Treat yo'self

Snao Cone

flagsforhippos

The only regular treat I have is curry; either a takeaway or an evening spent at the local Indian restaurant with family.

Christmas is different, I like to treat myself more at this time of year - I think to keep the winter blues at bay. Anyone else find they treat themselves more around Yuletide?

Around the holidays what I want more of is just downtime. Treating myself would be staying in bed all day and not feeling bad about it.

12 hours ago, flagsforhippos said:

Anyone else find they treat themselves more around Yuletide?

I don't think of it as treating myself, but I do like to get things like eggnog and other seasonal treats (cookies, candy and such). Because I like them and I like the holiday traditions. :)

Being able to go to bed very late and get up very late is a treat every day since I haven't had to work fulltime.   I can't afford any other treats.

Luftschlosseule

I buy a facemask at the drugstore, or go raid the library and get a huuuge pile of books.
Some days I buy something nice to eat. If I have the money, I buy myself a book.

flagsforhippos
41 minutes ago, Luftschlosseule said:

raid the library and get a huuuge pile of books

I don't class this as a treat, it's an essential :)

-high end teas

-CDs

-watching anime

-good food or snacks

IDGAF about holidays, so treating myself isn't related to the calendar.

When I feel like treating myself, it's mostly about travel expenses and/or food. Such as taking a taxi instead of walking three miles or giving in and booking a real bed instead of sleeping on a bench at some station.

29 minutes ago, arekathevampyre said:

How does it taste like and it is alcoholic ? 

Imagine drinking cool, melted vanilla ice cream, but with a thicker, grosser consistency, that for some reason has eggs in it. Sometimes spiced with cinnamon and/or nutmeg. Alcohol optional, not required. I don't actually like eggnog, so maybe I'm not the best person to describe it, lol. :lol:

arekathevampyre
1 hour ago, Planet Ace said:

Imagine drinking cool, melted vanilla ice cream, but with a thicker, grosser consistency, that for some reason has eggs in it. Sometimes spiced with cinnamon and/or nutmeg. Alcohol optional, not required. I don't actually like eggnog, so maybe I'm not the best person to describe it, lol. :lol:

interesting !! I have never tried it before :)

I will be going down the supermarket to grab some if possible :)

5 minutes ago, arekathevampyre said:

interesting !! I have never tried it before :)

I will be going down the supermarket to grab some if possible :)

Yeah, give it a try, you'll probably like it! Most people do, I'm just the weird one for not liking it. Let me know what you think! :)

arekathevampyre
1 minute ago, Planet Ace said:

Yeah, give it a try, you'll probably like it! Most people do, I'm just the weird one for not liking it. Let me know what you think! :)

Sure I will . Now I will just need to convince everyone else at home to drink it . and if they don't I will try to use it to make desserts ;)

1 minute ago, arekathevampyre said:

Sure I will . Now I will just need to convince everyone else at home to drink it . and if they don't I will try to use it to make desserts ;)

Yeah, dessert! Now that I can get behind. :cake:

5 hours ago, Planet Ace said:
5 hours ago, arekathevampyre said:

How does it taste like and it is alcoholic ? 

Non-alcoholic in my case.

It is thicker than milk, has egg and certain spices in it (like nutmeg), like Planet Ace said (good description!). Some people don't like the taste and/or the consistency. I am not one of those people. :)

If you plan to try it you might be better off looking for the smallest container of it you can buy.

arekathevampyre
8 hours ago, daveb said:

Non-alcoholic in my case.

It is thicker than milk, has egg and certain spices in it (like nutmeg), like Planet Ace said (good description!). Some people don't like the taste and/or the consistency. I am not one of those people. :)

If you plan to try it you might be better off looking for the smallest container of it you can buy.

I hope there is a tiny one lol 

I used to like eggnog more than I do now, but it's still nice to have a glass or two over the holiday season.

Now, hot chocolate - that is, as the kids say, extremely my shit. And I don't need an excuse to allow myself to have some when I want. :P

I have not had any hot chocolate (with whipped cream of course) since the stores started carrying eggnog for the "holiday" season.  It's usually in the stores during December and January, but it started in November this year.  I am addicted to it and will probably gain 10 pounds by the time it disappears again.  

11 hours ago, Yato said:

People don't treat themselves everyday? :blink:

I curl up with a nice 6 pack, and anime when I want my alone time.

I treat myself with dark chocolate every day. 

Chocolate is a staple! :D (I eat some everyday. If I am not eating chocolate it's a sign I am really ill!)

Hot chocolate is one of my 2 main hot drinks; it's either that or tea. Since I moved north I drink both more than I used to when I lived in the desert.

I'm with you on the eggnog, @Sally! I've been buying the bigger carton (half gallon?). I usually try to get the light kind at least (and add in a bit of milk to "lighten" it a bit more). Possibly a vain attempt to not gain 10 lbs! :lol:

Luftschlosseule
On 1.12.2017 at 10:55 AM, flagsforhippos said:

I don't class this as a treat, it's an essential :)

I have two library strategies:
Normal visit: Look what sounds interesting, if they have anything I proposed to take in, whatever.
Library raid: It's enough if I have heard a name mentoined somewhere and I am willing to carry a heavy bag and end up taking more than ten instead of only those that really interested me.

So it's getting something to read versus getting a pile of books to hug and read.

• 2 weeks later...
Autumn Season

Going for a walk. This shouldn't be a treat, but I noticed that when I feel guilty, I don't leave the house.

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 11:44 AM, Snao Cone said:

What kinds of things do you indulge in to reward yourself when you feel like you need or deserve it?...

I'll either exercise while listening to music, listen to music while on the computer, or play an online game. I usually do the first option because the endorphins help me feel better.

20 minutes ago, Pramana said:

Restaurant food, alcohol, hallucinogenic substances.

At the same time, in that order?

28 minutes ago, Snao Cone said:

At the same time, in that order?

There is much to be said for doing psychedelics and then going to a restaurant afterwards. Mushrooms may be the best one for that, because of the wonkiness. I once ended up at a Chinese buffet on Valentine's Day, hallucinating purple and orange bubble wrap descending from the ceiling, while the BBQ duck kind of got angry at me.

And LSD at the Bengal Lounge at the Empress Hotel in 
Victoria BC was an experience. Recall I ordered crab cakes and albariño. Just me eating those crab cakes, in all their crabby crabbiness. And drinking that albariño, the distilled essence of wine winey wine.

Archived