are we inside a simulation ?

AVEN #1 fan

AVEN #1 fan

Maybe I've been watching too much rick and morty.

But this  got me thinking:

Could we ever be able to invent an realistic simulation in which you would have no idea you're inside a simulation ?

What if we could live inside simulations ? Like the girl in madeon's shelter video. ..

wouldn't that be lonely  ?

I Also mean what would happen.... like we could be like gods inside these simulations and then life would be pointless for many people .

What's the definition of real then? We're as real as each other,  how to know if our reality is not real if we can't look from outside of it ?

What if reality is nothing more but a dream or a simulation?  and our bodies are just tools used by our consciousness to experience it?  Are our consciousness even real?

What if we are inside a video game that can be turn off at any moment and we so can no longer exist anymore.

What if death is the end of the simulation? 

AVEN #1 fan
Just now, Ms. Maya the Bee said:

How do we escape from this reality

Throughout dreams.

This is why I'm so obsessed with that simulated reality video. Specifically the ending (20:29). If we could live in the kind of thing I want, we could be and do anything. Reality isn't like that. Dreams don't do anything, you're still gonna wake up to this world.

TL:DR reality sucks because we can't shapeshift and be demigods until we get bored of it. Maybe I'm just romantisizing something that's not that cool at all.

AVEN #1 fan
Just now, (D)anny said:

This is why I'm so obsessed with that simulated reality video. Specifically the ending (20:29). If we could live in the kind of thing I want, we could be and do anything. Reality isn't like that. Dreams don't do anything, you're still gonna wake up to this world.

TL:DR reality sucks because we can't shapeshift and be demigods until we get bored of it. Maybe I'm just romantisizing something that's not that cool at all.

Well... the only place you can control stuff is inside your dreams.

Reality gets boring once you get out of distractions/purposes to your life and you have no motivation to do anything else.

Life gets pointless to yourself when you get comfortable with it. It's called winner/rich people complex, when you stop dreaming, have everything you want or  accept the chaotic nature of life, life gets pointless/purposeless  bc since we don't know the real meaning of life (or if there's any at all), we need to constantly put purpose into our lives. Life just become a waste of time... people just try to distract themselves while wasting this time.

I completely support simulation hypothesis. In fact, I don't even believe in the Big Bang: it seems more likely that this universe extends to infinity both to the past and to the future, and that infinite parallel universes do, because there must be some hyperdimension which transcends time and space, and we're just tiny fractions of it (it features infinite three-dimensional universes, which any entity would be able to navigate between: just as we navigate between infinite two-dimensional planes all the time).

On the topic of Shelter. Shelter is horrific. While the girl's 17, it's all okay: but in one hundred years, her body will start decomposing, and she'll have to go through that in the simulation (as its aging is reflected in the cybereality). There's no form of suicide, and the toll that'll take on her mental health is terrible. Thousands of years, trapped alone? That's psychological torture. Her father didn't do her a favour. He punished her in one of the cruellest ways imaginable.

It's also incorrect from a scientific perspective. The proximity of Jupiter to Earth would have triggered mass tsunamis and global breakdown by the end, before she was launched.

I believe the girl made the entire story (planet crashing, father, et cetera) up- it's a figment of her imagination. She's spent 2578 days in space, it's perfectly reasonable. Or perhaps she was there for some other reason (like NASA) and those memories were implanted so that she could sustain her mental wellbeing for longer.

Anyway.

1 hour ago, AVEN #1 fan said:

Throughout dreams.

Dreams are better than reality. People wonder about when VR will become superior to the real world, but we've had a better alternative for millennia: lucid dreaming. It's strange how most people don't try to do it regularly.

Anthracite_Impreza

I mean I severely doubt we are, but since we wouldn't be able to tell anyway what would it matter?

there are no starships in my dreams.

Guest And Peggy
14 hours ago, AVEN #1 fan said:

Well... the only place you can control stuff is inside your dreams.

Actually, you can only control stuff in lucid dream, which is fucking hard to achieve. 

This is real, like it or not. 

Anthracite_Impreza
54 minutes ago, And Peggy said:

Actually, you can only control stuff in lucid dream, which is fucking hard to achieve. 

I wouldn't want to control my dreams, I love the stuff my brain comes up with :P

It ... Doesn't matter? If the simulation resembles the real universe even when you look at the individual atoms, then there's no meaningful difference between the simulation and reality at all. I suppose the simulation can theoretically be turned off if its makers get bored, but why worry about that? Nothing about this belief changes anything. It's worse than other religions in that aspect, because it suggests that nothing you do even matters.

Maybe the one benefit is that when it's 'game over' you wake up and go back to your real life, but if this is all a giant video game it's the worst, boringest, most repetitive game I've ever played.

The more you control your dreams, the less realistic it becomes. I personally have tested the limits of lucid dreaming. 

2 hours ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

I wouldn't want to control my dreams, I love the stuff my brain comes up with :P

I stopped lucid dreaming because of this. It is great being god and all, but the thrill of a dream is much more satisfying when you are not in control, or only partially in control. I still can't help steer my dream into more satisfying situations. 

AVEN #1 fan
17 minutes ago, Maou-sama said:

The more you control your dreams, the less realistic it becomes. I personally have tested the limits of lucid dreaming. 

I stopped lucid dreaming because of this. It is great being god and all, but the thrill of a dream is much more satisfying when you are not in control, or only partially in control. I still can't help steer my dream into more satisfying situations. 

Can't the same be said about life?

3 hours ago, AVEN #1 fan said:

Can't the same be said about life?

Now we are talking philosophy :P 

I would argue life has the same rules, but one doesn't have the same power or courage. Life is scary, and we actually worry about things happening. Unforeseen circumstance etc. If you had known me long enough, you will have noticed how much I talk about controlling perception, and my own mindset about things. Also my ability to change it. So you can say literally, my lucid abilities affected me irl.

If we ever get to the deepest point of the quantum level and we find 1's and 0's we'll pretty much know we're in a simulation, but if there isn't a smallest quantum particle then it's pretty safe to say we're in the base reality. 

I think about this a lot. 

If we live in a game simulation, I also criticize the game designers for having the capability to create an entire universe and jam our alien consciousness into it for entertainment (if we're going the Rick and Morty route, that is), and somehow not having the creativity to make a more interesting universe. Our sim universe is so damn boring that we make up other, more interesting universes in novels/games/in our heads. How pathetic is it that some civilization might have the ability to do this and we're constrained by so much unnecessary stuff -- we could have a Star Wars Universe, people! They better put in Pokemon in the next patch, or I'm not renewing my subscription. 

I reject the idea we're in a simulated reality solely on the basis that whatever is capable of doing that is surely more creative than this

13 hours ago, Arte said:

If we ever get to the deepest point of the quantum level and we find 1's and 0's we'll pretty much know we're in a simulation, but if there isn't a smallest quantum particle then it's pretty safe to say we're in the base reality. 

I don't think size exists. There is infinitely smaller or larger particles. Like a fractal.

3 hours ago, Maou-sama said:

I don't think size exists. There is infinitely smaller or larger particles. Like a fractal.

Spacetime may not be continuous. The Planck length may very well be the smallest one can go. Below which "size" lacks any meaning. Whether or not this is the case will all depend on a complete theory of quantum gravity (combining General Relativity and Quantum Mechanics), which we currently lack. All this means is that spacetime might be granular and have an "atomic" structure analogous to that which matter has. As for whether or not we're in a simulation; I'd argue that we are not simply because nature doesn't seem to have any goal or "direction". I mean other than time moving forward and the thermodynamic implications of that. Humans and our consciousness are just byproducts of natural laws working in conjunction to create complex phenomenon that seem astounding (and indeed they are astounding). That's why I suspect there's no simulation, or any real reason for the universe's existence for that matter. If there is a creator(s) and we are somehow in a simulation, then said creators are truly beyond human comprehension.

MiraMeyneth

I find myself thinking about this often. 

If you think about it, it would be a curious reason if we actually were in a simulation. Programmers write code for a purpose, be it whether to satiate boredom, create a program to help or give others joy, or to fulfill menial tasks and operations that are too heavy or nearly impossible for humans to do.

When I look at the world today, I don't see a grand purpose humanity is fulfilling, be it for the needs of a creator, or to do tasks some sort of creator cannot do. Humanity keeps marching forward, seemingly for no apparent reason at all. It's gotten to the point where many people have realized that there's going to be no sort of true purpose that'll magically come to them, but must learn to give their own lives meaning, by themselves. This would lead one to assume that their purpose is to carry on the human race, via reproducing and passing their genes down. It's incredibly easy to fall into that assumption, as after all, it benefits humanity (Yes, I know about the world's overpopulation problem, but it does add more of a chance of some humans living through the overpopulation crisis) and yet for people who choose not to go down that path of marrying and having kids  are seemingly not part of the equation. 

If we had some sort of all knowing creator who created this universe within a simulation, then it seems that they have forgotten about those who simply choose not to reproduce or cannot due to certain circumstances. If the creator/programmer took these people into the equation, then either they programmed this universe out of boredom, or their purpose is far beyond human reasoning, I think.

Why do we need a purpose at all?

Anthracite_Impreza
21 hours ago, Maou-sama said:

I'm a natural second-in-command, this applies to dreams too ;) 

Perissodactyla

"Having completed the four visions before death, the individual focuses on the lights that surround the fingers. His or her physical body self-liberates into a nonmaterial body of rainbow light with the ability to exist and abide wherever and whenever as pointed by one's compassion."

5 hours ago, Maou-sama said:

If this is base reality, I think you're right. The implications of that are very strange though and drive me to nihilistic thoughts. It's also very difficult to understand what it means to not have a smallest point that can then act as a reference to everything else. It seems as though to me, without a solid point of reference, matter on a quantum level is more like a fluid suspended in space, but that doesn't make much sense either...

17 minutes ago, Arte said:

If this is base reality, I think you're right. The implications of that are very strange though and drive me to nihilistic thoughts. It's also very difficult to understand what it means to not have a smallest point that can then act as a reference to everything else. It seems as though to me, without a solid point of reference, matter on a quantum level is more like a fluid suspended in space, but that doesn't make much sense either...

I think people rely too much on animal perception. Take perception out of it, and things seem to make sense. Perception is the flaw in understanding the universe, but at the same time, the only way we can. 

1 hour ago, Maou-sama said:

I think people rely too much on animal perception. Take perception out of it, and things seem to make sense. Perception is the flaw in understanding the universe, but at the same time, the only way we can. 

Animal perception is literally the only thing we have unless you believe in a metaphysical soul?  But I understand what you mean, however I'm still not making sense of how matter could be infinitely small, other than through logic telling me it must be. But I'm having a hard time visualizing how that could be the case. The implication would be that you or I or a cup or anything has infinite parts. But how could that be? 

Archived