swimsuit

Jea

Hi :cake:

So I've been looking for a new swimsuit for a while now, but I can't find one that fits all my requirements.

First, I need one that is comfortable, I like jumping in waves and such, and it should hold into place despite the movement. Then, I don't feel comfortable with only a bra-like top, and brassieres make my breasts look big. One piece suits flatten my chest, which I like better, but I don't like to remove hairs between my legs and they are visible with one-piece suits :angry:

Then (the part that makes my quest impossible) despite all this, I don't want to look conservative, prude, or self-conscious. I don't mind showing skin, and I want to fit in with my friends. And therefore, wearing boardshorts with a top is not a solution, as I thought it would be.

Does anyone have advice on how to meet all these requirements? Or should I just give up on refusing to depilate hairs and buy a good ol' one piece swimsuit? Any advice would be welcome ^_^

If you can manage to find it somewhere - I would go for a tankini with shorts. But I am not very optimistic since I haven't been able to find such a swimsuit for myself. Not that I am actively looking, mind you.

Scottthespy

You might have to buy two swim suites...one for the tank top and one for the shorts...or hit up a local second hand store and find a mix and match area of swim wear. 

Here's another possible solution though...I also don't like shaving between my legs (dangerous and unhealthy), but I also live a block away from a beach, so swimming is kind of always on the docket. Instead of shaving, I'll trim the hair to a more manageable length with an ordinary pair of scissors. Takes like five minutes maybe twice a month, and has the added bonus of not tangling and getting caught in pads and stuff like that. 

Not all of the skirted bottoms look frumpy. There are also what they call boy shorts bottoms. I feel for you. Even just trying to trim the hair with scissors leaves little red bumps when I do it and I can't even think about pouring hot wax on my skin.

RoseGoesToYale

You could look into 1940s-style swimsuits (usually one pieces, but with a short tight skirt that covers all or part of the bottoms). The top is usually sweetheart cut with a neck strap, but really they come an any color and style imaginable. Probably no danger of these coming off, even the two-piece ones.

Thanks all, and sorry for the late reply!

Your ideas are interesting, thank you. The problem with all shorts is that they look quite prudish as swimwear unless they are worn with revealing tops, which is a no-no for me. So there is really no solution to my problem, unless I give up on one of my criteria. This entire thing is just so annoying :huh:

On 25/06/2017 at 6:12 PM, Scottthespy said:

I also live a block away from a beach

I also live close to the beach so I go there a lot. Most of the time I go on my own so I don't mind how I look! But on some occasions it's a good place to meet up with friends, and that's where my problem is :P

On 25/06/2017 at 6:12 PM, Scottthespy said:

Instead of shaving, I'll trim the hair to a more manageable length with an ordinary pair of scissors.

Cutting the hair shorter sounds like a good idea. Have you done that for long? Doesn't the hair become darker or thicker if you do that?

On 25/06/2017 at 2:57 PM, Findus said:

Then (the part that makes my quest impossible) despite all this, I don't want to look conservative, prude, or self-conscious. I don't mind showing skin, and I want to fit in with my friends. And therefore, wearing boardshorts with a top is not a solution, as I thought it would be.

I'm a bit confused why this was originally a solution if you don't want to look, as you put it, "conservative, prude, or self-conscious". Why does this worry you? I only ask because the line about wanting to fit in with your friends kind of suggests your main issue about it is being judged by other people, rather than your own personal preference.

Also, I've seen quite a few women's swim shorts that don't look all that prudish to me. There are ones that are more baggy and look closer to male style swim shorts, but there are also shorter, form fitting ones that don't look particularly conservative at all. There are also these swim skirt things that are basically short skirts connected to normal bottoms, which may or may not look conservative depending on the length but could solve the hair issue. As for the top, if you can't find a tankini top or similar that appeals to you, you could maybe go for the bra like tops and wear something like a crop top over it (one you wouldn't mind getting wet). Not sure if that would still make your breast look too big or not but thought I'd mention it.

Scottthespy
1 hour ago, Findus said:

Thanks all, and sorry for the late reply!

Your ideas are interesting, thank you. The problem with all shorts is that they look quite prudish as swimwear unless they are worn with revealing tops, which is a no-no for me. So there is really no solution to my problem, unless I give up on one of my criteria. This entire thing is just so annoying :huh:

I also live close to the beach so I go there a lot. Most of the time I go on my own so I don't mind how I look! But on some occasions it's a good place to meet up with friends, and that's where my problem is :P

Cutting the hair shorter sounds like a good idea. Have you done that for long? Doesn't the hair become darker or thicker if you do that?

No, and that doesn't happen with shaving either. That myth started because when you DO shave a hair, the short stub that starts growing back is sheered off flat, and looks thicker because it's not tapering like normal hair. 

Cutting hair anywhere on your body is like cutting the hair on your head...the hair you see is already dead, anything you do to it wont effect hair that has yet to grow. Damaging the follicle on the skin can effect hair, which is why colours and bleach can have lasting effects, but cutting, breaking, burning, or dying the visible part of hair without touching the skin, will have no effect on how new hair will grow. Not that I recommend breaking or burning hair. 

swirl_of_blue

I think you should be able to find some sort of a tankini with very short shorts, a friend of mine had one like that. It basically looked like she was wearing a normal swimsuit except that the bottom was cut similarly to men's boxer briefs. No shaving between the legs necessary, but also no extra covering on the legs, just an inch or two from the crotch. Didn't look conservative to me, and very comfortable.

I wear a wet suit.  Enough other people wear them in the ocean I don't stand out, especially if I bring a surf board or a snorkel. I never get nasty sunburns on my shoulders or feel uncomfortable about the amount of skin showing.  And nothing is more supportive and comfortable than a wet suit :) 

Also, there is nothing wrong with wearing more conservative apparel.  Wear whatever makes you feel most comfortable.  Stop worrying about what your friends will think.  They should support you wearing whatever you want.

Mezzo Forte

I'm paranoid about sunburns and skin cancer, so I cover quite a bit of skin with my swimsuits. (I burn super easily, and I've had family members get skin cancer from overexposure to the sun.) I wear board shorts and rash guards, though as a small confession, I still wear a bikini bottom as "underwear" because I don't like being commando underneath the shorts. :lol: I also recently had surgery on my chest, and since sunlight can make scars appear more prominent, I've committed myself to hiding those scars from the sun for at least one year. So yeah, my swimwear often covers more skin than my regular clothes.

If you don't mind the implications of modest apparel, there are some great modest swimsuit sellers out there. You don't have to go for full coverage, they've often got short shorts and skorts that could fit the bill. Main downside is they're mostly online, so you'd have to wing it a bit re:sizing. 

That being said, I second what others have said about finding something that's comfortable for you as a priority. 

On 26/06/2017 at 10:03 PM, Emanresu Yllisa said:

I'm a bit confused why this was originally a solution if you don't want to look, as you put it, "conservative, prude, or self-conscious". Why does this worry you? I only ask because the line about wanting to fit in with your friends kind of suggests your main issue about it is being judged by other people, rather than your own personal preference.

Yes you are right, my wording was not precise enough. I am not worried of what they will think, I want to feel like I am one of them. It's not about what they think, it's about how I feel in relationship to them. If I don't feel included, I start acting awkward, etc. It's only for little things like this that I think in this way, most of the time I do really think only in terms of personal preference.

On 26/06/2017 at 10:16 PM, Scottthespy said:

Cutting hair anywhere on your body is like cutting the hair on your head...the hair you see is already dead, anything you do to it wont effect hair that has yet to grow.

That's really amazing information to have, thank you!

On 27/06/2017 at 5:56 AM, Mezzo Forte said:

I'm paranoid about sunburns and skin cancer, so I cover quite a bit of skin with my swimsuits. (I burn super easily, and I've had family members get skin cancer from overexposure to the sun.)

Same here, I once got a sunburn through reverberation while sitting in the shadow. I solve this by going early or late, not by covering my skin, because there is always going to be something that's not covered (not that it's useless to do as much as possible, it does help too). So I am always back by 11 am and do not leave again until 5 pm :)

Thanks all so much for all the advice :cake::cake:

Archived