Asexual Flag and Symbol!?

Chip123

hey people. was just wondering whether we have a flag yet that people have agreed on!? also wondering about the heart symbol. is that the agreed symbol for asexuality?? i we dont have an agreed symbol or flag yet, then maybe we should draw up some ideas and then put it to a vote

Shadow girl

Not yet. I put up a tread about this months ago but in time I thought this would be cool

Asexuality_Symbol.jpg

or

Asexbadge.png

genuineillusion

I don't know. I'm not fond of the heart one. It makes me feel like it's saying that we don't/can't use our whole hearts.

This has been discussed ad nauseam. See:

http://www.asexuality.org/discussion/viewtopic.php?t=14318

http://www.asexuality.org/discussion/viewtopic.php?t=13091

http://www.asexuality.org/discussion/viewtopic.php?t=10695

http://www.asexuality.org/discussion/viewtopic.php?t=9175

There will never be a consensus on what symbol or picture to use.

I, personally, am a fan of the AVEN triangle, but hate the half filled in heart.

SomeoneElse

I think that is should be a grey hyperbola or hexagon.

Grey because it is sort of the opposite of gay flag.

Hyperbola because it is opposite of circle, like the circles used to represent male and female.

or Hexagon because it is the shape formed inside of a combined triangle and inverted triangle. (male and female)

Woah there sprocket. I'll direct you to the current homepage of AlterNet:

I believe there's a wide range of human behavior that deserves to be recognized as normal and healthy, but old stereotypes die hard. When I learn that Jay's main mode of transportation around San Francisco is a pair of rollerblades, I think to myself, "This man is gay."

Asexuality, and I really don't know how else to tell this to you, is kinda gay. I'm not gonna name any names here, but somehow somewhere some people modeled this community's conceptual framework on the idea of a sexual orientation, built it using discursive community-building strategies straight out of queer politics, engaged the popular press (and the rest of mainstream culture) by piggybacking on popular conceptions of sexual identity, and gave their website a lavender (fucking) background. We're gayer than white cake with red hots.

• 2 weeks later...
SpirallingSnowy

maybe a flag like this:

silver

( choose whatever colour you like)

silver

and we can have AVEN wwritten in the middle, and choosing the colour ourselves will show that AVEN is diverse!!! :)

• 3 weeks later...
Inconspicuous

Asexbadge.png

is it just me, or did you just write "asex" in an ugly, non-antialiased (aliased?) font in an off centre location on the flag that i made?

i mean, i have no problem with other people using my image freely, but... :/

• 1 month later...
Shadow girl

That was my little bro's idea he just wanted me to post it. Personally if you take off ASEX it would be cooler and not as "loud".

...Come on kids. Let's be chill little bunnies.

Personally, I like the symbol we have now. I'd like it if it was more heavily gradated and even towards the bottom, but meh. And seeing the ones with just the black triangle at the bottom makes me think, "It that...is that a snowcone with liquid death in the bottom?" But that's probably just me.

Anyways. I doubt we'll ever come to a consensus on an image. Hell, I know gay people who absolutely HATE the pink triangle, the rainbow flag, etc...

And I'm not too keen on flags, personally.

• 2 months later...
maybe a flag like this:

silver

( choose whatever colour you like)

silver

and we can have AVEN wwritten in the middle, and choosing the colour ourselves will show that AVEN is diverse!!! :)

I like it! Since I have a small obsession with silver things...but wouldn't that look nifty?

I personally would like to stay away from the whole upside down triangle look. I think that this might create the assumption that we are related closely with the transgender community. Though I completely support anything remotely associated with the gay/lesbian/bi/trans community, I would rather not have to explain to everyone that I am straight, I just don't have sexual impulses.

• 4 weeks later...
Hyperbola because it is opposite of circle, like the circles used to represent male and female.

You know, I was just thinking of something similar the other day. Since 2 male signs (the circle with the arrow) means gay (I think), and 2 female signs (the circle with the cross) means lesbian (I think), and 1 male and one female sign together mean straight (so I also think), I was wondering what an asexual sign is. Then I thought maybe it was a pain circle, since it doesn't have the cross or the arrow, so it doesn't show a relationship. I don't know if that really makes sense though since it's hard to explain.

• 1 month later...
Not yet. I put up a tread about this months ago but in time I thought this would be cool

Asexuality_Symbol.jpg

or

Asexbadge.png

I like both of them!

I don't like the heart. I like our triangle, but I would like to see some better shading.

Also in one of those threads somebody suggested we use a planet symbol: Venus is generally considered to be female, Mars male, and the two are often used for sexuality or sexual connotations...so we could be a different planet symbol. Someone suggested Neptune. I prefer Mercury, because Mercury is ever changing and fluid. The Mercury symbol is the Venus symbol with two "horn" looking things. For me that's perfect - I'm a female but I tend to break the mold and be a "bad female". But I am guessing most non-females won't like Mercury. Maybe any non-Venus or Mars symbol could be taken as a symbol of asexuality, so each flavor of asexual can choose the one they like the best.

http://solarsystem.nasa.gov/multimedia/gal...all_symbols.jpg

Asexuality_Symbol.jpg

or

Asexbadge.png

I like both of them!

Could someone please explain the upside down triangle? It reminds me of (yuck!) a female genital... Seriously... Whith dark pubic hair... YUCK! That not asexual, people! At least explain it... I don't really have the time to search through the threads... :wink:

A lot of things remind you of genitalia, don't they, Mistah J? :?

The triangle is meant to represent the spectrum of human sexuality. One one side is heterosexuality, at the other side is homosexuality, bisexuality is in between those, and asexuality is at the bottom. The bottom is painted black to emphasize it, although in the real AVEN logo it blends into the other sexualities with a gradient, because all of the questioning and demi-sexual sorts of people who don't fall neatly into any category.

Now, seriously... Just think for a moment... Doesn't it? It's bugging me that I'm on an asexual forum and almost everywhere I read it's either something with a sexual connotation or something that has to do with, brings up or represents a sexual thing... Ask anyone who is or has been a sexual: what does the triangle reminds you of from a human body? Just try to do this and you'll see... :shock:

The triangle is meant to represent the spectrum of human sexuality. One one side is heterosexuality, at the other side is homosexuality, bisexuality is in between those, and asexuality is at the bottom. The bottom is painted black to emphasize it, although in the real AVEN logo it blends into the other sexualities with a gradient, because all of the questioning and demi-sexual sorts of people who don't fall neatly into any category.

So why are asexuals at the bottom? Are we inferior or... something like that? I don't feel inferiour... (I feel superior, but that's my own problem). Why shouldn't it be a normal triangle, a standing one? :?

Now, seriously... Just think for a moment... Doesn't it? It's bugging me that I'm on an asexual forum and almost everywhere I read it's either something with a sexual connotation or something that has to do with, brings up or represents a sexual thing... Ask anyone who is or has been a sexual: what does the triangle reminds you of from a human body? Just try to do this and you'll see... :shock:

Well, you see, most asexuals don't look for the sexual connotations. We don't realize that it can mean something sexual, because we're so used to living and thinking without sexual elements.

And, plus, practically everything has some sort of sexual meaning these days. Seriously. You'd have to try really hard to find something that is not, in any way possible, sexual in the least bit.

So why are asexuals at the bottom? Are we inferior or... something like that? I don't feel inferiour... (I feel superior, but that's my own problem). Why shouldn't it be a normal triangle, a standing one? :?

That's because the upside-down triangle is based on the Kinsey Scale --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinsey_scale

One side of the scale is homosexuality (6), the other is heterosexuality (0), and the middle is bisexuality (3).

But asexuality's not on there. So, we made our line off of the Kinsey scale, to form a triangle. *shrug* That's really all it is.

And, well, I suppose you could keep on going around and finding sexual undercurrents in everything on this board (like cake in that thread in Q&A... :shock: ) but it's really not gonna do you any good :?

huh.. I mean I can see what Mistah J is saying -- but you know what to me it is still just a triangle... mainly because my brain isn't programmed that way

now someone may say something and my mind goes to the gutter but I think it has been preprogrammed by society to do that

As spinneret said, there's nothing necessarily "yuck" about a woman's body to those of us living inside one. I do prefer the shaded triangle to this one with chunks of colour, aesthetically, as well as symbolically - sorry, Shadowgirl! And it has now been explained, Mistah J, on both current threads on this topic (as well as past ones).

• 2 weeks later...

I cannot stress enough how much I dislike the half-shaded trangle.

It signifies that a part of the person is missing, and it would be best not to denote the group with such a message.

I cannot stress enough how much I dislike the half-shaded trangle.

It signifies that a part of the person is missing, and it would be best not to denote the group with such a message.

I never thought it signified anything missing...because it doesn't represent a person, it represents where a person falls...but okay....

I like it when it is evenly shaded from top to bottom but I realize it is difficult to achieve that sometimes. I like that we're on the colorful end!! Yay for being colorful!

But maybe we need to distinguish between an AVEN flag and an asexuality flag. The AVEN flag would most definitely be the triangle, and maybe the word AVEN. The asexuality flag could be something completely different.

Archived