.

Drove a Prius for four years (transmissionless). Love, loved the gas savings, but the planetary gear mimicked a transmission as such: 1. depress the gas pedal while the car is on battery only, 2. pray to the heavens the engine kicks in before you're turned into road meat. The one I have now is semi-automatic, which I'm convinced is actually just an LSD squirrel pedaling a unicycle in the engine compartment.

My manual was the best thing but terrible for stop-and-go traffic. Left leg pain game was strong. But the delay in acceleration in automatics was almost unbearable for me. I got really lucky with my automatic '89 Volvo with turbo because the TURBO IS AMAZING. And the handling is butter. When this car dies, I'll cry as I know it will be unlikely I can find another as perfect! (the car is totally a piece of junk but I love it) :cake:

SorryNotSorry

EVs don't have transmissions, only a couple of reduction gears. No clutch to wear out like a manual, no internal seals to wear out like an automatic.

One notable exception is the Brammo electric motorcycle. Though it has an electric motor, it's a mystery why the engineers chose to give it a conventional manual transmission. Electric motors are not made to accommodate the abrupt changes in RPMs that automatics and manuals demand when they're in operation... electric motors tend to grind gears when they're shoehorned into doing this. In fact, when EVs were strictly home-modified things, DIYers would typically find Chevy S-10 pickups with manual transmissions and blown engines, swap out the clutch and the ruined engine for an airplane starter motor or an industrial Baldor motor, and just leave the trans in 1st gear wherever they went.

I'm surprised that so far it's close to an even split. I was expecting that the results would be more skewed towards automatics.

Anthracite_Impreza

Manual all the way, automatics are boring and slow.

Horse Ham Radio

I once knew a retired bus driver. He told me a story of how once his company changed all their buses from manual to automatic. They then became pretty much undrivable according to him. Apparently automatics aren't very good with dealing with corners while going uphill. The town they were being used in was very hilly. The company had to switch back to manuals.

But this was a long time ago and I'm sure automatics are better these days.

SamwiseLovesLife

In the UK it's pretty uncommon to have an automatic car, we really mainly have manual cars. I've never driven an automatic :)

FTR: I hate cars. I have a license and am somewhat able to drive stick shifts. To be precise; their modern watered down constant mesh / synchronized gear variant. The real thing, as found in Volvo's good looking SUV TP 21 or still seen in popular RV bases like multi fuel MANs & short bonnet Mercedes (911D, 711D) because bosses loved to order it, believing cars would see less abuse from drivers struggling with it, is beyond my skills set. - I am also not on the level of professional chauffeurs who operate the clutches of oversized engines without passengers noticing that fact. FTR some gearboxes like Opel's 6 speed are complicated / confusing for spontaneous users. 

IMHO underpowered & manual transmission make a great match. Waiting for a less than 3hp 50ccm to accelerate to 40km/h feels better when you are occupied shifting gears.

I'd love to experience power combined with a smart automatic transmission that gasps or takes hints what you are intending to do. Let's say something like Kawasaki 900ccm 115hp ready to get "kicked" down from 6th to 2nd or 3rd gear at 80km/h on a country road. 

I'm currently riding a semi automatic Honda gearbox and am absolutely fine with it. While it might cost me a second at the traffic lights, I am sure it contributes to my great gas mileage. 

As far as I know most people in Germany learn to drive manual (unless they really don't want to or can't for whatever reason).

At first I thought I was never going to learn it, it was just too much to deal with at the same time. I learned it just fine and now it's no big deal.

I prefer manual cars mainly because they save petrol. Besides driving manual cars is more fun. It feels more like handling an actual machine and not just pressing buttons.

Somehow more - down to the earth, you know?

I can't drive to save my life, no matter which one. Never got the part that was supposed to be "fun"; I always found it utterly boring. Might be related to my general indifference towards cars. They're just items of daily use, just like an iron or a washing machine.

i loooooove driving manual. :D  definitely prefer it over automatic.

Apparently people who love driving cars tend to prefer manual transmission. I'm not one of those people. For me driving is not fun, it's utility. I do it because I want to get places. I prefer an automatic transmission. I don't know how to drive manual and have zero interest in learning. In fact, the more automatic driving is for me the better I like. I like it when I can set the cruise control on a long drive. The auto-parallel parking thing appeals to me. My ideal would be a self-driving car. Forget about your flying cars! :P

As far as things like speed, cornering on hills, and other reported drawbacks to automatic transmissions, I never noticed any issues with my car. :)

I Can't drive

I'm impressed that manual is ahead. Of course, there may be some selection bias, as people who prefer manuals are likely to be more enthusiastic about driving and thus more enthusiastic about answering a driving-related poll. I'm surprised that there're no fans of the semi-auto so far.

I really wanted to learn to drive a manual, but they don't teach it any longer around here, and I couldn't find anybody willing to teach me outside of driver's ed either... so all I know how to do is drive an automatic. It still annoys me, and I still plan to learn, but I haven't managed to yet to an extent I'd feel comfortable trying it on the road. Knowing the theory is one thing, but putting it in practice is another.

So, never having actually driven a manual, I had to vote automatic. My ideal would probably be paddle shifters, though; at least theoretically the best of both worlds.

11 hours ago, Pramana said:

I'm surprised that there're no fans of the semi-auto so far.

? I thought I outed myself. - It is surely not ideal. - AFAIK the Smart car takes too long to change gears and  tiny Honda's suffer from their long 1st gear and can't do wheelies like bikes with manual clutches but semi auto combines the positive sides of both concepts: You can decelerate by gearing down. Your clutching knee or wrist doesn't hurt, no matter how excessive a traffic jam becomes. You make at least as great mileage as with a fully manual transmission. Semi-auto is also very beginner friendly. It must have looked like a rodeo when I got used to the manual clutches on 80ccm Yamaha and finally 50ccm Zündapp. Also your ride doesn't sound like a rabid lawn mower like those variomatic toys, average scooters or DAF Marathon.

I prefer automatic. My dad has two manual transmition vehicles and he's explained to me how you operate a manual, but I think I'd probably screw it up somehow if I tried.

swirl_of_blue

Manual aaaalllll the way. Where would be the fun in driving automatic? Even semiautomatic sounds boring and too easy, it has even taken down my respect for racing and rally drivers that they nowadays use semiautomatic. Though in my country if you get your driving license using an automatic transmission car you will have a comment in your license card that you're not allowed to drive manual transmission car, so pretty much everyone who has a license can drive manual.

Archived