First post!

zooyork

Have you ever watched someone have an epiphany? Like truly come to a fundamental understanding of themselves right before your eyes?

I just did. 

I explained the the definition of asexuality to my 18 year old daughter and showed her the thread of people describing how they felt when they first learned about asexuality. It was amazing to see her reading all of the posts, nodding and agreeing as a sense of calm went over her. She looked up and simply said, "That's me." She's finally found people that understand her and I couldn't be happier for her. I've suspected for a looong time that she was asexual, but I never said so. 

I'm thankful for this site and I think I will hang around for awhile so I can learn some things. 

darkstreamers252

Congrats to your daughter and I give you both some unicorn cake! :)

cake-camp-trends-unicorm-241x300.jpg

She really did a happy dance when she said, "I'm asexual!" 

Thank you for acknowledging her moment! It means more to me than anything to see her happy and I just kind of wanted to share because instead of worrying that she's not "normal", now she has reassurance that she's just fine how she is!

43 minutes ago, zooyork said:

I explained the the definition of asexuality to my 18 year old daughter and showed her the thread of people describing how they felt when they first learned about asexuality. It was amazing to see her reading all of the posts, nodding and agreeing as a sense of calm went over her. She looked up and simply said, "That's me."

Heh, I'm 13 and I went searching this stuff up maybe a year ago after learning that one of my favorite you tubers was asexual. I didn't think much of it until I found a blog with situations that might help someone identify themselves as asexual. While reading it, I did the same thing as your daughter, just this moment of: "That's me."

I wish you luck on the site. I recommended it to my mom recently so she could better understand me.

MiraMeyneth
1 hour ago, zooyork said:

Thank you for acknowledging her moment! It means more to me than anything to see her happy and I just kind of wanted to share because instead of worrying that she's not "normal", now she has reassurance that she's just fine how she is!

You seem like a pretty cool mom.

It would have meant the world to me if my own mother had given me the idea of being ace, but I got left in the dark and had a bit of an identity crisis for a year or two i'm still recovering from, haha. (it's gotten better now that I've come out, but it still gives me grief every once in a while)

Either way, hope you and your daughter have a nice time on AVEN :)  (also have some pastries, i ran out of cake lol)

olga-noskovaru.jpeg

I try my best to be a good mom, though definitely not always cool! I'm sorry that you had a hard time in the past. Moms are great, but we don't always know the right thing to do. Kids don't exactly come with instructions!

Thank you for the kind words and the pastry photos are beautiful!

Welcome :cake:

It's awesome that you could help her figure it out ... It shows how close you two are...

I think my parents know more or less about my asexuality (I would watch a movie and then there would be a sex scene and she would say "that's not for you is it?" Or talk to me about an article explaining that women feel better about themselves if they masturbate and reply "well I guess it doesn't apply to everybody")

I think she would be great about it but I never came out to them... 

In either case I'm sure your daughter is really happy to have your support 

16 hours ago, MiraMeyneth said:

You seem like a pretty cool mom.

Please tell me... how did you know it was a mom and not a dad? Is "zooyork" a female name in some language unknown to me? Or is it so unlikely that a dad could relate in that way to his daughter? Or that a daughter would listen to a dad talking to her about this topic?

No offence, I'm just curious.

I remember when I first found this community.  I was euphoric, because at last, my experiences made sense to me.

Congratulations to you both.

An asexual life presents challenges of its own, and it's a good life.

MiraMeyneth
35 minutes ago, roland.o said:

Please tell me... how did you know it was a mom and not a dad? Is "zooyork" a female name in some language unknown to me? Or is it so unlikely that a dad could relate in that way to his daughter? Or that a daughter would listen to a dad talking to her about this topic?

No offence, I'm just curious.

In all totality, I probably should have changed that...

Oh well. OP, if I used the wrong word here let me know and i'll change it.

4 minutes ago, MiraMeyneth said:

OP, if I used the wrong word here let me know and i'll change it.

You were right. She referred to herself as a mom right after the giant cakes. And that made me wonder how you knew :-)

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2017 at 9:48 PM, zooyork said:

She really did a happy dance when she said, "I'm asexual!" 

Oh my gosh, this is so sweet...I think I'm tearing up a little! 

Thank you for being so understanding and making the effort to make sure your daughter feels comfortable with who she is. I think I speak for the majority of the ace community when I say a lot of us wish our family and friends were as accepting as you are. I know I don't know you personally, but you seem like a fantastic parent to me! Your daughter is very lucky to have you! 

Archived